Another no start (Read 20 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Another no start
09/15/07 at 12:32:02

Took it for a 25-30 mile ride yesterday. Parked it. 2006 Never had a problem. Battery fully charged. I have tail/brake light, dash lights, Nuetral light and 4 ways. No headlight or turn signals when key is on, no decomp click or starter at all. Pulled seat and checked fuses, they are fine. Put 2 new fuses in, nothing. Kill switch is off, clutch is in, side stand down, in neutral..... nothing. Looks like it's time to start eliminating some "idiot" switches. Anyone have other ideas???? All those "safety" switches are a disaster waiting to happen anyway.  I don't want to start ripping wires out on a bike I plan on selling. The next person to own it might need all that stupid stuff for his or her own safety. Any suggestions before I go on a mission to make the wiring simple like a motorcycle is suppose to be, and always used to be. I'm at a loss on this one. Where is the kickstart when you need it? I already tore the switch housing apart to look for broken wire to starter button, it looks fine. Back of bike has juice, but not the front. I checked all the wiring plug ins and they are tight. I guess the bike doesn't want to be sold. HELP!!!!!!!!     Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Another no start
Reply #1 - 09/15/07 at 12:36:09

Kill switch is off? Undecided.Check the plug for your left handlebar controls.I'm looking at an older wiring diagram there is a yellow/white wire that goes from dimmer switch. to kill switch

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #2 - 09/15/07 at 17:17:03

Demin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Kill switch is off? Undecided.Check the plug for your left handlebar controls.I'm looking at an older wiring diagram there is a yellow/white wire that goes from dimmer switch. to kill switch
I unplugged the clutch switch and put in a jumper wire to bypass switch. Nothin, so I know it's not that switch and hooked it back up. It just seems like no juice is getting to the front of the bike. Even when the rear 4 ways work the front ones don't. The juice is getting to the 4 way switch on the right bar, but only going to the rear turnsignals. I don't own a tester to see if the juice is getting to the start button or not, but since the decomp won't work either I figure it isn't getting there,  or it is, but not getting out to engage decomp or the starter. I hate electrical and being color blind sure doesn't help. That is why most of the bikes that I have owned over the years was rewired for simplicity. Like a toggle for lights coming off the battery. Same for the starter, push button right from the battery to starter. All you need to run a bike is about 5 or 6 wires. Why they put all the extra wire on there I have never figured out. All it does is make it more complicated and leaves you with more things to go wrong. I have a 2002 bike that had a wiring harness that looked like it belonged in an airplane. The bike cost 20K. The first time my son came over and seen me cut every wire off the bike and eliminate all the switches I though he was gonna have a heart attack. It now has 3 wires for the charging system, a toggle for the lights, a button on the end of the starter selenoid, and the wires for the electronic ignition. As soon as the electronic ignition dies(every bike has done it to me) I will put a magneto with points in it.  I like simple and dependable, not to mention fixable on the side of the road. About 20 feet of wire will make any bike run. Why they put 200 feet of wire on them is beyond me. I guess I will just have to check all the plug ins again and look for broken broken wires. If I had a short the fuses would be toast. I don't know how wires just break or unplug themselves overnight from a normal shut off, but I can't think of anything else. I will also pull the left switch housing apart and look for the wire from the dimmer switch to the kill on the right bar. Thank you for the suggestion. I now have 2 bikes that ran great until I decided to sell them. I guess they just don't want to leave.    For those of you who know my luck. Guess what, it aint changed.    Hutch

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/15/07 at 17:21:40

Try the plug under the tank.That's the plug I was talking about.I hear ya about selling them.I was going to sell the '87 and do another one then everything started to hit the fan with it. Grin.If you look in the tech section there is a diagram for 5 and 6 wire systems to eliminate all the junk.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #4 - 09/15/07 at 19:24:53

