Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedometer / Gauges  Rattle (Read 20 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Speedometer / Gauges  Rattle
09/19/07 at 16:47:47

So the previous owner laid her down once.  Nothing bad, the bike is hardly even scratched.  But now, the speedometer rattles, especially when idling.  Short of just shoving some foam tape up under it to lessen the vibration, any way to actually tighten it back up?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Speedometer / Gauges  Rattle
Reply #1 - 09/20/07 at 00:47:18

Actually there is, many folks here have done it. Can't remember exactly what they did off hand but I'm sure if you use the search function and type in speedometer rattle, you should get quite a few results.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 09/20/07 at 03:03:23

There's a fairly detailed mod in the tech section.  I just recently got fed up with my speedo rattle so I replaced the springs with rubber high pressure hose.  If you go that route make sure the hose is just long enough to allow the nuts to snug without being too tight and putting too much pressure on the plastic housing of the speedo.  However you fix it, you have to remove the tank and get to the under-side.  I've had no speedo rattle since, and speedo rattle is one of the top Savage/S40 complaints.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 09/20/07 at 11:33:38

Did that fix a while ago, it wasn't too hard and it really works!! Nice to not have anymore rattle.
Here's the link:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1179104436
Just in case you had a hard time finding it.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/20/07 at 19:30:54

I used foam tape, but cut it to fit & it is virtually invisible. Finding 1/16th, black, self adhesive, foam strips? No idea, mine came in a window unit I had just installed & had some left over. Works great, tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #5 - 09/20/07 at 23:29:34

Say what you want about dealerships, but my dealer fixed my speedo rattle free.  They put rubber spacers of some type in it, and that was about 1000 miles ago, and no rattle since. Smiley Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer / Gauges  Rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.