Send Topic Print
Front light problem (Read 4 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Front light problem
09/01/07 at 09:59:40

Oh friends of great knowledge!!!  I need a starting point for a light problem and that is:

1...Turn on switch... lights come on..start up... lights do not come back on.
2...Turn on switch...no lights...start up..no lights.
3...Turn on switch... lights come on..start up ....lights come on.
4...Horn will not work when lights do not come on.
The above problem does not affect the turn signals.  Could this be a switch problem?? I'm inclined to think it would be a loose wire or ground wire.

The tail lights are not affected.....Your thoughts please.

05 S40

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front light problem
Reply #1 - 09/01/07 at 10:30:18

Reportedly, you have a headlight relay to shut it off durring startup.  I'd check that out first to see if it's operating correctly.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/01/07 at 18:13:57

the flash to pass sw has a common wire with the horn
b/r from horn to common point also to dimmer sw then dgr to left front sig and also gr to right front sig.. are your front running lights working??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 09/02/07 at 08:49:59

Thanks verslagen1 and thumperclone for the info.  Will check it out.  Where might I find the physical location of the headlight relay?

The front runnig lights come on and off with the headlight.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/02/07 at 11:54:33

if imreading the wiring diagram correctly the starter switch has 2 pairs of wires..o/r and y/w pair,o/r comes from rectifer,y/w goes to flash to pass switch as b/r after harness plug

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #5 - 09/18/07 at 11:26:40

Ta.......Daaaaa!!! Found the problem.  It is in the start button!!  Found it by sheer luck and chance.   If the lights don't come on or go off (When ever), by jigling the button they will come on.  Now I go down the road jigling the button.

Now the question is how hard is it the install a new switch.......Tried cleaning with air for computer parts but no success.

Why this effects only the system for the above lights beats me.  Thanks for your help....This is a great site.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 09/18/07 at 12:46:40

First ,shoot some WD-40 or CRC in  there.   Isn't a long term fix but will help for a while.  It helps control the oxidation.  

To change switch, you have to a replacement.  OEM replacement is the whole Right hand control unit,  not just the internal little switch.

It's sort of unplug and swap out process but there is the throttle cable to play with.

All in all , not a hard job,  just a little tedious.

If you are handy, and detail orientated, you could take it apart and clean the little internal switch,  but.....there are tiny little springs in there to watch out for.  And it's more tedious than just swapping the unit out.   Clean with contact cleaner available at Radio Shack (or should I say, most Radio Shack's)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/18/07 at 21:45:25

I can tell ya opening that switch is no big deal at all. If you dont see so well, get some magnifier lenses in a headband like jewelers wear. Around $25.00 Hobby Lobby, under SIX at Harbor freight AND they look to be better, too. But, since I already have the ones from Hobby Lobby, I wont find out.

Sweep the floor before you start the project, so if anything hits the floor, it wont be hiding behind a bunch of other stuff. IF you drop something, lay down & look across the floor for something poking up. If you drop something, dont try to catch it, be very still, eyes open, listen closely & try to catch the motion of it out of the corner of your eye. (I used to fix copiers 7 thers a lot of little stuff in there & cash register printers) You can also create a perimeter out of towels, so if somethng hits the floor & takes off, there is only so far it is likely to go. Remeber to put something over the tank, so if you drop any tools it wont get dinged.

The switch is realy easy to work on, I didnt drop anything during this operation. Go slow, Its easy to replace it if you wreck it, but why not TRY to fix it? You may not replace it at all!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #8 - 09/19/07 at 15:30:23

Thanks!!!............will try the WD-40 before taking the switch apart (maybe).  More likely to go and get replacement so the owner can pay for his BMW  Smiley.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front light problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.