Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tapping sound coming from engine (Read 17 times)
Nodicei
Ex Member

Tapping sound coming from engine
09/12/07 at 16:49:59

Hey...new to this site. Have a 97 Suzuki Savage.
I'm starting to hear a tapping/metalic ticking sound coming from around the engine cover. Goes away temporialy when I throttle up. It's as if something is loose in the engine. No loss of compression or performance. Thought it might need valve adjustment. Took the bike to shop. They just called. Noise not caused by valve problem. They need to
open the engine (4 hours labor) to see what the problem is. Has anyone else had such a noise coming from the engine. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
P.S. Not technically inclined.

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Re: Tapping sound coming from engine
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 17:15:21

Did you check to see if the chrome head covers were tightened down?  Shocked Mine was loose on the left side and noisy as all get out (until I removed them both and put them in the 'to be sold' pile)

If the tinking was in the top end, I'd have thought valves, too. I'm not sure what the cam chain sounds like before the tensioner goes, but I think that noise would come from lower down on the right side. Someone with a bit more experience might know...

...I imagine I have been no help, what so ever...

IP Logged
Nodicei
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 17:22:16

Every little bit helps. I just don't want to get screwed by the shop I left it with...Tongue. They want $320 just to strip it down. God knows how much for the replacement parts and then putting it back together. It's on opened pregnant dog that I just don't want to deal with. The bike runs great. It's that noise that concerns me. I can live with the it. I just don't want to find out  later I could have avoided more problems down the road.  

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 17:44:06

I read somewhere on the site that during hot weather, the valves will get a little noisy even if there is no problem with them.  My 06 had a little noise this summer in the high 90 temp range, and now that it is cooling off a bit, (high 80's) it isn't as bad.  I have an excellent dealership very close, and I plan on having the valves checked next month anyways.  They told me the same thing I read on this site about valves becoming a little noisey in very hot weather.  By the way.........this will be the last visit to the shop unless it is something major.  It will be time I turn wrenches myself.

How about hearing from the experts on this site.  Is this true or not??????

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Nodicei
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/12/07 at 17:48:56

I read the same thing. But my noise is constant. I think I may have caused some damage by letting the oil level get too low. I could not really see the oil level that well through that dumbass little window. What happend to the old dipstick? Oh that's right I'm the dipstick for letting the oil level get to low. Shocked

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/12/07 at 17:56:30

Listen and try to get a good idea where it is coming from.Mine sounded like valves ,checked them they were ok kept riding.Found this site only to find out about the cam chain tensioner dilema.There are a bunch of threads already on the tensioner just go through the topics in here. How many miles on the bike?

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Nodicei
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/12/07 at 18:08:37

18K....only changed the oil every three thousand miles. No other maintenance. (new spark plug).

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/12/07 at 18:14:31

My money is on the tensioner.Check out "ooops" on the next page.That's what happens when a tensioner comes apart.I would check into ASAP .My '86 is down with the same problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/12/07 at 18:25:20

Why you say it isnt valves? When were they checked?

At this age & mileage, the time for a cam chain change is upon you. Instead of paying out the nose for the work, during which they will likely "find" the need for more work & $$/. Learning to do the work will pay you back many, many times. If you pay for the maintenance on this bike, you will not ride it far or often.If you pay someone to do the repairsd( if repair due to low oil IS needed, & for the maintenance & a cam chain is needed, I wouldnt be surprised to see close to a grand spent. You can do it all for just a few hundred & the tools will be paid for on the first job. As long as any low oil damage is lim ited to the top end, I think I am steering ya right. If You would change the oil & run a magnet thru, loking for ferrous metals & autopsy the filter, you can have a better idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Nodicei
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/12/07 at 18:31:56

Man...I have a hard time changing a light bulb at times. It be great if I had a big brother like you to watch over my shoulder when I get to tinkering. But the fact is I wouldn't even know where to being. I have a repair manual that the previous owner gave me. To be honest it's like Chinese Calculus. Shocked

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 09/12/07 at 18:36:06

It's not as hard as it sounds just takes some time.Don't be afraid to ask questions here,everybody helps everybody here.Ask Islandwahine.She didn't know much. since she has rebuilt her forks,working on carb,who knows whatelse. GrinIf you look in the tech. section there are usually step by step directions with pics.Your big brother is usually everybody here.

IP Logged
Nodicei
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/12/07 at 18:51:31

Thanks fo the confidence boost.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/12/07 at 19:53:59

I dont think theres a bike out there that can be kept & NOT maintained by the owner, unless someone is just rich & uses the bike for a hobby only. The cost of maintenance will eat the value of the bike in short order. Thats the way I see it, anyway. If I had to pay someone to solve evry little issue, it would be in the shop, waiting its turn in lione, more than in the garage, during riding season. The wait times can be 2 weeks for minor issues.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #13 - 09/13/07 at 01:03:43

Nodicei wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Man...I have a hard time changing a light bulb at times. It be great if I had a big brother like you to watch over my shoulder when I get to tinkering. But the fact is I wouldn't even know where to being. I have a repair manual that the previous owner gave me. To be honest it's like Chinese Calculus. Shocked

Aloha, Nodicei, There's a bunch of girls on this site (including me) that have started doing their own fixer-uppers. So if we can learn, so can you! This site is great, and someone is bound to have the right answer!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #14 - 09/13/07 at 04:44:51

At 18k, I'm going to bet your valves are WAAAAAY out of adjustment.  The manual recommends adjustment every 4k.  Mine started getting noisy again after 3.5k.  I'm due for another oil change and valve adjustment (probably by the end of the week).

What the others have been saying about the cam chain is probably true.  Older Savys tend to eat cam chains.  

I checked mine at ~10k (a little less than a month ago) and there was only 15mm of run out on the tensioner.  Suzuki put a slightly different cam chain tensioner in starting in 2003 or 2004.  It's mostly the same but has a heavier spring (I think it's to minimize chain stretch).

Good luck with your bike.  I hope you found a reputable shop that you can trust.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tapping sound coming from engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.