Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How hot does the muffler get? (Read 7 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
How hot does the muffler get?
09/23/07 at 01:44:48

I'm thinking of taking the muffler of and trying to get rid of the rust. If I can get the rust off, I wanted to paint it with this "silver" heat resistant paint.
It says up to 1200 degrees (I assume Fahrenheit).
Does the muffler get hotter then that?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How hot does the muffler get?
Reply #1 - 09/23/07 at 06:45:01

I dunno bout the temp, but that would be a good place for the dilute phosphoric acid, ospho,kill the rust dead,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 09/23/07 at 13:35:30

>>that would be a good place for the dilute phosphoric acid, ospho,kill the rust dead<<

When you do that, does it leave pits?  
Will it need to be painted afterward?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/23/07 at 13:43:36

Nope & it would be better than raw stuff.
It doesnt eat anything, it just has a mild chemical reaction, transfoming iron oxide to iron phosphate, a black, harder than rust, material. Best to paint it tho. We did, when I was sandblasting on a drill ship in Mobile bay. Thats where I found this Ospho stuff. We used it by the gallon on that ship.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 09/24/07 at 00:16:48

I'll call around tomorrow and see if anyone carries this stuff.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 09/25/07 at 06:12:12

Smaller quantities of gelled phosphoric acid are sold under the brand name "Naval Jelly".  Of course, if you want it in really small amounts that are FDA approved and pharmaceutical quality, just get some enamel etchant from your local dental supply house!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 09/25/07 at 11:30:06

drharveys - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Smaller quantities of gelled phosphoric acid are sold under the brand name "Naval Jelly".  Of course, if you want it in really small amounts that are FDA approved and pharmaceutical quality, just get some enamel etchant from your local dental supply house!

The amount of rust that my muffler has would take the supplies of all the dentist in Hawaii!! LOL!!
Lo and behold! Just called out local ACE, and they have it!
yeah!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:31:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How hot does the muffler get?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.