Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Photos (Read 14 times)
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Carb Photos
09/12/07 at 06:31:40

Could anyone direct me to some photos of the carb and the hoses that attach?  No doubt I am very new to bikes, and the fool my wife bought her Savage from neglected to tell her he removed the Air Filter Element!  We ran the bike for several rides amounting to about an hour in the neighborhood, and in that time it fouled the plug about 6 times!  I am learning out of necessity how to work on the Savage.  Last night I found a large amount of gas (a bit oily) in the air box!  I mopped it out, but that is when I found I had no element.  I don't know why there was fuel in the air box, and why it did not drain (there is a drain hose isn't there?)  
So the story is, there are two hoses coming off the carb that are about 4" long, and I don't know if they are supposed to just vent, or if they are supposed to connect to something.  There is another hose that comes off the carb and connects to the petthingy's bottom connector, and I can't be sure that is correct as the previous owner may have played with it.
Any photos of the hoses and tubes coming of the carb and where they are supposed to connect would be greatly appreciated!
Any mechanical advice would help as well.  I downloaded the Clymer so you can reference that if needed.
Thanks, Russ

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Carb Photos
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 07:09:51

Can I redirect you to the "Never Heard Of..." topic?

Really though your air box gunk is normal and without knowing what the previous owner did the rest sounds normal too.

The 2 hoses go up above the carb into the frame as carb vents, but I really suggest that you read the manual that you downloaded.  There IS a drain hose, and it sounds like someone didn't use it.  There is a breather hose too, and that is where gunk comes from...

Good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 09:17:17

And there are photos in the relevant threads in the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 11:02:12

I will take elaborate pics when I overhaul my carb.
Just waiting for Lancer to get the parts.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/12/07 at 13:31:36

Thanks guys, in looking at the bike a bit more, I am wondering why the Air Box vent tube, the one pointing toward the road, is capped?  How is it supposed to drain the sludge that way.  I thought it may be the doings of the previous owner, but the manual shows it's tube capped as well.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/12/07 at 13:46:26

I have 2 capped tubes hanging down from airbox. I was wondering the same thing. Would leaving these tubes off cause the bike to run bad?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/12/07 at 13:52:13

drums1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have 2 capped tubes hanging down from airbox. I was wondering the same thing. Would leaving these tubes off cause the bike to run bad?

One is probably from the airbox and the other from the battery.  Leaving the airbox drain uncapped will allow it to suck unfiltered air from just above the road and get a lot of crap into your intake.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/12/07 at 14:15:56

or let a dribble of oil occur on your back tire.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/12/07 at 14:43:10

Can anyone explain why there are two tubes, but they are capped?  Uncapped would make sense, but if they are capped, why are they there?

How is the gas/oil that traveled from the crankcase to the air box supposed to go away?  And furthermore, why is it sent to the airbox to begin with?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 09/12/07 at 15:30:12

Why?  Why does each and every bike do something like that, is the real question?  

Didn't you say that you downloaded the manual?

I can't take it.  AAAHHhhhh!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 09/12/07 at 19:17:38

OIL and gas fumes are "recovered" by the vent tube on top of the head.  On cars they call it "Positive Crankcase Ventilation", not sure on the Suzuki.....

The Capped tube is there so you can drain it periodically without taking the aircleaner apart.  Yes,  I "oops" and didn't have a pan underneath when I did it for the first time.    .... Brings back memories of an old joke about a farmer, a skinny pig, a plug and a poor little monkey..... I tried to get the plug back in too.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 09/12/07 at 19:30:54

Raleigh_TA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks guys, in looking at the bike a bit more, I am wondering why the Air Box vent tube, the one pointing toward the road, is capped?  How is it supposed to drain the sludge that way.  I thought it may be the doings of the previous owner, but the manual shows it's tube capped as well.
at oil changes i drain that capped one from the air box..very lil condensate in there but im in the desert..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Raleigh_TA
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/12/07 at 19:35:35

Good responses, thanks all! well, mostly all Grin.  I think I got it from here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 09/13/07 at 07:46:26

Raleigh_TA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Good responses, thanks all! well, mostly all Grin.  I think I got it from here.

Not a problem Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:24:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Photos

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.