Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Counting cam chain needs (new improved) (Read 121 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Counting cam chain needs (new improved)
Reply #15 - 09/05/07 at 20:26:20

The cryogenic stuff is pretty danged cheap. I think the freight would be more than the service/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #16 - 09/05/07 at 21:05:10

As others have said, it will have to be done eventually anyway.  Put me down for one.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #17 - 09/05/07 at 22:14:49

You guys are making me nervous......just how long does the average cam chain last til you have to take action? {sure that musta been asked before, but.....sorry},we used to have camchain probs on the Yam 650`s,  but they could hold til 50,000 miles if the guides didn`t get chewed. They had an external adjustment that was a routine tweak during tune up..but then most of us changed oil ever 500 miles or so....

Thanks,

B

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/06/07 at 04:30:16

I did mine at 14,000 miles. The tensioner was at 18mm( max by the book), but the chain itself was only about 1/2 worn( as the digital callipers measured). Others have ridden further, some have ridden fewer miles & had it cause probs, ( I think) Anyone say for sure?

Heres my plan, weak as it may be. Next chain gets new guides & cryo. Extend the tensioner to get better use of its extension. Someone mentioned shimming the front guide, which would advance the cam a bit & counter the cam retading from chain stretch. Might do that. I may rerun a cam chain, since the OEM was only 1/2 worn. That would save $50.00, minus the gasket & hassle, which may not be cost effective, dunno, Thoughts anyone?

I WILL, as I did on the last one, soak the camchain in oil for a day or 2, to make sure the pins get a wet start & dont have a few seconds of unlubricated, tension & stress applied, to start off with wear marks in the pins & plates.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 09/06/07 at 06:02:57

Quote:

I WILL, as I did on the last one, soak the camchain in oil for a day or 2, to make sure the pins get a wet start & dont have a few seconds of unlubricated, tension & stress applied, to start off with wear marks in the pins & plates.

That is a very practical step in the process and could make a difference.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 09/06/07 at 06:41:12

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Lancer and I are considering an arrangement with Morse to have them build a better cam chain for us.   The chain would be an "improvement on initial pin wear characteristics" which is all we need as we never wear the pins on a chain more than about a thousandth before we just plain run out of adjustment range.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/514213.JPG

Before we can pursue it, we need a straw count of how many chains would be involved in the special run and if it can be done at all at that volume.

Post below if you are interested in getting an improved chain.   We can't get any price unless we know about how many chains -- Morse will divide up their set up costs among the chains they do during the special run.

Just post below if you are interested in a better chain.  A stock chain costs $90 with shipping, so "rough plan" that this one will cost $110-$120.

Post your interest below so we can count the chains.

Oldfeller

Just a note regarding the proposed chain purchase...this will be on a strictly cost basis, no profit of any kind will be taken by anyone in this process.
We intend to take about a week to gather commitments from the members of this site and then request a cost estimate based on the number.  That will be posted and if acceptable to everyone then the order process will be initiated.  At that point, all payments for the chains will be collected so that when the call comes that the order is ready we will be able to make the payment immediately.
A few dollars will be added to the chain cost in order to cover shipping to each person.  I would estimate that $7 would probably cover USPS Priority & insurance within the US.  (An exact shp cost will be posted after weighing a box  with chain pkg)   If you are outside the US then the cost will be more of course, and that will be determined on an individual basis depending on where you live.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 09/06/07 at 13:34:43

This is going to be a one time thing, huh?

V

PS: Hi everyone!

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 09/06/07 at 14:46:36

Yep, and we will be lucky to talk Morse into doing it the one (1) first time and we will certainly need maximum volume on that single order to spread the set up costs out as much as possible to keep the price as reasonable as possible.

Justin, talk to your cryo contact and lets see if we can get a bulk discount price on cryo treating the whole batch of super chains at one lump if it is really that cheap to cryo them -- not much point in not maximizing things when we do them -- this one run will be the best we can technically get.

This would be the best possible construction chain with whatever cryo can actually do to help us added on top of it.

Justin, will you do that for us please?

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 09/06/07 at 14:51:28

If you post on other Savage boards please mention this effort to them as the extra volume will help lower the price for everybody and I don't think they would want to miss the opportunity this build will provide.

If we get enough volume we may actually be able to get the things done for cheaper than the $85 it costs from a stealership to buy a same old same old chain.  

