Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tapping sound coming from engine (Read 17 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Tapping sound coming from engine
Reply #15 - 09/13/07 at 08:00:45

Nodicei wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Man...I have a hard time changing a light bulb at times. I have a repair manual that the previous owner gave me. To be honest it's like Chinese Calculus. Shocked

I have often commented on the physical distance between us Savage owners, in annoyance that Greg or Lancer or one of the guys could not just swing by and help me out on a Savage issue.

I have the manual, and it is Greek. I need common sense advice, not fancy technical diagrams that upon inspection don't match my actual bike.

It seems from your mileage that it is time to at least CHECK the cam chain. It seems like a big operation.
However, and this is a big however ~ you have everything you need RIGHT HERE on the forum to check on and repair the cam chain yourself.

This place has the parts for sale, the knowledge, the photos and the backup support. Trust me, I had never wrenched anything other than my back before I got my bike, and now have the confidence to do my own cam chain when the time comes.

If I can do, YOU can do it!  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #16 - 09/13/07 at 10:35:17

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Trust me, I had never wrenched anything other than my back before I got my bike, and now have the confidence to do my own cam chain when the time comes.

If I can do, YOU can do it!  Smiley

I must admit, the prospect of doing my own cam chain is still a bit daunting.
After doing the fork seal and oil I kept on imagining that things were wrong, wheel wobbly, fork coming off, etc. I stopped the bike multiple times for days just to check all the bolts and such cause I could swear there was something I had not done right!
So even though I feel I can do anything (which a lot of times is true) I guess it takes a while to get the confidence in yourself and to actually feel safe hopping back on the bike after.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/13/07 at 11:16:49

I think that is a very reasonable & smart thing Island. NOT being coRcky about it, being a bit worried, checking things over & over, that will keep you alive. Unneccessarily jumpy beats unreasonably calm every time. Keep going over it till you know its right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #18 - 09/13/07 at 16:53:49

Has anyone mentioned the Clymers(service) manual ????

Since I've gotten one,I wouldnt want to do anything without it......for one thing has lots better pictures than the Owners manual.

And lots more info!etc,etc,etc Smiley

I don't think anyone mentioned this.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #19 - 09/13/07 at 17:31:01

Everytime I buy a vehicle I get a manual for it.Checking the tensioner isn't that big of a deal.it's behind the right (brakeside)crankcase cover.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Nodicei
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/13/07 at 17:55:24

Well here's the "good news"/"bad news" result of taking my bike to the shop. As I mentioned in my previous post the mechanic claimed the noise I kept hearing was coming from the lower/deeper part of engine. He claims it may be a worn piston, a loose rod or the like. Long story is they wanted big $$ Shocked off of me to fix the thing. $320 to go in and $320 to come back out (build the engine back up) not to mention the $ for the replacement part. That's the bad news. The good news is they charged me $86 to take a look at my bike. For that they did adjust my valves which normally would have cost me $160. The bike sounds and responds much much better. I still hear a tapping noise, but its not as bad. It sounds like a sewing machine on steroids. It generally runs quieter. I can't tell if it actually sounds like before or not. Roll Eyes   So that is where I stand. I would like to thank all of you for your input. I'm amazed with all the great responses I received in this matter. All said I am fairly satisfied the way things worked out. It'll buy me enough time until I can upgrade to a Suzuki C-50 or a Honda Spirit shadow.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #21 - 09/16/07 at 08:05:21

I stated once before that I read they will have a little valve chatter when the temp goes way up.  Well yesterday I ran a Poker Run that was 208 miles round trip for me.  When we left in the morning it was around 70 degrees and got up to the high eighties coming home in the afternoon.  In the morning it purred pretty on the highway (65-70).  Topped the tank off on Mobile Alabama, and got some pretty attention getting back fires.  Filled again in the Mobile area coming home and we ran around 70 most of the way to Biloxi Mississippi, and it purred pretty again with no backfires even whenclosing the throttle quickly from 65 MPH.  Not only did a lot of the chatter go away, it ran strong.  Our Captain motioned me up next to him and told me to take the lead, we were doing around 65, and I rolled the throttle and she jumped to around 75,  I backed it off to around 65 again, but still the chatter was almost gone.

???Don't ask me what I am trying to say, because I don't really have a clue....just rambling along about a completely stock S40 that had a little chatter this summer and now it is gone down a lot since the weather has cooled.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #22 - 09/16/07 at 08:58:29

my bike has the same sound only after it has warmed up for a few minutes. i only notice it at lower RPMS but that might just mean the exhuast drowns it out.
ive tried touching the engine and cannot feel a clanking feeling..

it sounds like a sewing machine though

how bad is it to continue to drive the bike with this sound? right now its my only transportation to and from work until i can save a little $$ to buy a car...

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #23 - 09/16/07 at 11:26:31

I am not a very good wrench turner, so would wait to hear from some of our experts.  I chanced it and drove my 06 for about 500-550 miles of only commuting back and forth to work hitting maybe 60.  I could hear it going to work during mid afternoon, and not as much at arouind 1AM when I was going home, when the temp was a little lower.
How about some of you experts answering this question for him.
Ride safe

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #24 - 09/16/07 at 11:27:20

Just look at YonuhAdisi's(think I spelled it right)ooops in the next page or 2.It's not pretty what can happen Wink.He got lucky thats all that happened.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tapping sound coming from engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!