Send Topic Print
LUCK..or what? (Read 17 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: LUCK..or what?
Reply #45 - 09/23/07 at 06:54:30

I put a piece of wire thru the body of the tensioner preventing the pawl from swinging back far enough to allow the plunger to travel past the serrations of the ratchet area. Now, when the chain gets stretched to the tensioner limit, my tensioner will stop pushing on it. It wont come apart like the one in the picture

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #46 - 09/23/07 at 07:02:05

.maybe this will help.Or to see up close go to www.bikepics.com/pictures/1033143/

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 09/23/07 at 08:06:17

Scrapiron, when a spring fatigues, it breaks in two.  In this case the plunger would never extend.  I don't think this has ever been reported to have happened.  

Demin's failure is rare, a true definition of 'good grief', it broke but it didn't go any farther.  And I believe when the plunger over extended it got trapped against the case and may have broken cause it was trapped at a severe angle and then broke due to fatigue.

Most of the time the plunger gets so extended either by chain stretch, guide wear or what ever that it looses support from the housing and starts wobbling up and down until it falls apart.  That's the tick tick noise people report.  If you're lucky it will wobble until it hits the gear and just grind giving you clear indication something's wrong.  Or even luckier and it gets trapped against the case and just makes an odd noise.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #48 - 09/23/07 at 13:29:45

My bad.

I thought that the spring pulled the plunger back in and provided coutner tension from the cam chain.

Now that I've seen the full assembly, I understand the role of the spring....

Disregard my ramblings...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #49 - 09/23/07 at 14:04:34

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
is there EVER going to be a time when we can just relax ride our bike and have fun!! ??? (LOL no break yet!)

Part of owning a motorcycle is that you get the experience of being a PART of it, literally, pun intended. This is not a car where you are in a cocoon, oblivious to the problems going on under the hood. On a bike, it is all hanging out there and you have to deal with it straight away.

It's just the nature of this beast that you will have to pay attention and keep up with it or you will be out of a ride.
Coupla points:
- It wasn't so long ago that CARS were this way ~ either you knew how to fix it, you learned how to fix it, or you didn't go anywhere.

- Even a bicycle requires maintenance.

- Be VERY VERY glad that this forum exists because there is enough info here to be aware of upcoming issues, and FIX them before you end up with a dead bike.

Don't let the constant litany of "my Savage is broken" fool you. Plenty of us are out having fun every day on our Savages - it's the ones in TROUBLE that hit the list screaming for help.
Been there, done that!  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #50 - 09/24/07 at 00:21:56

Thanks for the advice. I'm by nature a fixer upper, (in more ways then one) but I also like to reap the rewards for my work, and have some time off. I guess I'm basically waiting to see which one I'll have more of, work on the savage or have fun and relax on the savage. Right now it's a rather thin line. LOL
Especially right now seeing the engine kept on shutting itself off for the first 15 minutes of my nightime ride.   Angry

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 09/24/07 at 07:14:47

IW, check the ride in prime, if it behaves like it should... it's the petcork, which see.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #52 - 09/24/07 at 10:27:14

Now why didn't I think of that.
If it's not the petcork, would riding in prime not flood the engine? How would I know if it is flooding by the way?
Also It has just finished pouring rain when my bike kept stalling, and our rain is nothing like on the mainland. You literally get soaked in just a few seconds if it comes down that hard.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #53 - 09/24/07 at 10:59:42

I got wet enough the bike shocked me at every spark when I put feet down at a light. Maybe you were losing spark?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #54 - 09/24/07 at 11:19:45

hmmmmmmm....
Now you got me thinking in a whole different direction!
If the jetset comes in this week, and I can actually work on the carb this weekend, then I might as well take the spark plug out and see what's going on in there.
I know the spark plug tells a lot about what going on, I'm just not good about reading the different coats on top of the plug (like black, sooty, white , corroded etc.).

What kind of shoes were you wearing when you kept getting shocked???

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 09/24/07 at 11:29:30

When I first got my bike, I ran it out of gas several times.  1st time, WTF ???  buddy came up and said reserve and on we went... to the gas station.  2nd time WTF... oh, reserve.  3rd time where's the reserve again?

Since then I've continued to have issues with the petcork, so by practice I look there 1st.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:26:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LUCK..or what?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.