Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to savage (Read 1 times)
oksavage

new to savage
09/06/07 at 12:21:06

I just got an 86' savage.  belonged to my dad.  has been sitting for 5 years in a garage.  needed a new choke, battery, right front footpeg, tlc.  I installed the new parts and voila she started right up.  I went around the block everything seems ok......except.....I cleaned up the engine but I am getting some oil under the right chrome head cover, is this normal or do I need a new gasket?  I have heard that Savages blow some oil.  Also, where is a good place to get some dress up parts.  I'd like some more chrome and maybe update the mirrors etc.  One more thing there is some pretty thick surface rust on the wheels what's a good cleaner?  Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: new to savage
Reply #1 - 09/06/07 at 12:50:05

Welcome to the family!   Wink

The Savage does leak from the right side/top of the engine.  There is a plug that is usually the culprit.  If you do not yet have a Clymer's manual or Suzuki shop manual then you need to get the Clymer at least, since it will cover virtually everything an owner will do on his own.  If you get into A-Z rebuilds then get the shop manual too.  The Savage is easy to work on...about as simple as a motorcycle can get these days, so jump in and have fun.  You really cannot hurt the thing unless you just jump into tearing it into pieces and don't know anything about how to do it.  All of the regular maintenance and the basic mod's are easy to do.

Of course, anything is easy if you know how to do it, but really, this is a great bike to tinker with.   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/06/07 at 13:17:53

Old oil becomes acidic. If you havent, please change it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
david_morris
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/06/07 at 14:33:32

I am looking for exhaust for my savage its a 2003.  I would like the whole exhaust. Mine sounds ok but looks rusted inside alittle and is turned colors by the head.  Any suggestions.
Dave

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 09/07/07 at 08:56:46

david_morris wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I am looking for exhaust for my savage its a 2003.  I would like the whole exhaust. Mine sounds ok but looks rusted inside alittle and is turned colors by the head.  Any suggestions.
Dave

Please place any "want to buy/sell/trade" posts in The Marketplace forum.  Also, there are a lot of existing threads on muffler options and exhaust bluing.  Please try a few searches for those if you're interested in previous conversations.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/08/07 at 10:39:08

I would recommend living with the old exhaust while you iron out the other issues. It will likely blue the new one before you get the thing running right. Do the mods, get it running like you want. Once the jetting is richer, you can do the exhaust & not blue it. There are options on the header pipe. There are single wall units available, equal more flow, & the muffler options are plenty. You have a good platform to work from. These are fun bikes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:23:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new to savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.