Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dead Savage! (Read 21 times)
josh85716
Ex Member

Dead Savage!
09/21/07 at 20:02:42

Ok guys, I NEED HELP........i've been tinkering away for two days now and have only ended up with a dead battery.

Story goes, i bought a savage chopper two weeks ago from a mechanic, and it ran great, well it ticked on the lifters but still ran. So two days ago im sitting at a stop light and the i choked it out... I know horrible standard driver still choking the clutch, but never the less it wont start again.. I tried for three hours that night, and ended up towing it home. Well today i get into it. I have fuel reaching the carborator (but i'll explain that right now), and i double checked my coil, spark plug wire, and spark plug; all of which are getting fire. So now im at a loss, i checked my needle and seat to make sure i didn't have something caught in there and it looks clean.

Fuel problem. there are three vaccum lines on the carb (at least i hope)  and two go to the air filter to get air (right?) and the third i was told runs to the petcock but on my bike it just hangs because the petcock is bad, it will only run in the prime position, but anyway i can get fuel down to the carb and the vaccum line on the right that goes to the air filter will spit out a mist of fuel, and when i plug it fuel just comes out the inlet line (when the tank is off) so any ideas? what might be wrong with the bike?

It will crank but thats all, and once in a while it will fire once or twice but wont start all the way. so what do i do?!

And if any of you guys are in the tucson arizona area, interested in helping a fed guy with his bike?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Dead Savage!
Reply #1 - 09/21/07 at 20:08:10

The 2 lines that look like they are going to the air filter are vent lines.Try plugging the vacuum one because if it just hanging you are sucking air.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/07 at 20:20:41

THANKS! i tried it and it kicked over and puffed twice, but is still making the same noise.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/21/07 at 20:34:03

How many miles on it?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 09/21/07 at 21:25:53

I am in Phx. If You get it here , i hope to have it running in 1 hr. If You want, just contact me.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/22/07 at 02:26:19

sweet! well i'll see if i can get a truck, and it's got 18012 miles. why?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/22/07 at 06:15:53

With that many miles on it the tensioner can come loose cam chain can skip a tooth.If you talk with Slavy he knows all about it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/22/07 at 06:44:08

josh85716 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Ok guys, I NEED HELP........

Josh,

Let me just try to say this without causing a big fuss...you need a manual.  Plain and simple.

Slavy can help you sort it out this time, but in the future I bet that you'll run into a completely issue.  So save yourself any future towing costs.  A manual is cheaper.

Good luck.

BTW - I hate to ask, but what kind of guy is a "fed guy"?  Is that like MIB? Tongue

IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/22/07 at 16:06:55

lol, first off i meant fed up guy, lol I'm bad at typing.

But as far as the savage goes i dropped a new plug in her today just to be safe, and still no luck, however a new development has come up. The breather line on the right side of the carb was clogged with stuff. So i cleaned it out and tried again, it popped but still no luck. What other ideas do you guys have?

Oh and i ordered a book for the bike, but it wont get her for a week and a half, and knowing Tucson's fedex that means three weeks, and i really miss riding.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/22/07 at 16:36:12

At 18k the cam chain is a concern.  And the way it stalled out (you said choking the clutch) has been a concern of mine (I don't always slip it in thinking I'm getting a feel for the rpm's and speed and cause it to lurch, and I do mean LURCH) may be a cause for the chain to slip if the adjuster is ready to pop.  

So any new ticks or sraping when you turn it over?

And you got junk in the vac line, might be other stuff in the vent lines.  Sounds like a good reason to remove and clean the carb.

Bad petcork?  cap the port in the carb, it may be causing it to be lean.

WWW   IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/22/07 at 17:29:36

alright, i'll try cleaning the carb, i've been avoiding it but i guess i better try, and as far as noises go no grinding or ticking out of the ordinary, the bike already ticked when i got it and it just needed the lifters adjusted but aside from that right now it sounds the same as before, im hoping its just something in the carb.....

Thanks alot, and if you have anyother suggestions let me know im all ears.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/22/07 at 18:11:59

Pull the plug, pull the cap on left cover, set it on TDC & look at the cam position by checking the valve clearances, IF the cam chain has jumped, the valves wont be set anywhere near right. But, for all I know, it would run even off a tooth, anyone?
Hey, you could ctcle the engine thru a few times & make sure the valves are even acting right, if you decide to go in this far.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/22/07 at 19:05:23

well that is my next step, and im dreading it, this is my second motorcycle and they scare me! four wheels are easier than two, but two are cooler! so i think thats what im gonna do next, but in about an hour, and i already cleaned my carbs.... still no luck! so up next cam tenshioner and chain what not.

IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/22/07 at 19:10:34

well on a lighter note i found something that is much harder to figure out than this cycle..

Sitting at your desk lift your right foot

start making clockwise circles with your foot

Now after your rythm is established, try to draw a number 6 with your right hand.

Your foot changes directions....

WTF!!!

Sorry, long hot day in the garage makes me a little crazy especially when i haven't figured out the bike. But next is internal work.. Any pointers?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 09/22/07 at 19:28:57

Oh for crying out loud!!
You're right, the foot does change direction.
No wonder I almost end up in a ditch when looking another way other then where I'm going. My arms start doing the same thing!  Grin

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead Savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.