Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery Node (Read 4 times)
Raidenator
Ex Member

Battery Node
08/29/07 at 10:18:34

I just recently bought a used '99 650.

Well, there seems to be a problem with the electrical that I didn't see in the beginning. The wires that connect to the battery seem to be loose and the bolt that should hold them down onto the battery absolutely refuses to tighten or let me pull it out. It seems that it isn't attached really at all because it just rattles around and I can pull it up about a half inch before it stops.

Anyone have any advice for me? I've tried using electrical tape to hold it down, which doesn't last. I've tried this "steel" epoxy type stuff but it doesn't seem to give me as tight of a seal as I need.

Help please, it almost makes the bike unridable. Especially when I'm stuck with my left hand having to hold the battery wires down so the bike engine doesn't cut off on the highway.

Thanks.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Battery Node
Reply #1 - 08/29/07 at 10:39:04

Which side is not coming off? positive or negative?
never mind I noticed you said left hand.
Is the head of the bolt shredded? is that why it won't come off, or is it corroded on?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/29/07 at 11:41:35

Batteries use either a rectangular nut or in some cases a hex nut that fits loosely into the shell battery terminal. Your description sounds like it may be cross threaded and has spun out the bottom part of the terminal. I'd start by using a tool to lift it and see if you can get the screw/bolt out and then look at the nut/threaded plug. Try starting the screw/bolt in from the opposite side to chase the threads off the bike. If it is salvagable then you are in business, if not get a new fasterner from a cycle battery shop, or maybe even a salvage yard battery. I've got some of each style I've kept from core batteries for one I need them. Can envelope and send one if you tell me the stle you need. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Raidenator
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/29/07 at 16:38:12

^^^ Well, you give good advice. The problem is just getting that bolt out in the first place. I'll do what I can, in the meantime I may just have to quit riding for a day or two. I'm wondering if the threading inside the battery has been hammered with cross threading. But I would think if that were the case the bolt would be stuck inside. I'll give it a look.

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Which side is not coming off? positive or negative?
never mind I noticed you said left hand.
Is the head of the bolt shredded? is that why it won't come off, or is it corroded on?

The head of the bolt is fine. That's the weird thing. I can use a socket or a wrench and turn it just fine but it will neither tighten nor loosen anymore than it already is. It's pretty loose, so it seems as though the bolt isn't catching on anything inside the hole. A friend suggested that after I'm able to get it out, to put some teflon (sp?) tape on it. I'll give that a shot if I can ever get it out.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 08/29/07 at 17:19:41

Raidenator wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The head of the bolt is fine. That's the weird thing. I can use a socket or a wrench and turn it just fine but it will neither tighten nor loosen anymore than it already is. It's pretty loose, so it seems as though the bolt isn't catching on anything inside the hole. A friend suggested that after I'm able to get it out, to put some teflon (sp?) tape on it. I'll give that a shot if I can ever get it out.

Why bother with Teflon tape???!!! You are just going to give yourself another headache in the future if you need to get it out! You can always use a regular nut (6 sided) and slide it in with the flat sides left and right. I had to do that once and it works fine. I assume you have a hardware store in the neighborhood?
Maybe if you can wedge something between the bolt and the case and lift it up while turning the bolt, it might re-thread its way out.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 08/29/07 at 21:28:15

Threads are not in the battery terminal on any I've run across as it is soft lead material, but there is always a first time. However if you cannot pull the bolt all the way out then the nut or whatever is on the bottom threads and is just spinning in the terminal on the battery. I know the space you are working in is limited, but you need to try to get the nut up to the top of the terminal inisde part,  to see if will stop turning so you can disassemble it and replace the damaged bolt and nut. A pair of small needle nose vice grips maye be able to hold the nut enough by slightly deforming the terminal to get it loose. Use care or you may damage the battery terminal beyind use and get to buy a new one.  Running with it arcing can make the electronics in the ignition and voltage regulator system let the smoke out and when the smoke gets out it is broken! Ask Paladian how to get the smoke back in. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #6 - 08/30/07 at 01:55:30

Just remember, if the positive terminal is messed up, make sure you disconnect the negative. You'll be wondering how to get that welded wrench off the frame!!! It's amazing what a little amperage and 12 volts can do!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/30/07 at 04:42:08

Ok here you go:

1) The positive wire goes from Batt to starter solenoid where is meets up with the wire from the generator.    Disconnect it at solenoid.  Tape up the connecter so it can touch a ground point ((and light up your life)).

2) then do as Max said above.  I would first try regular needle nose pliers and applying lifting pressue while turning the bolt to see if you can get it out.

3) once wires are disconnected, take battery out and get a new battery.  Don't try to fix it unless you can buy the very expensive electro-conductive glues.  Most glues are insulative (don't conduct electricty) and there is a strong possibility you won't get a good charge or a connection for good starter cranking AMP's.  Bad connections cause heat and could melt things.

So, what happened to the battery.?..?..?......My guess is someone over thightened the bolts and stripped them slightly.   Then the vibrations of driving loosened up the bolt.  Then, as the generator tried to charge the battery, it started to arc inside the hole and really messed up the threads.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:29:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Node

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.