Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newb with 1987 LS650 (Read 3 times)
cherirae
Ex Member

Newb with 1987 LS650
09/01/07 at 20:57:08

Just completed my motorcycle safety course and obtained motorcycle designation on my license.  I purchased a 1987 LS650 with 19,320 miles to use as a starter bike.  Would appreciate info from anyone familiar with this bike in regard to areas of caution and proper maintenance.  Purchased through online auction and will pick it up later this next week.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Newb with 1987 LS650
Reply #1 - 09/01/07 at 21:05:55

This site is full of information on your bike, just start looking through the posts that look interesting and learn to use the search feature to help you find something specific. I think all questions have been asked at least twice and some 100 times. Welcome to our world. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 09/01/07 at 21:08:34

Get ready to get your hands dirty!
I think most of us girls (assuming cherirae is a girls name) are forced to turn into mechanics!
It has it's rewards though. Make sure you got the proper tools and a manual for sure. (you might want to read about the errors in the manual in the tech section first though, there's a bunch of them, which I discovered too late!)
Welcome to the club!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 09/01/07 at 22:41:57

Yes,I had no idea how to get started here. I finally learned to use the search here...just type in whatever youre looking for/interested in and it will bring up present & past posts on these subjects.

And look over the "tech" section ....lots of stuff on maintenace,misc stuff,etc.

Read alot....as Max said most questions have been asked already.

And ask specific questions if you can't find stuff ,most people will help out Smiley

If youre new to motorcycles,it can be confusing at first ,but starts coming together. At least that was how it was for me.....I'm still new!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 09/02/07 at 09:19:00

Cherirae,
Welcome.  Congrat's on purchasing a Savage.    

The bike is a simple bike which is some of the appeal.  It also has some guts unlike other starter bikes.  It also has some nice lines that look good.

Now that said, with anything mechanical you need to do maintenance.  Maintenance on the LS650 is so simple that many people choose to do it themselves.  The design of the bike could be considered Old-School and because of this, you can't skip any routine maintenance.  You should make sure you keep good clean oil in the bike.   With the mileage on the bike you are getting, it may be advisable to have the Cam tiiming chain checked.  

If you elect to take the bike to a cycle shop for maintenance,  Ask around and find a good shop that is both familiar with foreign bike and US bikes because the LS650 is a combination of both.   And, sorry to say, find out if it's a women friendly shop.  Some of the service writers in the big shops and some of the people in the small shops are, how can I say, less than update to date in the way they view women bikers.  

Good luck with the bike and enjoy.  Remember to ride in your comfort zone.   Practice makes perfect........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
cherirae
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/02/07 at 09:29:01

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.  Am especially glad to learn of the "search" feature.  I see it now but had not noticed before.   ???  My husband is very skilled in riding and maintaining bikes but it is totally new to me.  Am glad to have what sounds like such a good starter bike.  Must admit I am concerned about reliability of bike that is 20 years old.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 09/02/07 at 09:33:15

The bike is twenty years old, but they still make the exact engine.  That's got to say something about the design.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 09/02/07 at 15:35:32

Welcome to the best place in the world for Savage owners and especially to being the new and hopefully proud owner of one of the most underrated bikes on the road.
A stock Savage has a few shortcomings for sure, but with a little work and a few $$ it can be made into a great street bike with good milage, gobs of torque for the best riding that most folks do 95% of the time.  It is easy to work on and parts are just downright cheap when compared to any v-twin, triple or 4 banger.
Besides, the fun factor is at the top of the chart.

Ride safe and enjoy!   Wink   Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/02/07 at 17:50:21

Welcome to the group, glad to have you here.

Yes take the warning about the cam chain serious.  Read thru the cam chain library in the tech section.  And if you don't feel you can handle it yourself, print the thread out on how to check it and tell your husband there's a 6pack waiting after it's done.  Stand over him, watch what's going on.  Get him to show how to twist a few.  By the time it's done, you'll be ready to tackle anything on the bike.  Just read and do.  Ask questions when you don't understand.

Those girls are newbies, but they've learned alot.  And I expect to learning from them soon because I see they have potential.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 17:29:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newb with 1987 LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.