Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Done, and never again!!! (Read 71 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Done, and never again!!!
09/02/07 at 21:29:45

Well I guess I'm happy that's it's over. And yes in hindsight it was not tooooo bad, as long as you don't count not being able to get the forks off, getting the Allan bolt off, yanking on the fork to get the seal off, etc, etc.
Putting it back together was almost easier, except that I occasionally got confused with the sequencing of things, and that I didn't realize till later what the darn PVC pipe was for.
So yes if I had to do it again I could, but would I ???????
I am going to keep the PVC pipe and the wooden rod that I carved out to fit the inside rod to which the Alan attaches.
Just in case..............
Here's a pic of my messy garage, and my 1/2 bike and parts.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
murphy77

Savage + Devil =
Good Times !!!

Nevada
Re: Done, and never again!!!
Reply #1 - 09/02/07 at 21:47:06

Hi islandwahine,

Now that's a job, I didn't even feel like tackling. I think you're well on your way to becoming a " get dirty " savage mechanic  Wink

Very impressed and now it's my turn  Undecided because of you Angry just kidding.

Nice job...Dennis

Yellow '96, Dyna Muffler, Sportster Seat.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/03/07 at 00:41:40

Care to explain why the cookware is in the garage floor?
Thats a fine looking work area. Looks like a well organized aproach. ( But the cookware does kinda throw me)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 09/03/07 at 01:27:19

I couldn't think of where else to put the oil from the forks. I was going to measure it, and use it as a guideline for how much oil to put back in when I was done. But Max told me after I had done that, how much oil to put back in.
So now I have to find something else to put it in and bring it to the recyclers.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 09/03/07 at 04:52:53

what type of fork oil did you end up using ?
gotta love those repairs where you use kitchen stuff !

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 09/03/07 at 11:52:03

I couldn't find the 30 weight, so I used 20 weight.
Actually, it steers so much easier now for some reason.
I'm not sure what having new oil and seals would have to do with steering though.
I lucked out with what I ordered from BikeBandit.
It was a spur of the moment thought that I ordered new oil seal springs along with the oil seals and dust seals.
As it turns out, the springs were the culprits. Totally rusted out inside the fork, an causing rust spots on the fork stems, thereby ruining bot the oil and dust seals.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #6 - 09/03/07 at 12:04:00

Wahine if you don't mind what was the total cost of restoration? In the Clymers manual it states that you could have used Dextron ATF or SAE 15W fork oil. I am not sure of the cost of fork oil but tranny fluid is not all that much.

Thanks for the information.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 09/03/07 at 12:22:52

I think I paid about $50.00 at BikeBandit for 2 oilseals, 2 dust rings, and 2 oil seal clips, including shipping (which was only $6). I bought the Fork oil at a local bike shop for $12.00 (1 quart was just enough), and the PVC pipe which was $6 cause they would not let me buy just 2 feet, so I ended up with 10 feet. Left the remainder 8 feet at the store, wouldn't fit in the car. I also had to buy a solvent, used brake cleaner which worked real well, and some loctite (total $15)
I had the 1 1/4" wooden dowel left from when I did the seat riser which I used to keep the rod from spinning while tightening the Alan bolt. I also had some grease left to use for the front wheel.
So in total about $83. Not too bad

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #8 - 09/03/07 at 12:31:16

$83.00 seems like a  good deal. Did that include the springs? I noticed in the post that you had mentioned that the springs were shot. The reason I am asking is there is a lot of things I want to do over the winter. I just don't want the down time right now and I am trying to read enough on this site to feel comfortable breaking the bike down and putting it back together.

Thanks

straffordguy   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 09/03/07 at 12:58:49

Nope I did not replace big springs, it was the little spring clips that hold the oil seal down that were totally rusted out. I don't know if my big springs were fine,they looked like it, so I put the old ones back in.
Check out BikeBandit, they are really reasonable and have it shipped to you in days, real fast!

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #10 - 09/03/07 at 13:04:47

Thanks
~Strafford_Guy~

straffordguy   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 09/03/07 at 14:49:07

if shes single someone needs to snag her!!! Kiss

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #12 - 09/03/07 at 14:54:37

Long way for a date though Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 09/03/07 at 15:02:06

The first time I decided to change the fork oil on mine, I was just a tad surprised to find that the forks had virtually no oil in them at all.  It looked as if someone had put oil in them the check to make sure that they worked, then drained the oil for shipping.  When the dealer took the bike out of the crate and  prepped the bike at time of purchase, the forks were never checked, never had a drop of oil added at all.  Nothing like good old customer service........ Angry

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 09/03/07 at 15:17:51

Did you ruin the springs by riding without oil in the forks?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Done, and never again!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.