First Post - Need help! (Read 13 times)
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
First Post - Need help!
09/07/07 at 12:11:32

Hi everyone,

Well I bought my first savage 3 months ago, a red 96.  I absolutely love it so far and have been lurking in these forums for a while, must say everyone here seems very helpful.  Well I have a problem now that I was hoping someone could help me with.

A week ago I dropped the bike for this first time.... fortunately I was just in my backyard, and it was really just laying it down hard (dog came tearing out of left field and it was either drop the bike or kill my dog...).  So after dropping it (fell to the left) the handlebars seem to have gotten bent.  At least thats what I think it is.  I really dont have much experience with bikes... this is my first one.  But from the looks of these pictures?  Would you say that the handlebars are bent?  Or the fork is bent?  

Is there any way to fix this outside of purchasing new handlebars?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Heres links to the pictures for higher resolution

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: First Post - Need help!
Reply #1 - 09/07/07 at 12:19:52

The handlebar itself looks ok.
Looks to me like the only thing that happened was the left riser rotated a bit counter clockwise, or it got bent towards the back of the bike.
Can't really tell with only one angle on it.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #2 - 09/07/07 at 12:22:32

Sorry, was having a little trouble with my HTML code.  If you check the links at the bottom of the first post you will see 3 different angles.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/07/07 at 12:25:24

I did, and I saw 3 pictures that were all pretty much the same.  A view looking down.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/07/07 at 12:28:12

If you look at it from the side, does it look like the left riser is bent towards the back of the bike?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #5 - 09/07/07 at 12:31:09

sorry... i think my http references are having some problems.  anyways heres the other angle

IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #6 - 09/07/07 at 12:38:17

Hmm Im really new to all this, not even sure what a riser is.  Im in the process of downloading the manual right now and am going to brush up on all of it.  Here are 2 more angles.

Angle 1

Angle 2

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/07/07 at 12:46:21

The riser is the vertical piece that connects the handlebar to the triple T.  (The triple T is that large triangle shaped piece of metal).
From angle1, it looks like the left riser is bent.
Take the handlebar off the risers and just set it on a towel on the front of the gas tank.
If it isn't obvious at that point if one of the risers is bent, you can take them off using the nuts that are on the bottom of the Triple T.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 09/07/07 at 13:11:08

Looks like maybe you just twisted a riser.Easy fix if thats it.(1)pop off the bolt caps from your risers
(risers are where you handlebars connect)
(2) take a marker put a line on handlebars and riser.
(to line back up later in case bars move)
(3)Loosen clamps then retighten
(4)recheck alignment
This will relieve the pressure
PS When you retighten there should be a gap on both sides of the clamp where it meets the riser.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/07/07 at 13:11:29

If the above doesn't work:
You should take the risers off anyway, as there are multiple pieces to them. (upper cushion, lower cushion, spacer,etc)  Any of which could be damaged.

Steering Stem

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Latimer

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Boston
Reply #10 - 09/07/07 at 13:17:11

Ok, looks like this might hopefully be an easy fix.  Gonna go give this a shot.  Thanks for the help guys.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/08/07 at 11:56:47

I guess if all else fails ya COULD drop it the other way & get it symmetrical.
AWWWW, that aint funny! Sorry, just HAD to say it. Hope you get it figured out. Looks like a NO Cash fix, tho! I hope so,best O luck!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 09/08/07 at 14:08:27

The bars are OK. There are no damages. The Rizers are OK. The only thing that is a little off are the bolts that hold the rizers /the rizers are hollow and there are bolts going thru them/.
To fix the problem turn the bars to the Right all the way and keep pulling with Your right hand and pushing with the left. This should fix it. You might need to get a little help from a friend to keep the bike straight.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/08/07 at 18:30:40

A close look at the ends of the bolts sticking down thru the bushings looks a bit like the one on the left is maybe not as tight as the one on the right, possibly it is the angle. But, I think I see more bushing between the cup the nut holds against the bushing & the bottom of the upper triple tree. If you cant wrestle it back into position( I kinda hope you can't) loosen the nuts underneath & maybe you will need to loosen the top ends & allow the handlebars to be loosely sitting on top of the risers, & generally, just re install the risers.

Hey, guys, is it possible the bushings need to be spun around the bolt maybe 90 degrees? Maybe the hole thru the bushings has been distorted?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 09/08/07 at 18:44:32

Kinda looks like he bent the living daylights out of the bolts that clamp the handlebars down.
I think taking a pic from the side would show more

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:23:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Post - Need help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.