Send Topic Print
Side mount air filter (Read 37 times)
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Side mount air filter
08/27/07 at 11:30:26

I have seen a few pictures of air filters sticking out the side of the Savage. Anyone know how this is done?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Side mount air filter
Reply #1 - 08/27/07 at 12:27:31

Some of those I've seen used rubber plumbing elbows from a hardware store.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/27/07 at 12:44:08

Cool!...  I'm  always impressed whenever bike customization enters the plumbing section of the hardware store.

My bike has custom pvc pipe, a luggage lock, a kitchen drawer handle, a helmet visor, a vcr lid, and a chopped up street sign.  Take that Kuryakyn!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #3 - 08/27/07 at 15:55:52

hey serowbot can you clearify what is where? Kuryakyn has nothing on you.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/27/07 at 17:34:42

Let me see.....
1/2" pvc pipe spacers for seat lift 2"tall, and for a pair of spacers to get the rear fender height right.  A luggage lock on the throttle cable to work as a tripmeter, a kitchen drawer handle behind the seat that I clip my little tool bag to, a helmet visor over the headlight as a mini fairing, a vcr lid, shaped to the rear of the seat, covers the ugly underseat area from the rear and a chopped up street sign was used to make my license plate/ taillight mount.
I also have a fanny pack mounted behind the helmet visor/mini fairing to hold misc. stuff.
Oh... and a hockey puck clamped to the kickstand for a bigger footprint on soft ground.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 08/27/07 at 18:13:55

How did you clamp the hockey puck to the kickstand pad? Sounds like a good idea.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/27/07 at 18:39:08

Starlifter,

Used a muffler-clamp type U-bolt over the kickstand foot, drilled holes in the puck for the bolts to go through, a piece of metal for a bottom plate, routed out an inset in the bottom of the puck , for  the plate and bolts to be flush.
Sounds much more complex than it was.  Took about 15 min. and a puck is about $2 or $3 bucks.

BTW my bike has 12.5" shocks so the amount of lean on the kickstand is now about like stock.  For a stock bike you might consider a thinner footplate?

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #7 - 08/27/07 at 18:49:45

serowbot, thanks for the info.  Great going on the mods

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 08/28/07 at 04:53:25

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Starlifter,

Used a muffler-clamp type U-bolt over the kickstand foot, drilled holes in the puck for the bolts to go through, a piece of metal for a bottom plate, routed out an inset in the bottom of the puck , for  the plate and bolts to be flush.
Sounds much more complex than it was.  Took about 15 min. and a puck is about $2 or $3 bucks.

BTW my bike has 12.5" shocks so the amount of lean on the kickstand is now about like stock.  For a stock bike you might consider a thinner footplate?

That's cool.  I didn't even notice the puck... and I have one on mine too (though I actually drilled the foot of the sidestand to mount mine) as well as the 12.5" shocks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 08/29/07 at 01:01:26

I need to do the "hockey puck" mod on the 99 because of the extra height and lean caused by my 4" over fork legs.  8)

Opps... sorry I've contributed to taking this thread farther off course of the "side mount air filter." A subject I've been meaning to breech myself at some point, but with a bit more complication. You'll understand when you read my idea...

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #10 - 08/29/07 at 16:53:29

schedule 40 PVC.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #11 - 08/29/07 at 21:03:24

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

Nice Job, any rain issues?
Thanks
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/29/07 at 21:53:30

My bad on the thread highjack... I really do admire the creativity on using the elbow joint,  it's a really cool idea!

Is the foam filter a custom fabrication or an aftermarket for something else?  Doe's it get in the way of your leg at all?  

Thanks for posting the pics.  Do you have any from further back to show the whole bike?

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #13 - 08/30/07 at 09:12:16

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
 My bad on the thread highjack... I really do admire the creativity on using the elbow joint,  it's a really cool idea!

Is the foam filter a custom fabrication or an aftermarket for something else?  Doe's it get in the way of your leg at all?  

Thanks for posting the pics.  Do you have any from further back to show the whole bike?

Foam filter is a Uni Filter.  On the web for around $15 shipped.

Leg rides over it, so I don't have rain issues.  

At stops I do have to hold my leg a bit differently on the right side, but it's not a big move nor uncomfortable.

I used schedule 40, took my calipers to the store and got an elbow, a female-female coupling, and a piece of pipe.  Cut the pipe to slide into the fittings so they butt against each other.  Cut the stock airbox fitting and clamped it onto the elbow.  Clamped the Uni on the coupling, and voila!

About 30 bux total, including foam filter oil.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 08/30/07 at 11:06:48

One step more,

A Y-adapter off the carb, then into 2 U's going into veloctiy stacks pointing forward.   This should get you pass sucking in hot air (isn't it cool air = go faster? ?), and add a little Ram scoop affect.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:27:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Side mount air filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.