Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drained oil, Gas came out! (Read 23 times)
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Drained oil, Gas came out!
09/22/07 at 07:34:40

Newbie here again... 97 Savage, new rider, limited mechanical knowledge.

Thought it might be smart to change the oil as who knows when the previous owner did it last. So, I opened the drain plug and what a gusher! A couple of gallons of a gas/oil mix came out.  I did a search on this site, and saw some discussion of petc0ck leakage getting through carb and into cylinder, seeping past ring, and into sump.  This is the same bike that had an airbox full of gas/oil mix, and previous owner passed on the bike with no air filter element (got one now).  I guess I should be amazed it ran at all, but I fear the cylinder may be pretty damaged due to poor lubrication for the hour or so of running time we have had.  
My plan is to replace the oil filter and oil, and see how much the thing smokes when it fires up again.  Until I replace the petc0ck, I think I'll clamp the fuel line when it is not in use as I think the thingy leaks no matter what position I leave it.

Opinions?  Input?

Thanks, Russ

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Drained oil, Gas came out!
Reply #1 - 09/22/07 at 08:03:53

Petthingy would be my bet. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/22/07 at 08:46:59

Dam...

Maybe the petc0ck, but stuck float is also possible.

Get a jar and switch petc0ck to ON or RES.  Pull fuel line off carb and drain into jar.  If fuel stops running (completely), switch over to PRI and it should start running again.  Turn back to ON and it should stop again.  Let it just hang there for a while to be sure.

Now pull the smaller hose off the right side of the carb near the engine.  There should be NO gas in that line.

If both those check out good, try this...

Connect fuel line back to carb with petc0ck on PRI to fill float bowl.  Find a piece of tubing and check the float level...it should not go higher than the bowl flange.

You can do this with black tubing too.  You just to have to raise and lower the end to see at what height the fuel comes out of the tube.

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/07 at 09:08:01

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 11:53:39 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/22/07 at 09:42:11

Ya know, that's a couple good points.

Love the ending too..."Cheers" Tongue

IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/22/07 at 09:43:52

Outstanding responses guys! Thanks very much!!!  I got my work cut out for me today.  Thanks for the photo as well.
Russ

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 09/22/07 at 09:59:59

what are the symptoms of a flooded carb?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/22/07 at 10:08:08

If you're fearing cylinder wall damage, I suggest getting the compression checked.  

Factory Serv Man
Spec: 142 to 200 psig,  min 114 psig.

Flooded Carb systoms,   leaking gas out the overflows and out the passages in the carb throat.

Flooded engine (slightly different) - gas smell out of the exhaust & wet (gas not oil) spark plug.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/22/07 at 12:14:25

Just checked the petc0ck, pulled line from carb and it flowed in every position of the lever.  Flowed at different rates in on vs res vs pr, but ran constantly.  I let it go for a minute or two to see if it would stop, but no dice.  I'll clamp it for now when the bike is not running.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/22/07 at 12:18:35

sounds like the spring went soft or you gotta piece o'cr@p in there.  Check out the petcork mod in the tech section for some insight on how to take it apart.  Then either put it back together or do the mod.

WWW   IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/22/07 at 13:20:22

Well, after changing the oil/filter, I cranked it up.  It is smoking from behind the rear heat shield.  I guessed it was residue from removing the oil filter cover.  I tried to clean all I could get of that, and it looked pretty good.  Then I sent the wife out for a ride.  It is smoking from the same area very heavily.  Any idea where the check for leaks?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 09/22/07 at 14:53:18

Filter housing ! fix it first. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/22/07 at 15:08:35

Might have gotten the O-ring in a pinch. Having those hanging in the garage is a good idea. Also, te o ring that goes on the filter itself is good to keep in some supply.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 09/22/07 at 15:49:27

Raleigh_TA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Just checked the petc0ck, pulled line from carb and it flowed in every position of the lever.  Flowed at different rates in on vs res vs pr, but ran constantly.  I let it go for a minute or two to see if it would stop, but no dice.  I'll clamp it for now when the bike is not running.

Okay.  Petc0ck's bad.  The first defense against overflow is supposed to be the float valve in the carb.  The Petc0ck is just supposed to be the safety that cuts off the gas in case the float valve leaks.  

So, how did the gas get in the engine?  There are two ways.  Does the float valve leak or did gas leak through the vacuum line to the carb (sounds pretty likely).

IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/22/07 at 17:37:06

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
 Does the float valve leak or did gas leak through the vacuum line to the carb (sounds pretty likely).

I checked the vacuum line, nothing came out of it, but I don't understand vacuum, so having the fuel line clamped may stop the flow in the vacuum line.  The end of the vacuum line was slightly wet.  Is that my clue?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drained oil, Gas came out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.