Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Blinker not working after fork seal change (Read 4 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Blinker not working after fork seal change
09/13/07 at 01:10:00

I'm at a loss!
My left turn signal does not want to blink anymore.
I had a heck of a time getting the screw out of the turn signal neck that time I was changing the oil and seals in the forks.
I actually had to drill a bigger hole in the screw head, and used the Dremell to change the screw head from a size 2 philips into a #3 philips.
So you think I might have killed something in there? if so I wonder what? The rear turn signal works fine, so I don't think it's the flasher. And no it's not the light bulb either, just bought 4 new ones (just in case one of the new ones was broke.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Blinker not working after fork seal change
Reply #1 - 09/13/07 at 03:11:45

Check screw lenght.  

When I was playing with mounts for my luggage rack I used a slighty longer S.S. screw in the rear mount.  It pinched the wire (also left). When I replace with original screw the signals worked again.   (yea, I know, I have to take it apart and seal the nicked wire....winter project....).  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 09/13/07 at 07:22:08

Check light bult socket for sign of corrorision and electrical wires' condition. Huhm, "salt air on an island" might have someting to do w/t corrosion.

Happy tinkering
Timbo

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 09/13/07 at 07:35:59

I'd definitely look for broken or pinched wiring if it worked before you did your fork seals and not afterward.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/13/07 at 07:42:31

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Check screw lenght.  

When I was playing with mounts for my luggage rack I used a slighty longer S.S. screw in the rear mount.  It pinched the wire (also left). When I replace with original screw the signals worked again.   (yea, I know, I have to take it apart and seal the nicked wire....winter project....).  

That was my first thought too, but why did you have to loosen that phillips screw when you really needed to loosen the small hex bolt to slide the whole thing off the fork tube anyway?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 09/13/07 at 10:15:40

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
That was my first thought too, but why did you have to loosen that phillips screw when you really needed to loosen the small hex bolt to slide the whole thing off the fork tube anyway?

Well, because I was a dumbass and didn't look properly as to which screw to undo!
And once I started and ended up shredding the screw's head I figured I'd better fix it before it went back on the frame, cause then it would have been harder to reach.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 09/13/07 at 10:18:34

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Check screw lenght.  

I think you might be right, I couldn't find a screw the right length and ended up using a little longer screw, but used a washer with it, guess washer was not fat enough!

It doesn't look like I have a lot of room to work with though, the turnsignal post does not pull out very far!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/13/07 at 10:27:52

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Well, because I was a dumbass and didn't look properly as to which screw to undo!
And once I started and ended up shredding the screw's head I figured I'd better fix it before it went back on the frame, cause then it would have been harder to reach.

Spoken like a true mechanic!  

Actually, my left front signal has one of those screws.  I had tried to use an impactor to get it loose, but it just rounded...

I decided that someday I'll just chuck them for aftermarket versions anyway.  I need to match my rear ones.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 09/13/07 at 11:15:28

Here we go again, Max thinks it might be the handling during the process broke the bulb filament. It is easy to access by removing the 2 screws that hold the lends on and seing if one of the filaments is broken visually. Next step would require a meter and that is to check for continunity with it across each contact to the case, however a new bulb is cheaper than the meter. # 1157 may even be one in the your work area if you look as it is a common 12 stop or turn/tail lamp bulb. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 09/13/07 at 11:31:36

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Here we go again, Max thinks it might be the handling during the process broke the bulb filament. It is easy to access by removing the 2 screws that hold the lends on and seing if one of the filaments is broken visually. Next step would require a meter and that is to check for continunity with it across each contact to the case, however a new bulb is cheaper than the meter. # 1157 may even be one in the your work area if you look as it is a common 12 stop or turn/tail lamp bulb. Max

Max! Grumble grumble grumble! Angry (LOL)
I made sure to mention in my 1st post that I even purchase 4 new bulbs and it still did not work!  
So there you go! No need for go again!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/13/07 at 11:36:54

Please forgive Max, he read that you  BOUGHT 4 new bulbs, he just dint do the mental work to visualize you as you installed a new one, too. Its all good..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 09/13/07 at 15:29:00

Max did not reread the first post and apologizes profusely for that error. Thanks for suggesting that having new bulbs meant they were installed. Max wrote a response on how to test the light socket with a test light and it diappeared. Let me know if you want it rekeyed or already know how to use the test light. Also is yours an S-40, if so process mioght have to be different than the LS650 models. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/13/07 at 15:45:09

Justin thanks Max for his sense of humor Grin
ang generally being such a good sport.. some folks just make life better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 09/13/07 at 18:36:30

just the blinker not working but the marker is?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 09/13/07 at 21:56:10

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Max did not reread the first post and apologizes profusely for that error. Thanks for suggesting that having new bulbs meant they were installed. Max wrote a response on how to test the light socket with a test light and it diappeared. Let me know if you want it rekeyed or already know how to use the test light. Also is yours an S-40, if so process mioght have to be different than the LS650 models. Max

Written for Max, and signed by Max.

Got it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:14:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blinker not working after fork seal change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.