Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hardbags on a Savage/S40? (Read 28 times)
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Hardbags on a Savage/S40?
09/20/07 at 07:35:24

I like the look and security features of hard bags as opposed to throw overs. Wondered if anyone has seen or done this?  I'm thinking the look would be pretty unique and different on a thumper.  Of course would have to paint to match...

Like these:  FY Hard Saddlebags

Takes care of a Turn Sig relocation and Saddlebag install all in one shot.  Maybe they're too tall though at 11.5"?

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Hardbags on a Savage/S40?
Reply #1 - 09/20/07 at 07:38:07

They look very sleek and professional.
But do they fit the Savage?
And they look too small for the stuff I carry.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #2 - 09/20/07 at 07:46:25

MFR claims they're "universal bags that will fit any bike with rear fender rails using their universal brackets, Easy Brackets or Ghost brackets".

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 09/20/07 at 08:48:44

they look kinda largefor the savage/s40 unless you relocate or remove the turn signals, but the price isn't too bad and I think they look pretty darn good.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #4 - 09/20/07 at 08:56:07

Hey AL - I need larger and more secure bags cuz I have to carry a laptop back and forth to the office, so I need to relocate the sigs no matter what.  The beauty of these is that the turn signals are on the bags, so you can kill two birds with one stone...There's some other photos in their gallery showing them mounted on different bikes.  If you look at them mounted, they don't seem as big.  At 17.5 X 11.5 X 5, the only concern would be the height due to pipe clearance requirements.  I think they look pretty d**n good too!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #5 - 09/20/07 at 10:44:33

I looked at these, but couldn't find anyone who had tried them at all, much less on a Savage/S40. I went with a JC Whitney top case on the S40 luggage rack. I had to cut off the top of the sissy bar, though, to make it work.

It holds my laptop nicely.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #6 - 09/20/07 at 12:06:32

Hey Dan - I did see your trunk, nice mod.  I really don't want to cut off my sissy bar though.  Much obliged for letting me know you couldn't find anyone who tried them at all.  Ya never know...I may be the first....

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/20/07 at 14:08:38

my slant bags are 10 h  14 l  7 d no clearance issues..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #8 - 09/20/07 at 14:19:46

Thank you Thumper.... I see the OEM bags are 11" H x 10" x 3 1/2" D.  I'm going to measure and see if 11.5 is do-able.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 09/20/07 at 14:20:34

S40NewYork wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hey AL - I need larger and more secure bags cuz I have to carry a laptop back and forth to the office,

why do you carry the laptop.  i just use my 2 gig jump drive and plug into any computer.   just a thought.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #10 - 09/20/07 at 14:28:05

I so wish it was that easy for me!

I'm on call 24/7 for system support as a Windows Server Admin.  We're required to carry our Laptop, Blackberry and Wireless Card at all times, must respond within 15 minutes via phone and be logged into our systems within 1/2 hour of a callout.

It's a d**m good thing they provide me with all those toys, cuz I'd never in a million years purchase and carry all that cr*p with me by choice.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 09/20/07 at 19:03:24

I've got mine set up as a bagger with some old white hard bags from AMCO and also a 2 helmet GIVI trunk where the passenge pillion would normally be. There is at least one Savage with leather lyke hard bags and relocated turn lights. I think the trunk would hold a laptop easily. Is is a wide as one of the 12 pacs of pop is long and almost 2 of them tall. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 09/20/07 at 23:13:29

I've been looking at those hard bags for a few months.  I did quite a bit of measuring and I don't see any clearance problems.  In fact, I thought they would look too small and want to go with the bigger bags on the site - the "JM" model.  Measurements are 25-1/2 x 13-1/2 x 7-1/2.  They are as big as the big boy bags, but I think they would work.  They would obviously hang out the back, but I think that would look cool.  I've pulled the sissy bar and pillon off and am going with a rack where the pillon was.  Those bags and a spring solo seat would give it a real sleek bagger look.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #13 - 09/21/07 at 05:16:38

The  more I look at these, the more I like 'em.  Giving them serious consideration.  Just got issued a new laptop that's a mere 12W X 9L X 1.5H in size which will fit in the FY model with no problem.  Agreed that the JM Model hanging off the back would look very cool but I don't want to muck around changing the seat.

Any idea where I'd get paint to match the stock 2006 S40 Blue?  I suspect a reputable painter could get the right color??

Max - do you have a photo of your bike in the gallery?

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 09/21/07 at 05:36:47

What we do for our business laptop's.  I work for a computer chip company and have to check emails from our factory in Thailand.  They're 12 hours different from Eastren Pa, our 9 PM is their 9 AM. I can actually answer questions real time.

I was debating the saddle bags or the luggage rack routes.  I wasn't too keen on the factory luggage rack because it was too small looking.  If I had went with saddle bags they would have had to remove quickly for the "Fun" rides.  

After a bit, I rememberd I had a old Honda CB750 Universal luggage rack.  It was about 2 inches to wide. But, it was free and the chrome was near perfect.  So, trimmed it and installed.   My laptop backpack bungee cords on nicely.   It's longer and wider than the factory rack.   And STRONG....  I can lift the rear of the bike up with it.   I've used it for errands to Home Depot (small stuff) and AutoZone.  (any excuse to ride.....).  

for bigger picture see: http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/LS650-Lugg_Rack100_1960.JPG

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:40:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hardbags on a Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.