Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike won't start even with full charge. (Read 4 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Bike won't start even with full charge.
09/12/07 at 14:23:02

First off, the bike in question hasn't moved in 4 months.  I pulled the battery, gave it a full charge.  Nothing.  I tried pull starting, this works, but then it dies.  After pull starting, I got it to start once off the electronic ignition.  A second attempt to start produced a house shaking back fire, and now, nothing.  Any ideas?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Bike won't start even with full charge.
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 14:47:35

Your carb is probably all gummed up.

First, open the drain on your float bowl.  There's probably nothing liquid left in there, but do it just in case.

Drop the float bowl and clean it out.  There should be nothing in there (nothing gooey or black)

Clean off the float and possibly pull the jets and clean them too (use a solvent, pick and compressed air.)

Reassemble the carb, reseat the float bowl (remeber to close the float bowl drain), turn your petcork to PRI (this will allow fuel to run to the carb without benefit of vaccuum assistance) and crank the engine.  

You will probably have to start it with full choke, but don't let it run that way very long.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 14:48:05

Sounds possibly like it's flooded.Pull the plug out and check it.Possibly fouled plug.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 20:00:12

Chemtool comes with a red plastic straw, for squirting in small places, good for jets, BUT,, YOUR EYES may be hit with this stuff & it isnt okay. Be very careful wth chemtool. You can get it in quart cans, maybe pint? & soak carb parts in it, VENTIlation is essential. Fumes are flamable, caution is the word of the whole operation. Great stuff is so often dangerous. I wouldnt pour it in a plastic bowl for soaking the carb parts in.

Any parts to NOT drop in, aside from the slides diaphragm? O-rings?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/14/07 at 13:58:05

So I finally got it started. BIG step in the right direction.  Now, it starts right up, but as soon as I let all the way off of the gas, or even try to idle, it dies.   It died on me at 35 mph because I let all the way off of the gas while shifting.  Luckily i was going fast enough that when the gear caught, it drug the rear tire and essentially pull started the bike!  I'm not sure how many times I can pull this maneuver off, so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. A mechanic buddy of mine is coming over to help me take apart and clean the carb, so hopefully that'll be it.  Thanks for the help!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/14/07 at 15:34:17

What is the lowest RPM it feels like it will run at? Maybe, all you need to do is raise the idle setting with the screw by your left knee as seated on the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/15/07 at 21:59:27

Turns out, that was the problem!  I just tweaked the idle up a little, and now she's a purrin' kitten.  Thanks for all the help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/15/07 at 22:18:30

Cool, glad to be some help..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:35:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start even with full charge.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.