Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW MUFF INSTALLED...........SMOKE??? (Read 3 times)
southerngirl
Ex Member

NEW MUFF INSTALLED...........SMOKE???
09/24/07 at 16:20:43

I installed the dyna muff today and I put the factory shield back on, It sounded really good so I rode around the block to see if it felt different....When I got home it was smoking......just a lil bit, I took shield back off and it was coming from the clamp area.....Is my clamp not tight enough, is the aluminum can melting, what did I do to my poor bike?????

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: NEW MUFF INSTALLED...........SMOKE???
Reply #1 - 09/24/07 at 16:27:14

Is it a BRAND NEW muffler? If so there may be a coating inside it, (some factorys put a small coating of rust preventive while they keep it stored in their warehouse.) That may be burning off.

But yes, check your clamp also. As you ride, the metal will obviously heat up which causes expansion.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
southerngirl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/24/07 at 16:33:04

It is a take off...not new.... I tightened the clamp as tight as I could, BUT I also could not get the muff all the way to the ridge, i tugged, pulled, did everything I could, even without the aluminum can pieces it wouldnt go all the way to the ridge,

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 09/24/07 at 16:35:10

I've noticed that many here have had to get a ten degree bend/extension made because the angle would not let the muffler go all the way on. That could be your problem then.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 09/24/07 at 17:05:31

Factory clamp will only go so tight then it hits.   I saw posts to use a Harley clamp and also a post to use a auto muffler clamp.
  I trimmed a little off the tabs on my factory clamp, the inner thing/flange/clamp hole (pick one).  
  Also,  I noticed that my bolt was in poor shape, so I drill out the welded on nut and put on a hardened bolt (grade 8).  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 09/24/07 at 17:40:34

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I've noticed that many here have had to get a ten degree bend/extension made because the angle would not let the muffler go all the way on. That could be your problem then.

I'm a little confused....dont know alot about mufflers,but I thought someone else said a 5 degree was enough!?
Just thought I'd ask!?

Also for southerngirl.....if the seller said it would fit,I'm wondering if you could email him and ask him what's wrong...if he said it would fit,which I think he did,then he should help you.....just an idea Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 09/24/07 at 17:45:24

I believe some bikes take a 5 degree, and others 10 degree. I think it all depends on the frame tolerances of the individual frame. (But I'm just guessing here) Though I do know that at least one person here has said he needed to have a 10 degree bent fabricated.

IP Logged
southerngirl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/24/07 at 17:47:47

it came with a big heavy duty clamp, I am just a girl, so maybe i need a lil more elbow grease to get it tighter... I will try to get some big stong man around here to try to tighten it tighter for me.... Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/24/07 at 18:31:51

You could try putting a 2x4 square against the back of muffer and tap it with a hammer to get it on tighter be sure its against a wall so bike dont fall over

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 09/25/07 at 07:50:30

Every so often when my muffler comes loose I have to whack it with a rubber mallet on the end of the pipe to get it to go back over the stock header pipe.  Then I re-tighten the clamps.

The board and hammer are good too, just make sure on either method that you have the implement square on, or you may end up bending the connection.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEW MUFF INSTALLED...........SMOKE???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.