Savage Monkey Butt (Read 43 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Savage Monkey Butt
Reply #15 - 09/15/07 at 02:25:14

I pretty much have my butt up against the pillion, at the widest part. That way my legs aren't scrunched up too much.
I think it's wide enough that way, and pretty comfy too.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 09/15/07 at 10:31:44

Quote FreeSpirit
"Serowbot....well you explained that pretty good Smiley
So can you widen the stock seat?"

Making the seat wider, is the hardest thing to do.  Just adding a layer of foam can fatten it, but without widening the seat pan, the foam won't support any weight.  Waste of time.
The seat lift mod will scoot your bum back to wider part of the seat, and that is worth trying.  I also recommend a fake sheepskin cover, it will do much more than you might think.  Try them first.  For a smallish seat, the Savage seat ain't bad,... and is worth trying a little fine tuning to get right.

Now, if those mods aren't going to help you, you want a wider seat.
Widening the stocker can be done,... in the sense that anything can be done with enough time and money, but it really isn't worth it.  So, you either want to have a custom seat made (very costly), or find a seat from another bike that you can make fit.  
Most Sportster seats are narrower and less comfortable than the stock Savage.  Yamaha v-star seats are very wide and comfortable, but they might look too big on the narrow Savage frame.  You can get anything to fit, if you are determined enough.  I would go to a dealer and sit on a bunch of seats to see which one suits me, and then study how they mount to see how hard it will be to adapt it.
Sorry I'm not of more help, but I don't know of any specific seats that adapt easily.
Maybe someone else here has some ideas?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #17 - 09/15/07 at 12:34:49

Actually someone,wish I could remember who,said they re-did their seat and it was more like a saddle.

I'll have to find that post!! Wasn't too long ago.

But the way they described the seat it sounded perfect.

(I'm also trying to imagine if you could clamp something on to the sides of the Savage seat frame Smiley

I think the best seat,I've sat on,was a older(few years)  Kawasaki seat,but dont know if you could get one to fit on the Savage....or design one more  like theirs.

But yes,the ideal seat would fit like a saddle!!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/15/07 at 13:53:57

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 13:52:54 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 09/15/07 at 15:42:19

Jim,
I went back and read your lycett post,... very nice!
That might be just what Freespirit is looking for.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #20 - 09/15/07 at 17:37:21

That looks interesting(the lycett seat)......but I may just have to go to some of you guys homes,sit on your bikes and figure out which seat I like best Smiley Just kidding!

I'm not quite convinced on any certain one yet.....I think it depends on each person's individual liking of what feels better.

The lycett sounds good,but hmmm.... I'm not that mechanically inclined....dont know if I could do something like that or not Smiley

Of course if it felt good though,my determination would help with being able to do it Smiley

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #21 - 09/15/07 at 18:59:22

The best seat I've ridden was a Corbin on a Kawasaki. It was (is) like a Western horse saddle; wide, supportive and comfortable for miles on end. (pun intended)

Problem is, it is very expensive, and does not fit the Savage. So I'm still goofing around with different gel pads and soon a sheepskin pad.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 09/15/07 at 21:53:26

Ok,lets all email the Corbin people(continuously) and request a seat for the Savage!!

Where do ya'll get the sheepskin covers? At a good price?

I'd make one but dont have a sewing machine anymore Sad

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #23 - 09/15/07 at 22:00:53

Why is the Corbin seat so comfortable? The make of it....what's it made out of or is it the shape of it?

I will try some searches later on it,but right now I've just spent 3 hours!! searching on this site for seat ideas,the pro's and con's.And I'm totally worn out,can't hardly see good from reading so much Smiley

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 09/16/07 at 04:05:28

There is a place on Corbin website to email or send online a request for a product!
I sent one in for a seat for the Savage Smiley

It said something like they wanted to know what the public wanted and they would try to attend to it,so who knows.

Maybe if everyone sent one in ,it would help Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 09/16/07 at 10:39:00

Easiest way to add a wider seat is a sprung conversion like Dr Jim did.

I have all the parts at home for the small sprung solo. The front pivot comes with a u-bolt, but the mount itself will bolt right onto the stock Savage rear tank mount. I think they cost around $14 (mine was a gift). The under the seat front pivot bar is available chromed or paintable, from $14. The seat itself? You can find the small, leather solo from Canyon Run, Fog Hollow or such for $25-75. BUT, the bolt spacing is 6", the Savage needs 7".  And they are JUNK! Buy a good one, NOT a cheapie chi-com knock-off!

Start checking HD parts sources. The J&P Cycles vintage catalog, V-Twin Manufacturing, Jireh, etc all carry small, medium and large, American made, heavy duty leather or vinyl covered solo seats.

Modern made seat springs (the cheap chromed crap), have almost NO give. Buy a set that lets you sit at a comfortable height and make sure your shocks are set at a comfortable level of resistance/give. Or, hard mount the rear of the seat. Either way looks/works fine.

Adding a lifted solo seat is going to expose your wiring harness. Tape wrap the whole thing, put it in some of that plastic wiring conduit, or cover that section of the frame with a block off plate (plastic or metal, your choice). The harness is rather delicate, the factory splices are not very weather proof.

I'm planning to try an old FarmAll Cub tractor seat on mine.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #26 - 09/17/07 at 00:42:21

So what size is this(lycett) seat? Length and width.

It's comfortable?

Old Joke :

Tractor for Sale:
Has no seat and no steering.

Perfect for the person who has lost their a##
and dosent know which way to turn Smiley

Had to throw that in Wink

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/17/07 at 11:26:36

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 13:53:21 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/17/07 at 14:17:15

I put a Harley buddy seat from 1965 FLH on mine.
sort of like a Barca lounger.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #29 - 09/17/07 at 16:50:24

17" wide at the rear??? Wow....I think the Savage seat is only 12".

I just got through putting it back on my bike or I would have had it right here to measure,but I think it was 12".

Well,I got tired of thinking about it for awhile and ordered a sheepskin cover for now.

I may put bubble wrap under the sheepskin Smiley

But my main complaint now is....when I did the front lift,it put me further back on the seat,which should have been a good thing,except now I see the padding in the back of the seat is almost gone!

But I'll think more later/soon what to do for that.I dont know what but definitely something!

I emailed Mustang seats and they sent me a email directing me to a website that makes seats for sportbikes.....the idiot.And I havent heard back from Corbin.....may never! Guess we'll have to figure out a better seat than theirs and be richer than them  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:30:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Monkey Butt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.