Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Float removal? (Read 11 times)
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Float removal?
08/28/07 at 06:51:39

Any one got a proven technique for getting the retaining pin out of the float assembly? Without beating the hell out of the carb? (I was a machinist's mate in the Navy, I already know about using a bigger hammer  Grin) I need to check/replace the O-ring and needle valve and I don't want to trash the carb getting that pin out.

I tried a search but couldn't find anything...

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Float removal?
Reply #1 - 08/28/07 at 08:47:12

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:06:57 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/28/07 at 08:49:17

Thanks, man. I'll have to give it try tomorrow- gotta do the work thing right now...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/28/07 at 12:23:34

If I remember right,..and it's been a while... there is a slight bevel on one end of the pin,...that's the end you want to tap.  I used a paneling nail, and some gentle tapping on it with a tiny tack hammer.
Just don't loose your patience.  And once your in there, remember to clean the needle seat with a q-tip soaked in carb cleaner too.
Good luck,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/28/07 at 13:11:03

It shouldn't be hard to get out look at both sides one side has a head on it the other side wont just a center punch and a little tap and it comes right out. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #5 - 08/28/07 at 14:03:27

i pressed mine out with a phillips screwdriver and very moderate pressure.  i think i tapped the end of the screwdriver with another screwdriver the first time i took it out.  

smaller hammers work better a lot of the time.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/29/07 at 07:30:18

Got the thing out about ten minutes ago...

That O-ring?

Wasn't an O-ring...

Basically, there was black goo packed in the groove around the needle valve.

Fortunately, the needle valve itself looks d@mn near brand new. *wipes nervous sweat from brow with a sigh of relief* $37 is a Ridiculous Price to pay in my opinion.

I think what was happening (aside from the rubber disentigrating) was when I'd run it, it would get suction past the outside of that valve, which at throttle, didn't do much except cause a rich condition. When I'd let off the throttle, gas was still flowing past the valve and puking out the vent tubes. I'd shut off the fuel with the petc0ck and it'd stop running all over the driveway.

So, I'm off to the parts store to find an O-ring and hopefully, that will solve my problem and I can down the business of actually riding!

(Who the Hell thought it was good idea to mix food with gasoline anyway? If I want corn while I'm riding or driving, I'll listen to the effing farm report...)

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #7 - 08/29/07 at 16:31:38

had the same problem myself.  make sure you get a "gas-safe" o-ring selection from autozone.   There are two that'll fit in there in the "HELP!" assortment.  Use the skinnier one.

What happens when that o-ring is blown is, basically, an ineffective float.  fuel will overflow around the needle valve body and flood the crankcase.

Change your oil.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/29/07 at 17:14:45

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
... Use the skinnier one.

...Change your oil.  

Done and done.

Stealership wanted to order an o-ring: four days and an extra service charge. So I got in the 'zone...

After putting it back together, didn't have time to ride it before I went to work, but I was able to test if it was gonna puke gas all over the place. It didn't. I was happy. I'll have time in the morning to take her for a run.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 08/29/07 at 17:24:36

I love it when something I need to know pops up at the right time! I'm going to do the same thing right now, and see if it is causing me not to be able to ride with the choke back in.
Wonder if my needle is surrounded by a bunch of goo as well!
I'll find out.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/30/07 at 06:57:49

Just got back from a five-minute test run. Works great. That one little piece of black rubber gave me such a headache...

Now I need to put the 152.5 back in- the 150 feels a tad lean...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 08/30/07 at 11:20:09

High fuel level in bowl.....Aaahhhhh......gas will come out the tiny holes (oops - passageways) and cause a rich condition.   Good find!!!

Islandwahine,
  Having to run the choke when driving is the opposite.  Not enough fuel get thru for multiple reasons.  Sorry, but like they said, sounds like you need to do a close inspect of the carb.   Rainy weekend project........carb off bike is best, but not always necessary.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #12 - 08/30/07 at 20:25:00

i've got posts all over the place about that stinking o-ring.  took me 3 GD months to find it.  I couldn't swear enough.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:37:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float removal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.