Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Boulevard / Savage / Intruder question. (Read 21 times)
bnlfan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boulevard / Savage / Intruder question.
09/09/07 at 19:46:14

My current (and first) bike is a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40. As I understand it, this used to be a Savage and or Intruder.

What I would like to know is this:

What bikes in the past are the same as the S40? If I want to buy accesories for the S40 and can't find them, what older bike should or could I look into instead?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Re: Boulevard / Savage / Intruder question.
Reply #1 - 09/09/07 at 19:50:45

The S40 used to be the Savage or is also known as  
LS650.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
bnlfan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 09/09/07 at 19:55:40

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The S40 used to be the Savage or is also known as  
LS650.

So, if I can find parts for an older Savage should they fit my Boulevard S40?  Or, was there a change in the way the bike is made?

IP Logged
southerngirl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/09/07 at 20:48:30

I aslo just bought an 07 s40 and I am having the same trouble, SO FAR... all the ls650 or savage 650 parts and accessories have fit my bike. although the older seats are different, to my knowledge they still have the same brackets to bolt onto the s40

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 09/09/07 at 21:39:03

Just about everything from LS650  /Savage/ '95 and up will fit. The diff is in the body stile- seat, bars, risers, and the paint schematics.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 09/09/07 at 21:49:26

Very little is specificly designed for the Savage/S40.   ANYTHING can be made to fit.

I'm still considering swapping out the stock saddle for a 16" Western Saddle -- cut off the stirrups, keep the saddlehorn....

WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #6 - 09/09/07 at 23:11:56

The Intruder is now known as the S50 (approximately 800cc).  It is my understanding that the performance of a S40 (652cc) is just a bit more than the performance of an older Savage when it was new and stock.  The difference in performance though is very minor between the two.  Correct me if I am wrong.  

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/09/07 at 23:17:01

I woould say no to that, IF the older unit just happened to be older enough to have come stock with proper jetting. As far as I know, everything else is the same. Som,e differences in the wiring harness. But, mechanically, they are the same, except for the number O gears in the tranny, but I have been told the final drive is the same with the 4 & 5 speeds.

This in response to Firsts40's question.comment

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 09/10/07 at 00:46:02

The Savage went from the original 4-speed gearbox to the 5-speed (same tranny as the S40) back in the early 90's ... The Savage was discontinued in the U.S. for several years during the 90's I believe (not sure of exact timeline), but has been available in Canada every year since it's inception in '86.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #9 - 09/10/07 at 06:52:11

Thanks for correcting me Justin...I don't want to give anyone any wrong info.  I guess that shows how much I know.... Embarrassed Grin Grin Grin

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/10/07 at 10:54:39

Heck, I didnt even complete the thought! IF I am correct in my thinking, the older, more generously jetted stock units would outrun a newwer, lean jetted stock bike.I Think the exhausts are the same from the days of richer jets to todays lean stock units. tho I have no reason to, really. I havent compared the exhausts from the years of the larger jets to the new S40.
Anyone have a way to make my answer to this question actually helpful to FirstS40?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 09/10/07 at 11:06:15

Justin, that is something I just heard some place.  I am quite pleased with the performance of my completely stock S40.  It lets me run the highways at 65-70 with no problems at a couple hundred miles at a time only stopping for gas.  Yes me and the bike would rather run 60 or so, but sometimes when we are running with the "big boys" we like to make them look up to the Thumper, of course without hurting it.
The hardest I have run it was at around 80 for about 70 miles, and it drew a lot of attention.
Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/10/07 at 11:15:05

Okay, Dana, if you are satisfied with that answer, I am happy. I just didnt think it was a very good answer, it's just all I have & it's basically guesswork. I still kinda hope someone either supports my answer or simply corrects me.

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #13 - 09/10/07 at 12:23:09

I think the fit and finish-like the polish of the bright bits -is much nicer on the older bikes, esp. all the chromed parts. Seems modern manufacturing and the effort to keep the price down call for some short cuts. I wonder if this applies to the internal parts, too.

Anybody else notice this?

B

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/10/07 at 12:35:52

There's already a thread in the Tech Ref forum for changes to the LS650 over time.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:20:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Boulevard / Savage / Intruder question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.