Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Battery+checks for beginner (Read 16 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Battery+checks for beginner
08/26/07 at 23:20:12

Need a little help or direction:

Ok, being new to all this still....I started out more trying to learn to ride and didnt pay much attention to the Bike checks and maintenance stuff,etc.....mainly because I had just paid alot for someone to check my bike over beforehand,change the oil,etc.

Well,today,thinking that I should already have known how to check things!I decided to learn.
I was going to check the oil,which the manual says to start it,let it idle a few minutes beforehand and I probably drained my battery from repeatedly trying to start it when it wouldnt start....so I got my manual out and started looking over things....

(First of all I did do a search on this site and tried to find info and couldnt,but if anyone can direct me to these answers/previous posts on,I would appreciate it.)

But,I tried to check my battery window and saw nothing but a battery sticker!I dont know what kind of battery I have even,but I "thought" previous owner said he had just bought it...but...anyway,I wouldnt have expected to see only a sticker thru the window! All it says is something about battery acid or something.

Then I tried to check the oil in the meantime and with a 2x4 piece,that someone said to use,I put the kickstand on it to lift the bike and it was barely showing oil....maybe wasnt upright enough,maybe because I hadnt started it yet....dont know.

Also, I wondered about oil....should you always put the same kind/type of oil in it....to add to or can you use a different kind. I think the mechanic used synthetic oil when changing it.

Any direction would be much appreciated......and I am going to buy/order the Clymers Manual this week in hopes that I can find more stuff on my own  Smiley

But until then......Thanks for any help!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Battery+checks for beginner
Reply #1 - 08/27/07 at 00:57:15

The shop needs to tell you what oil they put in, so you can top it off.

Sounds like you need to get a small charger on it. Some have said not to charge these little batteries with a full on car charger. Limit the charge to about 6 amps. I dont know about it, but it cant hurt to be easy on it. If it's that hard to start, something is wrong. If you want to check oil, idling isnt the way to warm it up. Go for a ride. When ya get back, park on a level place & get where there is good light on the side of the bike. Hold it so the handlebar just cant quite decide if it needs held up or down, then, its as straight up & down as it can be. Look in the window as you do this. It gets easier with practice, kinda like putting yer foot behind your head & standing on the other leg,, easy!
If it's a new battery, ask whoever put it in to give ya the scoop on it.There are a few modifications that you will want to make, I imagine, They accomplish more than juist the mods, they allow you to get used to messing with the bike. It's a fun & easy bike to own & maintain. Welcome. Don't let that battery sit around discharged, thats bad for them. Maybe get it out & take it to Autozone or ABC & have them charge it, just remind them its not a 150 amp hour battery & maybe slow is good. It isnt too hard to get out, remember, negative lead first. If you knock a wrench on the frame getting the neg lead off, no sparks, The other one, not so friendly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 08/27/07 at 01:51:30

Thanks!

Forgot to mention,it was my fault on letting the battery run down....I think,not sure....but I was not going to ride the bike,so I tried to start it ,with the kickstand down just to let it idle(forgot not to do this)...it turned over but wouldnt start,(actually I didnt think though that it would even turn over if kickstand was down !?)

When I realized what I did,I tried to start it the right way....but just turned over a few times and then nothing.

Plus it had not been started in a few/4-5 days.

Also, when you check the battery window,should you see a sticker there on the battery blocking the view?I thought the window just showed the water level.

Dumber question: Do you have to take the battery out to add water.....I'm hoping the answer is "No" Smiley Looks hard to get to.

But ...yes,it is fun to learn about your motorcycle and be able to do things yourself.

I ordered the clymers Manual....can't wait til I get it, the service manual is only very little help!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 08/27/07 at 01:59:45

Sorry,I meant the owners manual is only very little helpSmiley

I checked my reciept from mechanic...it only says 2 quarts oil 10-40(materials used)(not the type of oil) and complete inspection(ok).

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 08/27/07 at 02:15:16

Hi FreeSprit,
I hope this is not the case with yours, but when I bought my bike the previous owner had purchased the wrong battery for it, so they stuck in in backward so the + and- would reach the cables, which put the sticker in front of the window, and jammed the overflow valve against the case on the inside. The bike occasionally would not start either, or was hard to start.
Haven't had that problem since I bought the right battery.
Taking the battery out is no big deal!
First take off seat, and then just take toolbox cover off (shiny rectangular box thing on the right side) remove the few screws that hold on the toolbox (2 on bottom 1 on top), and you can see the battery.
Here comes the tricky part, remove the clamp on the left side (when you are sitting on the bike left) first!! I made the mistake off thinking the negative was on the other side and boy you should have seen it spark!!
The screw on the left battery clamp is easier to get to if you remove that big fat hose that blocks your way when you try to stick the Philips screwdriver in from the top. The hose is just clamped on. But is is possible without removing it.
Once you got the left clamp off, you can go and remove the right (a lot easier!!) What I did the second time around was screwing the screw back in, because the tiny square nuts that hold the screw can slide out when you pull the battery out. I lost mine inside the bike, turns out it was in one of the groves of the belt! OY!
The manual explains it pretty good, even though I had a bit of a hard time figuring out some of the pics. Good luck!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 08/27/07 at 02:50:50

