Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
fowled plug and black smoke (Read 7 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
fowled plug and black smoke
09/20/07 at 22:02:43

whent to start the bike for the first time in too long, and it wouldnt start. I ran down the battery trying to get her to crank, once the battery was dead i decided to check the plug. Got it out and found it covered with black soot. I threw in the spare from my tool box and with a jump she fired right up. As it idled faint black smoke puffed from the pipe. No smokeonce it got warmed up. I had only put 200 miles on the last plug. What could be causing this? Is/ should it be a concern?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: fowled plug and black smoke
Reply #1 - 09/20/07 at 22:58:37

Black soot on plug and black smoke from exhaust usually means you are running extremely rich.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 09/20/07 at 23:05:15

If the carb slide is getting a little dirty it will sure act this way - the slide starts to hang a bit and won't close off the mainjet as well as it should

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 09/20/07 at 23:55:01

carb was just completely cleaned so i dont think it is the slide. I tuned the carb a bit and will check the plug again in a few days.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/21/07 at 06:19:35

Maybe flooded it trying to start it.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 09/21/07 at 06:55:03

seems a likely possibility, but would it create that much soot by just flooding it once?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/21/07 at 08:02:18

If you take the bike out & run it for a while, get it all the way warmed up, go play, then, after its been parked & is cooled off, run a finger in the pipe & see how sooty the exhaust is inside. If your finger comes out all black & filthy, it's rich. If it comes out with a bit of grayish looking stuff on it, thats normal, a lighter  color. Closer to a gray, than black.
Here's an idea..
If you look at the exhaust pipe on, say, a Honda car, it is fuel injected & you can bet the mixture is about right, look at other exhausts & get an idea what is good, then check yours. But, they do have a catalyzing exhaust system & it will be a cleaner pipe, but the general idea is still gonna lead ya closer than no clue at all.
200 nmiles on a plug isnt a good thing, & just because the carb was recently cleaned is no comfort. It is normal to go straight to the last place worked on when things go badly, just because that was the last place a person coulda made a mistake. I hear just fingerprints on a slide can make them stick a bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/21/07 at 09:22:34

splash07 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
seems a likely possibility, but would it create that much soot by just flooding it once?

Not likely that you flooded it, simply by trying to start it.  That's sort of a misconception that applies to older carburated cars because when you pumped the pedal you were operating an accelerator pump that squirted raw gas in the intake.  We don't have that kind of device on our CV carbs and simply opening the throttle doesn't do that much.

(I do have an XT250 in the garage with an accelerator pump.  Different Mikuni though)

Actually, you do not need to open the throttle at all to start the bike.  If it's setup correctly, the pilot circuit will do it all.  However, it can still be too rich for a few different reasons.  

Time to find out why it is too rich...assuming that all was just fine when you parked it...

Clean fresh gas in carb and tank too?

Was choke on?

How's the float height?

Oh yeah, charge the battery so that you have a good spark before the next try.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/21/07 at 09:41:38

The easiest float level check is a tube from the bowl drain held up next to the bowl. The height of the tube end when gas drips out is the level of the gas in the bowl. No disassembly, no callipers. SCHweet!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/21/07 at 13:14:44

You're right Greg.I'm thinking of the S&S on the ol' H.D.
Embarrassed

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 09/21/07 at 13:23:00

Demin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
You're right Greg.I'm thinking of the S&S on the ol' H.D.
Embarrassed

Yep, an old pumper.

If the gas isn't too old, I'd just charge the battery, clean the plug and go blow it out...Tongue

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 09/25/07 at 12:57:47

well, I put 100 miles on it and then my exhaust tipfell off. I got it home now and since i had the exhaust off to fix the wrap (no visible leakes in the gasket) i decided to check the plug. Really black plug, no smoke any more when it fires up but the plug is fowled beyond all belief.
     155 main, 55 pilot, Drag pipe with single baffle, 650 ft above sea level, Cone air filter, 1.5 turns out. Any thaught, suggestions?
    I did notice some backfire as well, not much though.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 09/27/07 at 12:17:34

also it has shut down a few times when i let off the throttle. Starts right back up again, is the idle too low maybe? Perhaps i should go down a size on the pilot? suggestions comments?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/27/07 at 12:31:19

I think if you jet for the most power you are going to be to rich on normal drive conditions. I havent  change anything other than  pilot jet  Im going to go one richer on high speed and low speed A little more power and should still get good gas mileage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 09/29/07 at 23:02:51

Yep, 155/55 is too big for normal riding, even with a free breathing set-up. That is the combo I have, will downsize as soon as I can score a 150 main jet. Got a 50 pilot, still need to swap it out (raining and no garage).

Worst part? I'm only getting around 40 mpg right now... when stone stock it was getting mid-70s mpg commuting. The wimpshield, apehangers and bags don't help, but a 30+ mpg drop in mileage? That ain't right...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:33:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fowled plug and black smoke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!