Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain/tensioner data point (Read 6 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Cam chain/tensioner data point
09/23/07 at 16:04:35

2002 Savage at 9000 miles.

Tensioner 15mm out.  Still room before the 18mm "max" point.
Ruler is hard to see.. sorry.

VerSlavy in place.  Barely got it in using the 2nd hole, but now I  have full range of the tensioner.

For those of you using the old gasket, here are some pictures of a new gasket to show you were the sealant goes.  (I couldn't save my old gasket, so I'm glad I had a new one)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam chain/tensioner data point
Reply #1 - 09/23/07 at 17:40:32

Thanks for the pict's YG

I'd recommend the stock hole.  You may prefer not to be in here for another 10k miles but I think you're going to get accelerated wear.  With the stock hole it may go another 10k before you have an issue.

I'm thinking that stock extention brand new will be somewhere between 8 and 10mm out.  So at 15mm, you have used a little more than half your life on the chain.  And this is with the higher spring tension at it's most compressed state.  I'd expect that your plunger will need a reset at 15k miles.

But, resetting it now, you may need to replace the guides and chain at 18k.

Your call, but I'd put it in the stock hole and check it in 5k.  Or wait for it to get noisey.  Remember, you don't have to worry about blowing up on you.  It will bottom out, the chain will get loose and noisey.  Even bottomed out it will last a long time before the chain will be loose enough to skip a tooth if you can stand the noise that long.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/24/07 at 07:29:32

oh crud.  I didn't even think about what it would be after someone did a cam chain change out.
From what you said, and from looking around, it is 8 to 10mm.
Any other thoughts by any other guru's or those with more Savage Savy then myself?
Is the extra spring compression going to put sufficient extra strain on the guides and/or cam chain to justify going back in and moving it back to the stock hole?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/24/07 at 08:03:31

I guess you could find out. You got any Giunnea Pig blood in ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/24/07 at 13:19:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I guess you could find out. You got any Giunnea Pig blood in ya?

More like "chicken little".   Cheesy
Me thinks I will take the old tensioner and do some measurements of spring tension over the range then try to decide based on that.  Will still be a wild guess, but one with info behind it.  Which assumes that the spring in the old tensioner is that same as the one in the new one, etc, etc.
After that  I will be sending the old tensioner to verslagen1 to be modified for the next member in need.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/24/07 at 14:29:17

Brand new install, verslavy with old style spring and new rear 'tensioner' guide, my plunger extended 5mm.
1k later, it was 6mm.
2k later, it was 6.7mm
further reports to follow... toot squeak, or whatever the he77 hamsters say   Grin

My advice, 1st hole until you need it to give you the most out of you system.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/24/07 at 15:35:11

Will still be a wild guess, but one with info behind it.  

I call that the S.W.A.G. method. That's the Scientific Wild ANALytical? Guess...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/25/07 at 06:05:42

After doing as good as I could with a spring scale, marks on the tensioner, and shaky hands, here are the results: (eye on scale and measure right before it "clicked" and landed at the mm mark indicated)

0 mm = 7 1/4 pounds
5 mm = 6 1/4 pounds
10 mm = 4 3/4 pounds
15 mm = 3 1/4 pounds

It looks like I'll be opening it up to put it back in the 1st hole again.  At least I know what to expect now, and the gasket should still be fairly flexible and easy to save.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 09/25/07 at 09:37:42

Mine only had less than 2mm before the keeper pin would hit it's stop at the end of the slot, which is why I reset it and used the 2nd hole.  I'll just keep it the way it is now, get one of the new special run chains and set it aside for the eventual change.

FYI on the new chains: For those of you who don't look at the Marketplace very often, go check it out and place your orders now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:16:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain/tensioner data point

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.