Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake pad question (Read 254 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Brake pad question
08/29/07 at 15:39:20

What kind of brake pads do you use?  Is it an easy do-it-yourself job for a non-mechanic?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: Barke pad question
Reply #1 - 08/29/07 at 17:43:52

I recently did both front and rear. I use EBC pads bought from BIKEBANDIT, around 25$ for each set. I think most agree the EBC pads are definitely better than OEM pads  and are reasonably priced. Following the Clymers guide, it is not too difficult. There is also a thread in the tech section with photos that show the front brake pad replacement with good clarity. Part of the fun of this bike is some of these repairs can be fairly easily done by yourself and will save you significant money. If you know your way around a few wrenches and can read a manual, I say go for it. I don't consider myself a mechanic but I know a few things. One of which is I don't like paying someone $75 bucks an hour doing something that I could do. You will learn this quickly as you call dealerships for price quotes on normal repairs issues. Even though I have only 2 seasons under my belt, I feel like I can call myself a biker, because I also wrench on it.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Brake pad question
Reply #2 - 08/31/07 at 04:47:10

For the front pads...

SBS SBS-581HF Ceramic Pads at i-Bike.com

It's a 10-15 minute job, including cleaning, if you've done it before or have similar experience.  I'd guess that if you were just following along in the Clymer's or Suzuki manual, taking your time with each and every thing, and enjoying a couple of beers along the way... you could maybe stretch it to an hour if you really tried.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #3 - 08/31/07 at 05:52:25

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

Rob, have you found that those pads last longer or stop better than the EBC HP pads?

The front pads are an easy job. I haven't tackled the rear brakes. But I've always thought that disk brakes were tons easier than drum brakes.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/31/07 at 06:15:53

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Rob, have you found that those pads last longer or stop better than the EBC HP pads?

The front pads are an easy job. I haven't tackled the rear brakes. But I've always thought that disk brakes were tons easier than drum brakes.

I've read a lot of good about ceramic pads and only put them on mine recently.  The last set I used were sintered metal pads (I think DP was the brand but I don't recall now) and they worked well and lasted me about 7500 miles.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/31/07 at 15:18:59

Pay attention to, clean & lube, the parts that allow the calliper to shift sideways & draw the pads together as the piston is pressed out of the calliper body by the fluid. This will allow the pad wear to be even & maximize the braking power. I use antisieze. Don't get it on the brake pads or rotor, though.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 08/31/07 at 16:06:08

Rob, are the pads shown (SBS SBS-581HF) on the iBike page that opens when you click on the link the correct size for the savage?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/31/07 at 17:50:25

Starlifter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Rob, are the pads shown (SBS SBS-581HF) on the iBike page that opens when you click on the link the correct size for the savage?

That's what's on mine right now and that's where I bought 'em.  Here's their "front brakes" page and you can just search for LS650 on that page.  That's how I got there.

http://www.i-bike.com/store/front_brakes.cfm

Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 08/31/07 at 19:18:12

Thanks Rob. Bookmarked.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 06/29/08 at 21:56:29

I use the EBC Organic pads.  I have found in the past (on other bikes) that sintered pads are rough on the rotors.  The organic pads don't last as long as sintered pads do, but the pads on the Savage are mucho easy to change and pads are certainly cheaper than rotors!

« Last Edit: 08/06/08 at 20:34:04 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 06/29/08 at 22:21:32

did my pads in 20 mins after 9500 miles on oem set..ive never touched pads b4...ssm doesnt show/mention any lubing to be done...
the stationary pad(closest to the hub) on the oem set was lil more worn than the other..dont understand that .... Huh

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/29/08 at 22:26:18

thumperclone wrote on 06/29/08 at 22:21:32:
did my pads in 20 mins after 9500 miles on oem set..ive never touched pads b4...ssm doesnt show/mention any lubing to be done...
the stationary pad(closest to the hub) on the oem set was lil more worn than the other..dont understand that .... Huh

You should lube the alignment pins on the caliper for smoother operation such as uneven wear.

You can also apply some lube on the rub points of the pad but be vary sparing and use high temp grease (antiseize)

WWW   IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 07/07/08 at 11:41:42

Anyone replaced their OEM rotor with an EBC rotor?  Any difference in stopping power?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/07/08 at 11:48:47

There won't be much difference between rotors, they're both made from cold rolled steel and almost the same chemistry.  Friction coefficient should be nearly the same.  You'll notice more difference from the pad material.

WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/07/08 at 14:22:23

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home