Oil leak???? (Read 4 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Oil leak????
09/24/07 at 13:51:45

After a long ride on Friday, I parked the bike and went in the house for a few hours.

When I came out later that evening, I found a small puddle of oil under the engine on the garage floor.

I mopped it up and then tried to find the source.

On both engine case housings, the bolts were loose.  Not terribly loose, but around 1/4 turn loose... I snugged them up and kept poking around.

I found the oil was comming from the speedometer cable, where it connects into transmission case.

I cleaned it up, then took the cable off and inspected it.

The spindle was oily as was the interior of the cable.  I cleaned them both out, then snugged it back down.

Well, after riding to work and back again, I found that the speedo cable was again wet with oil.  Not soaked like last time and it wasn't dripping on the floor.   But it was comming up through there none the less.

I don't think this is normal.  Is it?  If not, what should I look into to fix it?

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Oil leak????
Reply #1 - 09/24/07 at 14:08:20

I haven't had mine disconnected, but rumor control says there is an o-ring that is notorious for falling into the hole under the starter when you pull the cable.

You might want to see if yours is still there.. and if it looks ok.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #2 - 09/24/07 at 14:14:32

There is a flat rubber washer on the tranny side of the speedo cable. It sits around the cable housing under the knurl or finger nut. If it is not there, you will leak oil. I dropped mine onto the garage floor without knowing it the first time I pulled the tank. Fortunately stumbled across it and wondered, "Where did this come from?" Before I rode next though, I saw a post on the problem. If it is lost, you can replace it with a same sized O-Ring, or you can order another washer from www.ronayers.com

Look for a penny diameter flat rubber washer on the floor or on the bike.

Good Luck

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 09/24/07 at 14:41:34

it's not there.

I must've lost it the last time I had the tank off (when I installed the cone filter.

I went over the parts fische a few times, and I'll be darned if I can find that o-ring listed (I looked on the speedometer, transmission and engine case sub-sections.)

Any idea what the part number would be, or can I run to my local House Despot and get a rubber washer to fit?

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #4 - 09/24/07 at 14:51:05

The OEM part is metal reinforced it seems so you can snug it down tighter.  Be careful, as it seals correctly only one way, with the rubber V groove facing down.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/24/07 at 15:26:40

I have made an Oring to fit by cutting one down. Mine doesnt leak. Just grab an oring & a razor blad, cut at an angle, look at the size it needs to be & cut the other end to overlap the angle already cut. Orient each slice so they line up & arent twisted but overlap. Poke it up in the cup & wind it down tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 09/24/07 at 17:23:36

Hmmmmm ... just went thru my microfische print out (really handy thing,  but tediuous to make, lots of copy & Paste into EXCEL).  There is no listing for the "seal" ... Yes, seal as it is shaped just like an oil seal.  

I also went thru the Factroy Service manual and no listing there either.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 09/24/07 at 21:30:54

there are couple of different ways to handle the situation. It is up to You what will you preffer.
1.You order the part , you ride the bike and the bike is leaking oil until the part comes. You install it and everything is OK.
2.You go to the hardwear store, Yoou pick up an o-ring with sutable diameter and You install it- no leak.
3. You take a piece of rubber hose with adequate diameter, You cut a small slice and You use it like an O-ring.
4. Any temporary fix / 2 or 3 / until the OEM part comes.

Or even better- You remove the starter motor /5 min/ and You find the original part under it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 09/25/07 at 04:21:53

My '07 was recently leaking enough to notice from the same place.  You folks with new bikes might want to make sure the speedo cable is tight!

Keenie

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 09/25/07 at 05:46:49

Here's what I did.

I went to Lewds Home Disprovement this morning and picked up a pack of faucet seats (rubber washers for the spigot in your bathroom.)

They each had a 1/4" hole in the center and were roughly 3/4" in diameter, 1/8" thick.

I used a 7/16" drill bit to open the center sufficient enough to allow the speedometer spindle clearance.  I then pushed the washer onto a 7/16" dowel rod and used the drill and a piece of 100 grit sand paper as a lathe, turning the washer down to fit inside the cap.

I reassembled it and took it for a short ride.

So far, so good.

In the mean time, everyone has sufficiently described the washer/o-ring.  Can anyone find a part number for it> ( I wasn't crazy, was I T-mack?)

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 09/25/07 at 07:27:32

there is no part # (stealership couldnt find one either)think it comes when you order a new cable...got my o rings at the hrdwre store..lost 2 so far in 18 months!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/25/07 at 09:14:56

Skrappy,, GOOD Move!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/25/07 at 09:53:35

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Here's what I did.

I went to Lewds Home Disprovement this morning and picked up a pack of faucet seats (rubber washers for the spigot in your bathroom.)

They each had a 1/4" hole in the center and were roughly 3/4" in diameter, 1/8" thick.

I used a 7/16" drill bit to open the center sufficient enough to allow the speedometer spindle clearance.  I then pushed the washer onto a 7/16" dowel rod and used the drill and a piece of 100 grit sand paper as a lathe, turning the washer down to fit inside the cap.

I reassembled it and took it for a short ride.

So far, so good.

In the mean time, everyone has sufficiently described the washer/o-ring.  Can anyone find a part number for it> ( I wasn't crazy, was I T-mack?)

You'll want to watch those as they're not likely compatible with petroleum products and will begin dissolving.  You'll probably want something like nitrile o-rings.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 09/25/07 at 12:03:06

Good point, Rob.

The only thnig that may or may not make any difference is I am using 100% synthetic motor oil.  There is no petroleum to degrade the rubber.

But that begs the question, what will the synthetic oil do to the natural rubber?

I think I'm going to pop over the Adavnce Auto and see what they have as far as o-rings.  

I wonder if I could get nitrile o-rings for fuel injectors that might do the trick...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/25/07 at 13:12:54

I picked up a decent assortment or nitrile o-rings at Harbor Freight for just a few dollars.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:21:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.