LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Performance Carb Info
09/03/07 at 07:51:53

I need to get out some info regarding the performance carb for the Savage/S40.

There have been some folks who have had some difficulty with the jetting on the carburetor, being too rich for their setup.  It seems that the exhaust systems/mufflers being used on the bikes are too restrictive for the amount of fuel/air that the carbs are supplying.
It is the old problem of too much in, but not enough out.

I want to be sure everyone understands that when swaping out the stock carb for a performance carb, it is necessary to have a FREE FLOWING EXHAUST SYSTEM.  Mufflers like the screaming eagles, Mac, Jardine, Supertrapp with plenty of discs, and some of the sporty/dyna tubes.  BUT, there are also some of those stock HD mufflers that have been showing up and are proving to be too restrictive.  I do not know yet which specific model year HD mufflers are the ones to avoid....perhaps a few of the folks who have recently installed the carb kits and have had the OVER RICH situation could post a note about which muffler they had initially.

The bottom line is that when installing a performance carb it is also necessary to have a performance capable exhaust system to keep the air flow going from beginning to end.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Re: Performance Carb Info
Reply #1 - 09/03/07 at 10:33:27

Would it help those with the restrictive HD pipes to drill out part or all of the baffle.

There are replacement performance baffles available for around $30 that can be put in the pipe once debaffled that will provide a little necessary back pressure.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/03/07 at 11:00:07

I am not a big fan of drilling on the back end of a muffler, it usually offers little to no effect when it comes to jetting on a significantly more capable performance carb.  This particular issue of rich mixture requires more airflow than just drilling can provide.
When a muffler is too retrictive then the only productive thing to do is remove the baffle, which may or may not be acceptable performance wise, or replace the muffler with another one that is a better match for the new intake/fuel system.
This is a balance thing...if you want more fuel/air to come in for better performance, then you have to be able to get more exhaust out in order to realize the potential of the "whole system".

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/03/07 at 14:57:54

lancer you dont address altitude...here at 4500' with 3" hard crome slash cut muff(tyvm!) and k&n drop in with stock carb on my 06 i had to down jet....52.5 pilot,141.3 main and dyno neddle down 4 notches...still get good pops on quick de cell and long down hill twisties..
another factor (specially here in west colorado)is wide temp and humidity swings...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 09/03/07 at 15:14:55

You are correct, altitude will affect the jetting.  One main jet size for about 3-4000' if I remember right, and temp/humidity can also affect it but not quite as much as the others.

With that said, my primary point for the post was to address a common issue with restrictive mufflers when making the carb swap.  Not every "other than stock" muffler is appropriate for the performance carb upgrade.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/03/07 at 15:22:44

yeppers... tune the carb to the pipe....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 09/06/07 at 13:38:30

my 38mm is till not jetted right, but I like the backfires. I CANNOT find the sweet spot on the pilot.  and the main works great going uphill, but sputters on a flat road.  I think I have a float issue.  Stock carb is jetted dead on with the same pipe.

At any rate, my point is that tuning a carb can be a long process, esp if yr. lazy (or drunk).

V

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance Carb Info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.