Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Battery+checks for beginner (Read 16 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Battery+checks for beginner
Reply #60 - 09/02/07 at 20:14:30

Sorry guys,

When I said !(I'm not totally dumb,just a beginner,......

Afterwards that sounded kind of rude, didn't mean to be rude.I know people are just trying to help!

Just very frustrated over the fuses!Something that should be so simple!

But I'll give everything a rest for tonight! and start over tomorrow when I'm not so frustrated Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #61 - 09/02/07 at 22:55:44

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
islandwahine,
   Since you live in a humid climate, you may want to buy the stainless steel screws at the hardware store.  

I just did, 45 cents per screw (wow).
They should last for a while.
But you know they say stainless steel doesn't rust. Well, that's just a myth. I have really expensive stainless steel pots and pans, and one of them I never use because it's huge. It was stored in my cabinet, and when I took it out to use it for some dying It had a bunch of rust spots on it. Go figures

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #62 - 09/03/07 at 00:30:05

Stainless Steel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

I did a search,some say it wont rust that if there's rust it is from a contaminate!

But my question about better quality screws originally was...

Meant rather...ones that wont strip so easily,stronger!!

Will do a search and see if I can find out Smiley

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #63 - 09/03/07 at 02:30:50

Ok,this is what I found:

"Stainless steel is generally a stronger fastener and will not show rust but will dull as time and oxidation takes its toll but is better in a damp salty environment than chromed bolts.Chrome bolts are better in/for a dryer climate."

That was what I was trying to find,which one was better/stronger, chromed or stainless steel.

Could be something stronger,I dont know....I'm just a beginner Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #64 - 09/03/07 at 07:30:15

They actually make several grades of SS screws & bolts (cooking pans too). Identified by a numbering system (like 316).  Some have more alloys that oxidizes than others.  So, yes SS can be magnetic and can rust in the right situations.  The medical grade is the most non-magnetic and non-oxidizing there is, the aircraft grade is one of the strongest (and both are some of the more expensive).   SS tends to be more brittle (shears easier) so it's not a good idea to use SS for something that requires lots of torque (head bolts etc etc).  For the sides cover and misc things like that it works great.  SS also galls which is a condition where it basically flakes when it rubs against itself under pressure (screw to nut contact) so anti-sieze or WD40 is recomended.  Otherwise it could bind up badly.

If you are concerned about stripping the phillips head change to different style (hex head, allen head etc etc).  

Battery acid does attack some of the materials in SS (found out from my garden tractor).  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 09/03/07 at 08:40:21

Common SS fasteners are generally 80% as strong as their counter parts in steel.

And various grades of SS do rust as a brown spot.  But if you use plain steel work the pots (in this case) some of the plain steel can rub off and that can be the cause of your spots.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #66 - 09/03/07 at 23:33:57

Thanks T-mack1:

"If you are concerned about stripping the phillips head change to different style (hex head, allen head etc etc). "

That's what I needed!

I have another question :

I just read" Never charge a battery while its still in the machine as damage may result to the battery or regulator.

Should I charge it in the bike or not....should I be concerned? Any comments on this?

Do ya'll leave the pigtail in the bike connected to the battery?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #67 - 09/04/07 at 06:54:41

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks T-mack1:

I have another question :

I just read" Never charge a battery while its still in the machine as damage may result to the battery or regulator.

Should I charge it in the bike or not....should I be concerned? Any comments on this?

Do ya'll leave the pigtail in the bike connected to the battery?

Interesting question and another one that will have different view points.

In theory, yes, you could mess up the battery & regulator........if you hooked up the charger backwards......or used a charger of the wrong size.    If you use a std auto charger or trickle charger and hook up the leads correcctly you will be fine.  Heck......they sell the battery tenders for the purpose of being hooked all the time.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #68 - 09/05/07 at 00:08:55

T-Mack1.....yes later I thought kinda the same thing,why would they sell the pigtail with it ,if you couldnt do that...charge it in the bike.

I can't remember where I read that statement from....wish I could,but hopefully they are talking about a full charger,not a trickle charger Smiley

Also,Being low on money has made me worry too much ....I may get a extra job Smiley

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #69 - 09/05/07 at 15:35:59

Just a quick question- I learned way back about thirty years ago to disconnected the hot terminal first, and then the ground; and to connect the ground first and then the hot terminal..less likely to spark should you touch something metallic in the process.. is this correct?

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #70 - 09/05/07 at 15:57:50

Yes you can use WD40 around electrical parts. Do not spray it in areas where there will be sparks until it dries. Have known people who sprayed it inside distributor caps on cars to dry them out. Didn't wipe the excess out or let it air dry. Blew the distributor cap off the first time they cranked the engine. Works great as long as it's used properly!! Just like a lot of other stuff!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #71 - 09/05/07 at 18:38:00

It wasn't the WD-40 that is the problem, it used to be propelled out of the can with Propane. You could ignite the stream from the nozzle with a lighter or match. May have changed in recent years however. Thats why it worked as a intake manifold leak finder. At one time I even had a aluminum bendable wand the fir ona propane torch just for finding intake and carb to manifold leaks. Not as messy as carb cleaner or WD-40. There have been times I wish I could find another one. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #72 - 09/05/07 at 19:15:41

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Just a quick question- I learned way back about thirty years ago to disconnected the hot terminal first, and then the ground; and to connect the ground first and then the hot terminal..less likely to spark should you touch something metallic in the process.. is this correct?

The rule of thumb has always been disconnect negative first, then positive.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #73 - 09/06/07 at 12:56:45

Oh my Gosh! I just got the Clymer's manual and it is the difference between night and day in having it, as far as understanding things!

Just about every question(tools & mechanical) I've had so far is in this manual.

I had no idea it was this good Smiley

All newbies need this!! Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #74 - 09/06/07 at 13:55:33

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Oh my Gosh! I just got the Clymer's manual and it is the difference between night and day in having it, as far as understanding things!

Just about every question(tools & mechanical) I've had so far is in this manual.

I had no idea it was this good Smiley

All newbies need this!! Smiley

Be sure to look in the Tech Ref section for the known errors in the Clymers.  There are some of which to be aware.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery+checks for beginner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.