No promises, but the possibility exists and volume does work wonders on priciing.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #24 - 09/06/07 at 15:40:38

Im in, please drop me an IM  when you need payment.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/06/07 at 19:15:00

Yea, I'll see what I can do. The scientist in me wants to do it 3 ways. Non-treated, not soaked, OEM, nothing special is already well documented.
I want to see it done different ways to compare results, BUt, the special chain may only pass this way once. I can't help but wonder what difference the oil bath made. I would like to compare that aproach to Oil bath AND cryo & compare that to the special chain with & w/o cryo. But, if it's a one time deal on the chain, better just unload on it & do all of it. I really dont have $100.00 to drop just now, so i will wait & just do OEM & oil soak & cryo. I am, Googling Cryogenic treatment cam chain motorcycle. any can join in the fun..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 09/06/07 at 19:51:28

Okay, had to go back & shorten message, lost quite a bit. Sorry it is disjointed, will try to provide enough info for everyone to understand what the deal is.

Items not specifically listed below will be charged by the pound: By The Pound Price List

We can accommodate large volumes of items for production/manufacturing industries at bulk rates. Please call for special pricing.

Please read our Engine and Transmission Preparation guidelines prior to sending parts.

Drive Train or Cam Timming Chain
$0.25 per inch of chain length

Sprockets
$1.50 per diameter inch

Head
$30.00
$45.00
$100.00
$115.00
$125.00
$135.00

Jugs
$30.00
$30.00
$30.00

Engine Block
$75.00
$125.00
$250.00
$300.00
$375.00
$400.00

Complete Engine $125.00 $250.00 $425.00 $525.00 $625.00 $825.00
Complete Transmission $55.00 $65.00 $135.00 $225.00 $295.00 $305.00
Complete Engine w/
Tranny and Clutch $175.00 $325.00 $550.00 $700.00 $850.00 $1,050.00
R/C Electrical $10.00 ea.
R/C Model Engines
>1cc: $25.00
<1cc: Call for price

®2001- 2004 NW Cryogenics
tel 661-944-3468   fax 661-944-3194   Email FreezeIt@nwcryo.com
35820 77th St East, Littlerock, California 93543

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/06/07 at 19:53:37

http://www.cryoplus.com/motorsports.html This is a different place, I dont see cam chain prices.

Doesnt mean they cant or wont or that it isnt well priced, just gotta do the homework.

2429 North Millborne Rd / Wooster, OH 44691 / phone: 330-683-3375 / fax: 330-683-2653

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 09/06/07 at 19:58:46

nce 1966.

Ed Busch is our chairman emeritus. Currently, 300 Below processes in excess of a million pounds of steel and components per year. 300 Below is responsible for establishing 153 operations which extend into 36 countries, all using 300 Below Cryo-processors. Even the research upon which the industry was founded, performed by Dr. Randall Barron of Louisiana Tech University, was funded by 300 Below.

Tooling
300 Below, Inc. has the ability to cryogenically process tooling of all different shapes and sizes.

More...Firearms (Cryo-Barrel)
300 Below frequently sponsors shooting events around the world, such as this shoot in Argentina.

More...Cryo Rotor Brake Rotors
300 Below's Cryo Rotor treatment helps large fleets cut costs! Emergency vehicles, delivery trucks and taxis benefit the most.

More...Motorsports
300 Below sponsored Justin Katz to race in the Midwest.

More...Sporting Goods
300 Below has processed sporting goods for many manufacturers, including Jack Nicklaus' golf clubs shown here.

More...Musical Instruments
300 Below cryogenically treats musical instruments to make them sound more crisp and smooth.  They are also easier to clean.

More...01 Musical Instruments02 Tooling03 Firearms (Cryo-Barrel)04 Cryo Rotor Brake Rotors05 Motorsports06 Sporting Goods    What We Do
300 Below, Inc. is involved in the process of Deep Cryogenic Tempering and has developed an advanced, computer controlled processing system for reliably treating materials.

As our name implies, we treat engine components and parts at minus 300 degrees Fahrenheit to improve their properties. Computer technology allows us to regulate temperatures to 1/10th of a degree...
 300 Below, Inc.
2999 E. Parkway Dr.
Decatur, IL 62526

sales@300below.com  

TOLL FREE (800) 550-2796
PHONE (217) 423-3070
FAX (217) 423-3075

IP Logged
mavinwy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/07/07 at 08:37:25

The bike the wife picked up last month will likely have more than 6K miles on it by the end of this riding season.  I understand that the chains are supposed to be good for more than that, but I also see folks having problems with them early too.....

So I'd be interested in getting one if it will make the bike more reliable in the long run and changing it out over the winter (and withe buying or making a better cam tensioner)

Mav

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Counting cam chain needs (new improved)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.