Try the plug under the tank.That's the plug I was talking about.I hear ya about selling them.I was going to sell the '87 and do another one then everything started to hit the fan with it. Grin.If you look in the tech section there is a diagram for 5 and 6 wire systems to eliminate all the junk.
I saw that in the tech section. It seems I am not the only one who thinks there is a lot of useless wiring on these bikes for no good reason, other than to just make them more complicated. I hate to start ripping on it when I plan on selling. Most people want all that junk on a bike, and kind of frown on one that has been rewired. Of course those people take their bike to the dealer to get fixed. I never have in over 40 years. If they are set up simple they fix real simple. Nothing mechanical bugs me when it breaks. Electrical drives me nuts. The fewer wires, the easier to find the problem. If I was keeping the bike the harness would already be on the floor and half rewired the simple way. Such is not the case however. Thanks for your help and it looks like I drain and pull the tank tomorrow, since I have one that will not come off with the fuel tap attached to it, NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY SAYS, IT'S A FACT.     Hutch

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/15/07 at 20:19:31

Gotta love that good QC at Suzuki.They can't even make all the frames to the same specs.I was lucky on the '87 I have to pull the head it actually comes out without moving the whole motor around.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 09/15/07 at 20:54:19

Gotta love that good QC at Suzuki.They can't even make all the frames to the same specs.I was lucky on the '87 I have to pull the head it actually comes out without moving the whole motor around.

it's the tanks that are different.  they are a sub assembly made in dozens of little shops around the country.  i stumbled across one of them in japan years ago.  then i really started looking around, and alot of stuff is done that way.  so tolerances do vary as will you milage.  it explains why there is such a diffenrence between machines of running before they hit reserve.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 09/15/07 at 20:55:39

This is going to sound like a very stupid question, and please don't take it wrong, but is the ignition key turned to start or "P"?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 09/15/07 at 20:59:37

Yeah I was just refering to my manual saying the frames aren't the same.For pulling the the topend.,and pulling gastank off.You know simple as that seems good point about the ignition I've done that.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 09/15/07 at 21:08:37

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
looks like I drain and pull the tank tomorrow, since I have one that will not come off with the fuel tap attached to it, NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY SAYS, IT'S A FACT.     Hutch

Don't worry I won't disagree, mine doesn't come off either without removing the petcork.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 09/16/07 at 03:51:48

I don't know for sure if mine will come off with the petc0ck on, but after about 5 minutes of twisting and tugging, I found it was FAR simpler to just remove the 2 screws and drop it.  From here on in for me, the petc0ck comes off if I have to remove the tank.  

For the no start problem, try the starter switch.  Jump that one to verify it isn't the problem.  Then I'd test the decomp and starter individually on the outside chance you've had dual failure.  Normally, I'd rule that out, but for you Hutch... Smiley

Let us know what you've got from there...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 09/16/07 at 07:54:46

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
This is going to sound like a very stupid question, and please don't take it wrong, but is the ignition key turned to start or "P"?

I just verified that myself.

The ignition switch has three set positions.  'Off' 'Run' and 'P'   Off and Run are self explainatory

'P'  is there to allow you to run the rear lights without burning the headlight (if you have a break down and need to use your 4 ways to alert traffic)

I was able to replicate your problem by placing my key in the 'P' position (2 click up from off)

Headlight is off, tail light works, 4 ways work, no start....

Check your key position before you go tearing any wires out....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #12 - 09/16/07 at 09:44:54

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

The key is in the start position, all the way back is park. I will let you know when I dig into it again what I find. I have just had one of the worst months in a long time for as far as everything going wrong. I don't want to even get near the bike for fear of smashing something. When I finaly went to sleep last night about 3 oclock I dreamed I rolled the Savage out in the back yard, shot the gas tank full of 9mm holes and threw a road flare on it and watched it burn. Then I walked in the garage and looked at the rest of my bikes and said "Which one of you SOB's want to mess with me next?" Yeah it's been a great last month. Can't you tell by my attitude? As Popeye would say...."That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!!!"       Hutch

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 09/16/07 at 11:23:27

Must be the season you're not the only one. The '86 needs a cam chain tensioner,and the head cap plug.The'87 started out needing the plug now it needs a Heli-coil in the cylinder.Harley has been  4 year project.So yeah I know what you're feeling. Grin

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 09/16/07 at 15:54:47

4 ways? Good lord, are the rears supposed to light up like tailights too? Mine don't. The front ones do, and all the blinkers work, but I have nothing in the rear except the brake light. I've seen other bikes at night with only the brakelight/tailight and assumed it was that way on mine too. What the heck?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:16:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another no start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.