HELP! Stuck already (Read 28 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: HELP! Stuck already
Reply #15 - 09/01/07 at 21:24:04

I'd say you did very well. I think you are on the right path with the fine steel wool and just smoothing the edges of the pits and being sure there are no chrome blisters that will cut the new seal.  Either replacement or rechroming are the options for permanent cures. My first set were ruined by hard bugs and I got some diver suit like material for dirt bike gators and they did fine with those. 2nd set were a combination of no gaters after I put on the fork brace and the fork brace holding the forks slightly different than they were before. This time I used some of those old style gaters like English bikes had and hope they keep the bugs off. It is dry here in Eastern WA so I don't have the rust problem you would have in HI. Was homeprted there back in the early 60's and we were constantly chipping and painting what rusted in the engine room. Pressure washers are also hard on those seals as they force the grit down under the protector boot. Might want to lift the boots every couple months and check for rust accumulation. WD 40 (Water Dispersant try # 40) works well as does a CRC product you can get at the ahrdwarre or parts store.  No worry about a call, we are retired so everday is a Saturday, our kids are coming from MD and AK for a visit so we should be home. max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #16 - 09/01/07 at 21:27:20

Thanks Max, have a great day with the kids tomorrow!
I think I'll call it quits for today and start putting it back together tomorrow.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 09/02/07 at 17:20:50

Wow, almost done! put all the pieces back together. The wooden rod tapered down with an exacto knife worked great  to keep the inner gadget from spinning. And the PVC pipe was great for tapping the washer and seal in the fork!
Thanks a bunch guys!!
I ended up cleaning the outside of the engine while I could reach it. The oil from the seal had splattered all over the front, and it was pitch black. Now if oil starts showing up I know it's not the seals. Lets just hope it doesn't I'm tired already!!
Now I have to fill the forks with oil and slide them back in.
I sure hope I don't accidentally hold on to the bottom part and have the oil spill all over the top!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #18 - 09/02/07 at 17:53:27

How long does the oil need to settle before inserting the long spring?
It just seems awfully full too me!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP! Stuck already

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.