Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newby Shock Preset Recommendation (Read 14 times)
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Newby Shock Preset Recommendation
09/08/07 at 16:11:02

Howdy All:

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of months now and have really appreciated the shared info and experiences.  Thanks.

I purchase a '95 LS650 about a month ago.  It has 6,500 miles on it and appears to be in good shape.  It also has a Jardine exhaust.  All else is stock.  The elevation here in eastern Idaho is at 5,000 ft.

I have an appointment Monday to get the original IRC tires replaced with Metzler M880s in stock sizes.  The original tires are pretty weather cracked and the rear tread is almost gone.  Their stickiness is gone.  I am also having the carb upgraded to lessen the lean backfire.  We will probably start with enlarging the pilot jet, thinning the needle spacer and replacing the top and bottom screws with Allen head screws, to facilitate future access to fine tune the needle and the main jet.

I did remove the plug on the low speed idle screw.  The screw was seated.  I opened it about 1 turn out, without much change, until it stuck itself and the slot stripped.  I'm hoping the shop can remedy that too.  I'll let you know how it all goes.

My question is related to the stock shock preload setting.  It is currently at the 2nd position from softest and bottoms out easily.  I weigh in at a portly 250 lbs.  I'm going to have the shop increase the preload setting while it is in the air.  Would anyone care to suggest a better position for the pre-load adjusters given my weight?  I am built for comfort, not for speed at this stage in my life.

I may upgrade to a front fork brace and better shock later.

I bought the bike for several reasons, one of which is fuel economy.

Again, thanks for the education.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Newby Shock Recommendation
Reply #1 - 09/08/07 at 18:48:50

I bumped my shock preload up two notches -- now it's one below the max rather than one above minimum.  Works for me and it's much better with my wife aboard, too.

I'd start there and work up and down per personal taste.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Newby Shock Recommendation
Reply #2 - 09/09/07 at 00:13:46

David, I concur with drharveys' recommendation of trying the shocks at next to top setting. I'm in your weight class, and on a stock shocked bike you are probably set with too little spring preload. I actually have my old 87 set on the top notch, which is pretty stiff, but I much prefer it to the bottoming out that is common on my 99 which has had the shocks shortened, and tire size increased.

I'm also now sold on the validity of the need for a fork brace. The difference is night to day.

Your tire choice sounds excellent also, as long as you find the gearing without a taller rear tire adequate.

IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Re: Newby Shock Preset Recommendation
Reply #3 - 09/11/07 at 22:27:08

Howdy back:

Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen.  Two steps up on the shock pre-load is a help.

It was a gorgeous eve here in Idaho so I took the bike for a shake down cruise with the new tires, carb work and the shock adjustment.  It was truly a different bike.  Still an ocassional pop, but nothing like before.  No bottoming out and a real sense of security with the new rubber.  Definitely worth the price.

Another question- Does anyone know the specifications on the stock 1996 LS650 rear shock springs?  Spring rating? free length eye-to-eye?  I have a hunch some new Progressives and a fork brace will be on my Christmas list.  I always like to know what I've got to help me decide what I need/want.

Thanks again.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newby Shock Preset Recommendation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.