Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brake light problems (Read 12 times)
angthelaw
Ex Member

brake light problems
09/04/07 at 19:35:01

I have two issues with my brake light...

When I use the rear brake, the light will not come on until the brake pedal is pushed in the whole way. Is there any kind of adjustment that could be made so that the light turns on earlier?

When I use the front brake, it seems like the light won't come on until I pull in the brake lever and then let it out a bit. It is not entirely consistent in this behavior, though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Angela

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: brake light problems
Reply #1 - 09/04/07 at 19:46:51

rear brake switch has adjustment.  The switch is located just below right side cover (and to the back a little) and has a little spring on it.  Adjust the nut to raise or lower as needed.

Front barke switch is a "micro" switch (as in small) under the brake resevoir.  It should have a slotted hole, but I can't see it on mine and have yet needed to adjust it.

Service manual says they should turn on the light before brake pressure if felt.  Sort of means they should turn on the light before brakes start to grab and slow you down.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #2 - 09/06/07 at 18:30:34

I had to replace my rear break switch got a good deal from BikeBandit.com Smiley

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
angthelaw
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/13/07 at 13:33:15

Hi and thanks for the suggestions.

I was able to get the rear brake straightened out by adjusting that nut, but am still having issues with my front brake.

My husband and I tested the front brake switch (according to directions found in the Clymer manual). One of the tests did not pass, so I'm wondering if the problem is the switch? I also noticed today that the front brake will not engage the brake light unless the MOTOR is actually on (vs. just having the ignition key turned on).

So, do you all think I need to get a new switch? That's what the Clymer manual seems to say. And when the manual says to replace the switch, do they mean the entire switch housing (on ronayers.com for about $80)?

Thanks.

Angela

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/13/07 at 13:52:42

I don't know what year your bike is, but on my 2002, that switch is not a part of the housing.  It is a seperate micro-switch on the bottom of the front brake lever, and it sure don't cost $80!!
More like $11.
Brake and Clutch Levers

Item #6 in the drawing.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/13/07 at 15:16:26

If you lookup under where your brake lever pivots there are 2 little phillips head screws that is your switch.Be carefull when you take it taking it apart there is a TINY spring .On mine I took it apart cleaned the contacts and reassembeled it.It also has an adjustment when those 2 screws are loose. Try that. Winki just looked at Ron Ayers my mistake that is on the older ones I guess.$11.00and change.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/13/07 at 18:40:26

on my o6 i can hear the click of the front switch,usefull in waking up the cager behind..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
angthelaw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/13/07 at 18:44:58

Mine is an '87, so I think it might be different than yours... This was all I could find:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/handle_switch_1986-1988/handle_switch_...

Thanks.

Angela

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/14/07 at 03:35:40

ok, now I see what you are seeing!
demin has the same style as yours.
As he said, you can try taking it apart and cleaning it and/or adjusting it to see if that helps.
If it still doesn't work right, (and you are sure it's the switch), you might want to try putting a micro-switch on in place of what is there now.
It would be a lot cheaper than replacing the entire housing.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 09/14/07 at 04:50:07

I was just looking at the fiche on my local dealer's site, and it appears that a whole new front brake light switch from Suzuki is less than $15.  That might be the easiest way to go.

The part number in question is:  57460-17C01

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
angthelaw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/14/07 at 04:54:18

OK. Thanks everyone! I'll have to look into that micro switch to see if it can be repaired/replaced. That would definitely be preferential to forking out $80 for a new switch assembly.

Thanks.

Angela

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:27:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake light problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.