Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Another no start
Reply #15 - 09/16/07 at 16:17:26

S40s have 4 way flashers like a car. Savages don't. Your's is exactly the way it was meant to be. If you want the rear signals to be running lights, you have to replace the housings with ones made to run dual filament bulbs (or modify your existing ones with new pigtails), you have to run red lenses, and you will want one of the run turn brake control boxes. You'll be more visible, but it will cost you some extra sweat equity and a bit of cash.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 09/16/07 at 16:29:56

oh good. I think I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 09/16/07 at 20:48:22

Hutch- sincere wishes for a better Autumn.  So that you don't feel alone, Suzi is still without exhaust from header on back- she's been resting for two months now as I try to open a new business- no money honey is all I hear. Not the sweet sound of Thumper.   Angry

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 09/17/07 at 00:41:17

Hutch, I had a problem awile back where my bike would do absoultly nothing when I tried to start it. I checked everything and then found the problem to be the bolt under the kickstand.  If its loose, the kickstand sensor wont allow the bike to start. Im sure you have probably already checked it, but it was the last place I looked. it drove me nuts!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #19 - 09/17/07 at 06:52:27

stinger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hutch, I had a problem awile back where my bike would do absoultly nothing when I tried to start it. I checked everything and then found the problem to be the bolt under the kickstand.  If its loose, the kickstand sensor wont allow the bike to start. Im sure you have probably already checked it, but it was the last place I looked. it drove me nuts!
Stinger, thanks for the idea. No I haven't got near the bike for a day. Safer for the bike. I would never even have thought of a loose kickstand bolt. I'm an old timer and they didn't have all this safety crap back then. If you weren't smart enough to start it in nuetral or put it in nuetral before putting the kick stand down and letting out the clutch, you didn't belong on a bike in the first place. I will check that bolt out FIRST as soon as I can get near the bike and not call it names. Thanks again!!! Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #20 - 09/17/07 at 15:54:51

AH!!! I feel much better. No I didn't get the Savage problem solved. I still was grumbling at it when I walked by,so I left it alone. I just been doing to much wrenching and not enough riding. It finally got over 60 degrees today so I got my minimum daily requirement of force fed fresh air. If I could find a state with miles and miles of trees, lots of hills and twisty river roads, I would be tempted to move there. All the states that I found like that while traveling always had one bad thing attached, WINTER. I hate flat boring greenless scenery, more than I hate winter. Give me a state with 60 degree and above weather 365 days a year, and all the above mentioned criteria, and I would be happy. Don't mention Hawaii, I would be driving in circles all day. ANY SUGESTIONS???? It's suppose to be in the 70's and above for a week here in MI, so I will be in the mood to work on the Savage by the end of the week. and will let you know what I find out about the no start problem.       Hutch

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/17/07 at 19:21:05

It does freeze in Arkansas, but the place is gorgeous. Hot Springs is a good investment IMO. Besides, we really like to vacation there, Get a place with a cabin & we will rent from ya at least once a year tillw e are sick of Arkansas, so, we will rent for a lot of years.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #22 - 09/17/07 at 20:09:03

I like Washington, Oregon, Montanna, Both Dakotas, MN, WI, love eastern Kentucky, but all too cold. Might as well stay where I am. Arkansas is one place I haven't been. How is the humidity? I don't care how cold it gets at night as long as I can get at least to 60 degrees during the day. I always hated winter anyway, but 1000mgs of blood thinners a day make it unbearable. It is 72 degrees in my house right now and I have a flannel shirt on. It would really take a lot for me to move, since I have been in the same area for 56 years, and was actually born in the house I live in. Not to mention the fact that my grave stone is already waiting for me 2 miles from my house, next to mom and dads and all my older neighbors.    Hutch

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 09/17/07 at 21:31:05

Dude, maybe UPS wont take ya home, but you can live where ya want & die where you are happy & be buried where you want to be. Look into Ark. weather. I can say, but the place is sure pretty & is ( I think) the most Southern state with that kind of scenery. Maybe going a bit further South in Arkansas would get rid of some of the cold,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #24 - 09/18/07 at 05:03:34

Western NC or North western SC.

Anywhere from Asheville south to Greenville.

Some of the most BEAUTIFUL mountain roads I have ever ridden.

Temperate climate (low humidity, mid to upper 80s in the summer, lows in the 40s in the winter ver little snow or ice)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #25 - 09/18/07 at 07:59:01

What part of Western SC are you saying is low humidity? I used to live in Williston SC and as soon as I would take a shower then step outside, five minutes later I would need another one because of how bad the humidity was.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #26 - 09/18/07 at 08:34:56

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Western NC or North western SC.

Anywhere from Asheville south to Greenville.

Some of the most BEAUTIFUL mountain roads I have ever ridden.

Temperate climate (low humidity, mid to upper 80s in the summer, lows in the 40s in the winter ver little snow or ice)
That is one other state that I forgot to mention as a favorite. Definately the western side of either. I didn't drive semi thru there in the winter, so I was in the dark as far as cold weather. Definately beautiful countryon the west side. I could picture a log home on the side of a hill way back then. My township woudn't let me build the log home across the road that I had the package of half paid for. Not enough living space they said. What they really meant was not enough taxable base for them. So here I set in my family 2 story farm house, with the upstairs closed off sleeping on the couch, paying a lot of taxes and setting the thermostat at 67 degrees in the winter cause I can't afford to heat it any warmer. I just wear a flannel shirt in the house all winter. Yes 6.66 acres of my own private he!!  You got to love my luck.  Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #27 - 09/18/07 at 08:40:53

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hutch- sincere wishes for a better Autumn.  So that you don't feel alone, Suzi is still without exhaust from header on back- she's been resting for two months now as I try to open a new business- no money honey is all I hear. Not the sweet sound of Thumper.   Angry
That's a bummer. This is why I HAVE to have more than one bike. Winter is bad enough, let alone not riding when it is nice.    Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #28 - 09/20/07 at 15:50:56

I found the "no start" problem, and can't believe what it was. After getting the tank off, there it was. Now keep in mind that I drove the bike in the garage and shut it off. The next time I went to start it, nothing. The main conection for the big wiring harness that goes to the handlebars was unpluged. Not just slightly either. It was about an inch out and hanging down 2 inches along side the frame. I haven't got a clue. I think I need a Gremlin bell.   Hutch

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/20/07 at 16:08:30

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 13:49:05 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home