Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drained oil, Gas came out! (Read 23 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Drained oil, Gas came out!
Reply #15 - 09/22/07 at 17:59:14

Raleigh_TA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
but I don't understand vacuum,

The petc0ck has a "vacuum" switch.  The engine creates vacuum (sucking...).  The carb steals a little of that vacuum to run the switch.  The switch is a piece of rubber that has a spring on one side and on the other is a piece of metal that seats against the opening going to the gas tank.  The rubber "diaphragm" acts like a seal to keep the gas from going into the carb at a spot it shouldn't.    It works when the engine runs, the vacuum going into the back of the petc0ck spring side, and pulls it back and the metal comes away from the opening to the tank , gas flows. Shut down the engine, the sucking is gone so the spring pushes the metal thing back and closes down the flow.

Why does it go bad......it's moving.......and new gas has additives that could attack the rubber.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/22/07 at 18:03:58

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Filter housing ! fix it first. Max

So you think the part number 4 or 7 is bad?  I am not really seeing leakage, but will check in the AM. I used a non stock O ring for part #4 as the dealer was out, but the ring seemed snug.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #17 - 09/22/07 at 19:10:21

#4 will leak as it is subject to pressurized oil. It is easy for it to slip  out of the groove on reassembly and get cut or pinched and leak. My have all leaked on start up while on the rack so were easy to redo. I order the o-rings 6 at time so I always have them for oil changes or changing the oil after an unexpected repair. I've found that many of the o-rings used by both Suzuki and Kawasaki are not in my $50.00 metric assortment for whateve reason. I do have better luck going to the assortment when working on Honda's. If the bike has been drained and is now cooled off enough, some stout grease in the groove helps to hold the 0-ring in position until clamped in place. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/23/07 at 08:25:11

Took the oil filter cover back off, used some steel wool to clean up the surface that the O ring contacts.  I did not have a new O ring, so I gently pulled it out and cleaned up the groove it sits in.  The ring appeared intact and I put everything back together.  I used some carb cleaner to wash down the area of the crank case, pipe and heat shield to get rid of any leakage from this repair and old grease.  I changed spark plugs as the one in it was fouled again (dry black soot).

The bike started and ran fine, but I am getting the same amount of smoke coming from behind the rear heat shield.  I am planning to remove that shield when it cools and see if I can see a trail.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #19 - 09/23/07 at 08:48:06

A suggestion, before you spend alot of time to R & R that heat shield as it is a terror. Use a flashight and mirror to see if it is just residual oil burning off. Black sooty plug is too much fuel for the amount of air, high fuel level, jet fell out of place, idle mixture screw too far open, air bleeds plugged in carb, air flilter plugged or liquid soaked, If you are running that sooty, may even be unburned fuel collecting in the low spot of the pipe to muffler attachment and soaking that gasket and burning off. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:43:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drained oil, Gas came out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.