engine removal (Read 55 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
engine removal
08/27/07 at 15:55:50

Well, since breaking off a header bolt, it's time to get her fixed.  I've removed battery and airbox and it looks like about five or six bolts hold the engine in place.
Any suggestions or is there a recommended order of taking them out.  And as an important side note, how do I take the belt off??  
I'm planning on taking the engine to a shop, have them take the top end off, hopefully fix the broken bolt, and have the cam done while the top end is apart..Lancer, I'll be calling soon for directions..Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: engine removal
Reply #1 - 08/27/07 at 18:49:59

Belt comes off with the front pulley I think. Not enough room between pulley & engine case for the belt to slip out. (Note* I havent been here, so I am flying on what I thinkI remember reading)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 08/27/07 at 18:56:57

I just recently put a new rear fender on and the wheel has to be removed for that so i am fairly familiar with the belt process. I believe that you can move the rear wheel all the way foreward by loosening the rear alignment bolts and the belt will slide off the drive pully.
   as far as the engine bolt are concerned i dont think there is any real order but i suggest doing the long through mounting bolts last while the engine sits on a jack and the rear is on a stand.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 08/27/07 at 19:12:42

Just rebuilt my engine.......big note.....it's heavy!!!!

Suggest two people to remove and to install. Hoist might be nice , but you would have to figure out how.....

If you like your paint, tape up the frame to prevent scratching.  Good old duct tape....

as for the rest.....you really need the manual.  I could type away here but you will do best if you had the manual.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 08/27/07 at 19:14:48

i left the belt on the front pulley when i pulled mine. i started at the front and worked my way back. there are some allen bolts at the back of the motor that are a PITA to get out. took alot of wigglin to get mine out also. i only took the pulley off of the back wheel to get the belt off, but when putting it back together, i had to pull the wheel to put it back on. have fun, i sweated my a$$ off, and cussed more than i ever have putting it back together.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 08/27/07 at 19:24:31

While you can loosen the rear wheel and spin the belt off the rear pulley, you cannot slip the belt off the front pulley, there is not enough room between the case and the front pulley. You have to remove the nut and pull the pulley. This much I've done before, removing the engine is too much for my weak constituuion. Just thinking about it makes me wanna hurl.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 08/27/07 at 21:11:01

I haven't had the guts to really look at this,as I suspect it is out of my league, but..I don't supose the frame would lift up over the engine?  That would be to easy.  
So.for the belt- loosen the rear wheel and move it forward. this might loosen the belt enough to slip it off.

Hey Rogue cheddar.I'm almost at that same point..
T-Mack1..by heavy, what do you think the engine weighs?   I was thinking of going rear to top to front as far as order of bolts, as the long through bolts that also hold on the foot controls seem easiest.  Splash- a jack make sense, gonna have to ask around the neighborhood if anyone has one that would fit..thanks all for the help.  I'll let you know what happens (trailoring it  all to the shop is looking better, but I's like to tryit myself.)

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 08/27/07 at 21:15:12

Loosend all the bolts and lay the bike down on a car tire or a mattress. Then pull the bolts out and wiggle the frame. That will let the motor move down, then lift off the darn thing.
Of course you need to remove everything and disconnect all the wires, you also need to remove the muffler bracket and the brackets the battery box is sitting on. I've removed and installed 2, and this is the easiest motor I've done. ironically the 4 cyl seca 2 is a close second and the 2 cyl GS is a true PITA. A GR650 motor fits in easier in a GS500 frame than the GS motor in the GS frame.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #8 - 08/28/07 at 08:41:40

I had a lot of problems spining the belt off the rear pulley. IMO it's way easier to just take out the axle first.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/28/07 at 09:20:16

I think the engine is about 100 lbs.  Think I remember reading that in clymers.  I was able to lift it with the rear still loosely bolted.  But that sob is heavy.

I'd just slip the axial out so you don't have to readjust.  The wheel can roll all the way forward and then it's easy to get the belt off the back.  Then roll it up on itself, tie it off and leave it.

good luck.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 08/28/07 at 11:37:19

If the reason for R&R engine is just the bolt, You don't have to do it. You can leave the engine in the frame, just turn it sideways a little bit.
So:
1.Make sure the bike can stay straight without the kickstand !
after that
Front belt pulley nut -Off
Rear wheel loosened and all the way forward to releave the belt tension.
Gas tank-Off
Carb-Off
Battery box -Off
Exhaust is already Off
Right footpeg is -  Off
Take off the upper bracket that attaches the engine head to the frame./3 bolts with nuts/
Pull the 2 bolts that hold the rear of the engine
Pull the 2 long front engine bolts.
Using a pry-bar or big screwdriver turn the engine sideways, so You have perfect access to the bolt.
  About the belt, when there is no tension on the belt, the front pulley is very easy too slide out and reinstall.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 08/28/07 at 16:19:58

Thanks all for the responses..the reason I'm thinking of this is I broke off the upper header bolt , then snapped the easy out.  My thinking is the top end of the engine will have to go to a machine shop ...or heavens forbid, be replaced.  So, if that is the case, then I was thinking of having the cam shaft done while the engine was out and about.  The other choice is to bring the partially stripped savage to the bike shop and run to the bank for a loan. Cheesy

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 08/28/07 at 22:21:09

So pull the head off.
Drop the engine in the frame- just remove the engine mounting bolts and You will have enough place to slide the head off the studs.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 08/29/07 at 05:28:46

Slavy, it's hard to believe there is room but obviously you've done it so there must be. I have not done such surgery before but it's about time I earned..after I line up some backup who actually know what they are donig..thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:22:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.