Hi islandwahine,

You wrote:
when I bought my bike the previous owner had purchased the wrong battery for it, so they stuck in in backward so the + and- would reach the cables, which put the sticker in front of the window, and jammed the overflow valve against the case on the inside.

Me-Thanks,I knew that did not look right...the sticker!
But what is the overflow valve?

And youre right,the pictures in the owners manual....(well to put it in better word than I was going to say)....are screwy Smiley I can't tell what is what in those pics.

I never had a problem getting it started though until today.

Thanks for the instructions Smiley Hope I can do it!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/27/07 at 09:17:51

Someone here recommended a syringe for adding the distilled water to the battery. It IS the best answer. It allows for real control & wont just cover the hole & run everywhere without going in. How Does water Do that anyway? No, No, I really dont want a physics lesson,, sorry I asked.
If that battery is toast, get a gel pack type. Big Crank, about $50.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 08/27/07 at 10:46:18

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hi islandwahine,

You wrote:
when I bought my bike the previous owner had purchased the wrong battery for it, so they stuck in in backward so the + and- would reach the cables, which put the sticker in front of the window, and jammed the overflow valve against the case on the inside.

Me-Thanks,I knew that did not look right...the sticker!
But what is the overflow valve?

And youre right,the pictures in the owners manual....(well to put it in better word than I was going to say)....are screwy Smiley I can't tell what is what in those pics.

I never had a problem getting it started though until today.

Thanks for the instructions Smiley Hope I can do it!

I'm not sure if it is called an overflow valve or vent or???
But the battery that comes with the bike has a little bump on one side with a tube attached to it, it vents out something (don't ask me what!).
I bought a battery without one of those, I'm not sure what kind, but it was about $90! OY!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #8 - 08/27/07 at 11:33:18

For more info about this AND photos, check out the thread NOT a battery question? which covers a lot of your questions.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 08/27/07 at 12:01:38

Did anyone answer this previous question?

"Do you have to take the battery out to add water.....I'm hoping the answer is "No"  

I see instructions for taking it out....that's good.

But...you dont have to take it out to add water do you?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 08/27/07 at 12:29:18

I think it'd probably be easier than anything else.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #11 - 08/27/07 at 13:04:34

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Did anyone answer this previous question?
"Do you have to take the battery out to add water.....I'm hoping the answer is "No"  
I see instructions for taking it out....that's good.
But...you dont have to take it out to add water do you?

Um, sorry but the answer is YES, and Savage Rob is being a little sarcastic there.  Wink

Step-by-step is on the Tech Section.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 08/27/07 at 13:06:51

Free Spirit,
  Take the tool box cover off, get a flashlight and look.  I would think that it would need to come out.  there's not too much room in there.

I can't say from experience thought, because mine came with a new batteryand it's one size larger  (a model "...15..") and it just barely fits. A little scary how close the terminal gets when pushing in.  Thank goodness it it's a sealed type.   And it works......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 08/27/07 at 13:30:21

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Um, sorry but the answer is YES, and Savage Rob is being a little sarcastic there.  Wink

Step-by-step is on the Tech Section.

Apparently I am not a great searcher.....where in the tech forum is it? Under Batteries?

Also maybe would be a good idea to have a "newbie section" in the tech forum.....or maybe there is and I havent found it yet Smiley

I  read so much and go to so many posts in searching for things that I usually wind up "totally confused" Smiley

I am hoping the Clymers Manual(when I get it ) will eliminate alot of the frustration though....(ordered it,waiting on it to get here)

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 08/27/07 at 13:35:10

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Free Spirit,
  Take the tool box cover off, get a flashlight and look.  I would think that it would need to come out.  there's not too much room in there.

I can't say from experience thought, because mine came with a new batteryand it's one size larger  (a model "...15..") and it just barely fits. A little scary how close the terminal gets when pushing in.  Thank goodness it it's a sealed type.   And it works......

Thanks T-mack1 Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery+checks for beginner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.