Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust Glowing (Read 9 times)
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Exhaust Glowing
09/22/07 at 20:49:48

I was riding my Savage on the freeway at night and my friend behind me said he can see the exhaust glowing red on the inside. That's kind of scary. What's going on there? Just some things about my savage.I have a 96 Savage with 17,000 miles. I puuled off the whole airbox and replaced it with a cone filter. I also put in the Sportster pipe. As far as jetting, I bought a 155 jet from E-bay which was suppose to OEM for the savage. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Exhaust Glowing
Reply #1 - 09/22/07 at 21:07:12

Is the pipe blue... no, then it normal... sweet, the savage farts fire.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/22/07 at 22:35:07

Keep in mind that the main jet is primarily responsible for 3/4 to full throttle, and if when cruising down the road you are only holding it at half throttle then the pilot jet and needle are responsible for the fuel metering.  If your pilot jet and needle are still stock then you are likely running lean.
Cone filter and sporty exhaust = more air ... need more fuel.
You cannot change just the main jet and expect it to do everything for the engine, it does not work that way.

IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/23/07 at 00:04:00

I replaced the stock jet with .055 jet as well. As for the pipes, they're not blue yet, but they're beginng to show a slight shade of brown. Very light.

But the exhaust glowing is normal? How come I never seen that in other bikes?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 09/23/07 at 09:26:27

[quote author=Jimworx link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1190519389;start=0#3

But the exhaust glowing is normal? How come I never seen that in other bikes? [/quote]

How many single cylinder bikes have you followed?? You should rejet the pilot and do the spacer mod. Your bike will run much cooler with the additional fuel.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 09/23/07 at 09:48:51

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Your bike will run much cooler with the additional fuel.

I didn't know doing the spacer mod would make the engine run cooler. That's great! Hopefully I won't be boiling at a traffic light anymore

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 09/23/07 at 10:02:52

The spacer mod is an adjustment to the needle, which basically controls the  midrange, 1/4-3/4  on the throttle, and will improve engine efficiency in that range (more power, responsiveness,  and also cooler running with a better ... not lean... mixture.   The engine getting hot in stop and go traffic is a low range issue since you would rarely get above 1/4  throttle.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 09/23/07 at 11:13:18

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I didn't know doing the spacer mod would make the engine run cooler. That's great! Hopefully I won't be boiling at a traffic light anymore

Just my understanding. I bow to Lancers and Gregs knowledge concerning this bike. I run a 60 pilot in the summer and notice my oil looked "better" when I change it. In a month I'll drop back to the next size, I think its a 55 for the cooler weather. Ive also recently switched to synthetic oil and am waiting to see the condition of the oil from my last hot weather oil change of the year.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/23/07 at 14:08:10

I've read of Triumph Bonnevilles having header pipes that glow red in the dark. They come jetted very lean from the factory.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #9 - 09/23/07 at 18:00:23

The Triumphs have air injection from the factory. This contributes to the hot headers. Many folks remove the air injection.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:38:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Glowing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.