Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Getting it going (Read 7 times)
Ghengis_McCann
Ex Member

Getting it going
09/19/07 at 04:32:40

Just can't get it going.The thing won't start,i was getting a breeze out of the head breather so i assumed a head gasket or a bent valve.I took the head off and it checked out fine,i put in a new gasket and still got a breeze with no starting.I took the cover off again and gave it 50% more torque and i'm still getting a breeze.I haven't put the carb back on yet as i feel it's unlikely to start.The decompression lever is fine and adjusted.Does anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Getting it going
Reply #1 - 09/19/07 at 06:04:52

I'm confused - the head breather is always going to huff and puff it's the air being displaced when the piston goes down - on a multicylinder the air has other places to go - like under the piston(s) moving up - on a single - no place except out the tube and back in

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/19/07 at 06:39:52

Ghengis_McCann wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes.  You don't have a clue what you are doing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/19/07 at 07:00:15

Got spark?

Got gas?

Got clymers?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/19/07 at 07:02:08

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Got spark?

Got gas?

Got clymers?

Bet he doesn't have any of those.  After all, since when do you torque the head, and then re-torque it 50% higher Tongue

If I recall, the torque spec is around 25 lb/ft, so you just re-do it to 37?

I'm thinking that we need to come in out of the breeze Tongue

IP Logged
Ghengis_McCann
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/19/07 at 08:52:04

Thanks for all of your replies,especially the smart arsed ones as it reaffirms my views on 90& of the population. Anyhow i do have spark,gas &clymers,but didn't know about the breather thing as this is my first big single, and when i gave it more torque the nuts felt like they could use it.I'll stick it back together and see if it goes now.As for the smart arses you just keep on doing what you do,the longer you're sat at your screen, the safer the rest of us will be in the real world.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 09/19/07 at 09:03:32

Thanks for all of your replies,especially the smart arsed ones as it reaffirms my views on 90& of the population. Anyhow i do have spark,gas &clymers,but didn't know about the breather thing as this is my first big single, and when i gave it more torque the nuts felt like they could use it.I'll stick it back together and see if it goes now.As for the smart arses you just keep on doing what you do,the longer you're sat at your screen, the safer the rest of us will be in the real world.

You have a Clymer, but you still over-torque the head nuts because it "felt like they could use it?  Is that what it says to do?  Toss the book.  You're way too advanced for it.

You keep going and you'll just be parting the bike out on eBay.  But of course, then we won't have to explain stupid stuff like how your breather creates a breeze, either.

PS - Not only singles have breathers.  They all do.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #7 - 09/19/07 at 09:17:38

Wow, that was a fun posting.   Undecided

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/19/07 at 09:32:08

forrest wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Wow, that was a fun posting.   Undecided

I'm here for ya...

I really like it when people can't even properly write a paragraph.  No spaces between sentences and just some continuous babble that we have to interpret and translate.

Then there are always those that only want to be coddled.  Got to treat them like a "Terrific Kid" even when they are just plain wrong.  Must not bruise their self esteem after all...gotta be PC.

...but what the hay, at least I'm not out in the breeze creating a danger for 10% of the population Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/19/07 at 09:42:49

Yea, sometimes a kid needs a frim guiding hand laid on the shoulder. Some authoritarian tyeps, some seem to have been pushed around a bit & now need to do the same to others, apparently feel that WHEN that hand goes on the kids shoulder, the smart thing to do is ram the thumb into the throat, to demonstrate their authority. No reason to help, correct, guide & advise humanely. Being decent isnt just PC, it's humane. OHH, and IF someones grammar can be demonstrated to be "Less than " what teacher would approve of, all the more reason to treat that person like an idiot. Perfect logic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/19/07 at 10:54:30

Just can't get it going.The thing won't start,i was getting a breeze out of the head breather so i assumed a head gasket or a bent valve.I took the head off and it checked out fine,i put in a new gasket and still got a breeze with no starting.I took the cover off again and gave it 50% more torque and i'm still getting a breeze.I haven't put the carb back on yet as i feel it's unlikely to start.The decompression lever is fine and adjusted.Does anyone have any ideas?

My point was... this is not much to go on GM.
No go and a breeze out the top.
Start from the beggining, you told us you can turn a wrench and... ? I don't know if the engine evens turns over.  So far, you told us you tore the engine apart and it might be a run down battery for all I know.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/19/07 at 10:56:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Yea, sometimes a kid needs a frim guiding hand laid on the shoulder. Some authoritarian tyeps, some seem to have been pushed around a bit & now need to do the same to others, apparently feel that WHEN that hand goes on the kids shoulder, the smart thing to do is ram the thumb into the throat, to demonstrate their authority. No reason to help, correct, guide & advise humanely. Being decent isnt just PC, it's humane. OHH, and IF someones grammar can be demonstrated to be "Less than " what (insert "a") teacher would approve of, all the more reason to treat that person like an idiot. Perfect logic.

Especially when they are content to remain in that lesser state of development regardless of any overwhelming evidence of the need to improve themselves.

I know what you mean.

IP Logged
Ghengis_McCann
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/19/07 at 11:05:18

Thanks for all your help folks,it was just a bit more torque needed.Sometimes the studs stretch a bit.It's running great and I'm off to ride it.                                                                                      Once again thanks and now I'll answer the numpties i seem to have attracted.I won't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man,so,see ya Savage Greg.
                 P.S. weren't you in Village People?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 09/19/07 at 11:19:35

Thanks for all your help folks,Tongueit was just a bit more torque needed.TongueTongueSometimes the studs stretch a bit.TongueTongueIt's running great and I'm off to ride it.                                                                                      Once again thanks and now I'll answer the numpties i seem to have attracted.TongueTongueI won't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man,Tongueso,Tonguesee ya Savage Greg.
       (tab-tab)          P.S. weren't you in Village People?

How did you guess?

Ride safe.  Glad that I could help, too.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #14 - 09/19/07 at 11:28:40

Thanks for all your help folks,it was just a bit more torque needed.Sometimes the studs stretch a bit.It's running great and I'm off to ride it.                                                                                      Once again thanks and now I'll answer the numpties i seem to have attracted.I won't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man,so,see ya Savage Greg.
                 P.S. weren't you in Village People?

Oh man, that was an awful come back.  I'd been ashamed to have hit the "post" button with that "in the breeze."

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting it going

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.