Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Generator not Alernator!!! (Read 9 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Generator not Alernator!!!
08/31/07 at 06:24:59

All,
 I keep see many people call the charging system an Alternator.  This is wrong.  It is a generator.

Why??

An Alternator is a "set "of coils, one spinning, one fixed.  One of them gets a voltage from the battery (or other source) which creates a electro-magnet effect.  Most modern Alternators have a regulator to adjust this voltage so you get a faster recovery.  But, an alternator will work poorly if the voltage drops too low.    Now, this sounds like your getting enery from nowhere, but, don't forget that you're burning fuel and stealing some of that energy to convert to electricty.

A Generator has a coil and a set of magnets.  It will work with a dead battery or a fully charged battery.   Minor problem with generators is the faster they spin the more voltage they create.  That's why there are voltage regulators.  Bigger issue is, if they spin too slow then they don't give enough voltage.

Now,......many people think that a generator makes DC voltage and a alternator makes AC voltage.  They see the rectifier on the bike (thingy that makes AC into DC )and thus think they have an alternator.  This is WRONG.  All generators and alternators create AC voltage.  To get DC voltage, they use rectifiers, either external or internal to the unit.

So,  the LS650 has a generator because it has magnets spinning around the stator coil(s).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Generator not Alernator!!!
Reply #1 - 08/31/07 at 06:44:43

OK

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/31/07 at 13:42:57

correct.. the field is mounted on the rotating part and is refered to as  the rotor.the armature isw wound on the stationary part and refered to as the stator..ls 650 has a
3 phase >100 volt(@ 5k rpm) AC generator that goes to a regulator/rectifier = 14 -15.5 volts dc across battery @ 5k rpm..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 09/01/07 at 02:11:12

Wonder why Clymer's manual calls it an alternator???

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/01/07 at 06:21:15

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Wonder why Clymer's manual calls it an alternator???
theres a post here some where that lists clymers' errors..ssm calls it a  AC generator..

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #5 - 09/01/07 at 10:51:36

so the faster the engine is running, the more power is generated?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/01/07 at 10:56:28

Only as long as the coils are energized.

So I guess Vdub's of old had a DC altenator?

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/01/07 at 15:48:58

One of my Dad's old Beetles had a gen.  Think it was the '64.  Not sure what was in the '68 and couldn't see what was in the '01 but 99% sure that was an Alt.   My '78 Sirocco had an Alt because I blew the volt reg trying to jump my '46 Jeep (didn't have RPM's up on the VW, not enough juice,.....expensive oops)

Reason why many cars and such went to alternators, the field voltage could be adjusted at lower RPM's to get more juice.  Then adjusted at higher RPM for less.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/01/07 at 18:03:18

feelinjunky wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
so the faster the engine is running, the more power is generated?

power is measured in wattage,revs of a generator is mesure in hertz(cycles per second)..
larger field = more power
3 phase current is more efficient/easier to rectify to dc..

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 09/01/07 at 20:52:21

This discussion kinds follows what I learned at Oregon TEch many years ago and had reinforced over the years by factory trainers. For what is worth the standard terminology now is generator according to GM. I think it came with the SAE standards for OBDII in '96. In alternators it was easier and took less current to control the rotor magnetic field than to have large pole show magnets in generators, Also all the current had to go through the brushes so output was limited. An  advantage of a generator was it had residual magnetism and would start charging even with a dead battery when you coasted down a hill and started it that way. Most alternators do not and need have an exciter voltage/current to start them. It usually comes via the light bulb and the bulb goes out when the alternator voltage = battery voltage. FWIW both are AC generators, the brushes and armature rectified it in the old style and the diodes do in the new one. This discussion could easily run the same as oil choices, helmet laws, cam chain wear or other personal choice items. MAx

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:23:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Generator not Alernator!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.