Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motor is UNSALVAGEABLE pictures added (Read 20 times)
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Motor is UNSALVAGEABLE pictures added
09/23/07 at 19:09:36

Tore Dee's bike apart today...
UNSALVAGEABLE!!!!

Wiped out Cam Journal, scored cam lobes, badly worn out/scored rocker arm at cam side. Now for the REAL unsalvageable damage...
completely broke off one of the exhaust valves into the cylinder. Banged around and DESTROYED the head, plug, other valves, severely scarred the cylinder walls and punched holes in top of the piston. I did notice ALOT of oil residue on the INTAKE side and in the carb. It had to be using oil and leaking for a while to have sucked that much oil. I did notice the oil last time I checked the air filter. SO it was excessively blowing oil out the vent tube to the air box.

WOW WHAT SITE!!
I am glad the pieces did not cause the bottom end/tranny to lock up and skid the rear wheel, otherwise she would be in the hospital or worse! It blew on an overpass sweeping left hander on ramp at about 60 mph.

Motor will be here tuesday HOPEFULLY I can get it running and on the road for Saturday's ride, she hates "RIDING" on mine now that she has her own!

Here is the link to the pictures of her engine...

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=115026

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Motor is UNSALVAGEABLE
Reply #1 - 09/23/07 at 19:39:27

Are you saying it ran out of oil because it was slinging, blowing, suckin & burnin it so fast?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/07 at 19:43:09

was not leaking. It had to have sucked it up!

burned almost 2 qts in less than 1000 miles.

The lack of oil on a LONG FAST trip from KS to texas at 70 mph for 4-5 hours caused all the worn out damaged parts then the ticking/loud clicking and then BOOM!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 09/23/07 at 20:15:53

You mentioned the cam lobes are scored, how about the bearing surfaces?  If you are not going to use it I would like to buy it from you if it is usable...or if you are interested in a performance cam and it is usable then we can recycle it.

IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/24/07 at 19:47:00

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
You mentioned the cam lobes are scored, how about the bearing surfaces?  If you are not going to use it I would like to buy it from you if it is usable...or if you are interested in a performance cam and it is usable then we can recycle it.

I am a hot rodder from way back...
THIS cam is JUNK!

Unless I decide to make this cam into some sort of trinket, we might talk later about getting it to you.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 09/24/07 at 20:18:35

It does not matter if the cam lobes are damaged, they may possibly be rebuildable.
I will pay the shipping cost to me if you will send it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/25/07 at 01:08:34

If it would make a core, this might be a good time to grab a hotter cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #7 - 09/26/07 at 13:21:12

This is the second time I've read about a dropped valve on our LS650's.  Another fatal flaw like the cam chain; any ideas  on the cause?  The most likely scenario might be the keepers jumping or breaking loose at high rpm.  It would be hard to tell after the destruction and chewed up parts what failed initially.

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 09/26/07 at 19:09:22

Hey there - Dee's Savage is certainly worth a rebuild -
I had exactly the same thing happen but I found it cheaper to grab an engine unit off of ebay and install that.
GOod luck with the project -
Oh as we discussed at DS&T - when the oil got low the first sequence was the valve seizing - everything else happened after than. Did the cam chain snap - mine did.
Had the tranny locked - the clutch would have slipped to a stop.
Sorry you had this bad luck - you gotta keep your eye on that oil level like a hawk - every time I start - I check the oil now.
Hope to see you at DS&T another year
Cheers
Bert

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 09/26/07 at 19:11:35

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
This is the second time I've read about a dropped valve on our LS650's.  Another fatal flaw like the cam chain; any ideas  on the cause?  The most likely scenario might be the keepers jumping or breaking loose at high rpm.  It would be hard to tell after the destruction and chewed up parts what failed initially.

This is not a design fault - it is a direct result of letting the oil get low!
Mark me as the third person that you have heard of that has had this problem - but it was 100% operator error - I let the oil get so low that I could not see it on the site glass

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 09/27/07 at 06:55:56

DE-JA -VU  Shocked we popped debby's savage motor last fall,  i bought her a road king instead. dad has the suzuki now with a used motor from bikemom28 on this web site (watch the classifieds). i'm sure our popped motor is just as broke as yours, i pulled the spark plug, and it has been beat up. also, she does NOT ride well as a passenger anymore either.  Roll Eyes

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Re: Motor is UNSALVAGEABLE pictures added
Reply #11 - 09/29/07 at 15:38:00

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 09/29/07 at 17:43:55

Yep, it's broke.    Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/01/07 at 06:45:31

Ugh...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motor is UNSALVAGEABLE pictures added

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.