Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Battery+checks for beginner (Read 16 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Battery+checks for beginner
Reply #15 - 08/27/07 at 14:00:54

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Um, sorry but the answer is YES, and Savage Rob is being a little sarcastic there.  Wink

Step-by-step is on the Tech Section.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all.  I tried to picture the battery box in my head and thought about removing the top - not a big deal... Unfortunately, after that the mental picture went somewhere into the realm of inspection mirrors and turkey basters and I decided it was far easier to remove the battery.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 08/27/07 at 16:24:17

Thanks guys......now just please tell me where it is in the tech forum......can't find it Smiley

Pictures always help...
since the owners manual has bad pics to say the least! Cant even tell which side or end of the motorcycle the item is on in their pics Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 08/27/07 at 18:53:29

I did a quick look and came up only with other threads like how to change cylinder head cap plug.  Not battery removal...or battery change....hmmmmmm

Well, here you go:
Battery Removal procedure:
1) remove tool kit cover.
2) remove tools.
3) remove seat (10 mm bolts, 2, one each side). Lift up back and slide seat to the rear.
3) remove three screws on tool compartment plate covering battery, one on top, two holding latch catch.  Make note of how latch is mounted!!!!
4) Disconnect negative terminal from battery.  Keep connector away from battery terminal!!! (tape? ? ?)
5)  Disconnect positive terminal.  Keep connector away from battery terminal!!!
6) Push battery out.  My 01' is easy from the opening in left (shifter) side.

For acid (water) level filling on non-sealed batteries:
7) Clean up any corrosion on terminals with mixture of Baking Soda & water. (yep....good old Arm&Hammer).
8 ) open each cell and top off level. Use either battery acid (auto store) or distilled water.  Dry off any over flow.  Avoid using Tap water as it has minerals and may shorten battery life.
9) optional: go to AutoZone (or local auto retail store) and pick up some anti corrosion spray, coat terminals as recommended on product.

Re-install:
reverse 6 thru 1.......

Your done..   Go ride!!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #18 - 08/27/07 at 19:24:04

T-Mack1.....you are so nice, thank you,

I just got back in from removing the battery....then I read your post....and I thought,hmmm,steps there I don't remember doing Smiley

But I got it out ok....and I'll use your notes to put it back in tomorrow, I can use them I'm sure as I was out in the semi dark doing all this Smiley

The battery is a (which I was very curious about the type it was,since it was in there so tight couldnt see)but...

it is a ..Yuasa super sealed high performance battery.....No where to put water....maintenance free,I think!?

So, I'll take it tomorrow and see about getting it charged?! I guess that's my next step since I tried again today to start it and it appeared dead.

Couldnt see the terminals good to see if any corrosion...at any point....got dark so will check tomorrow.

One question....do these type batterys go dead also, unless they're old?

I thought I had read on this site somewhere that these dont give you any problems ?! Maybe another kind,not sure.

You know I never had a problem with it until I dropped my bike....could just be coincidence though.

Thanks again!!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 08/27/07 at 19:35:15

T-Mack1:

I'm glad youre very good directions are posted though...I'm going to keep them until I'm sure I have it down pat....I mean how often do you remove the battery?! I hope not often Smiley

and its nice to have them here if any other new/beginner needs them!

Also....one more question,anyone,...do you have to remove the battery to charge it? I'm thinking if you have a charger at home...then no.

And what is  the best type of charger  for MC's?I'm sure I'll get one soon,so need to know.

Might as well have everything about battery's on this one topic here .... "maybe" put it in the tech section for newbies Smiley

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #20 - 08/27/07 at 19:42:47

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
T-Mack1:

I'm glad youre very good directions are posted though...I'm going to keep them until I'm sure I have it down pat....I mean how often do you remove the battery?! I hope not often Smiley

and its nice to have them here if any other new/beginner needs them!

Also....one more question,anyone,...do you have to remove the battery to charge it? I'm thinking if you have a charger at home...then no.

And what is  the best type of charger  for MC's?I'm sure I'll get one soon,so need to know.

Might as well have everything about battery's on this one topic here .... "maybe" put it in the tech section for newbies Smiley

If a battery is good, then there is no need to have a charger, cause the alternator on the bike is supposed to charge your battery while you are riding.
I would take the battery to a dealer and have them check it to see if it is dead. If it is they might be willing to charge it for you. If after riding around for a while, and your battery dies again, it's either a bad battery or your alternator is not working.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 08/27/07 at 20:44:58

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If a battery is good, then there is no need to have a charger, cause the alternator on the bike is supposed to charge your battery while you are riding.
I would take the battery to a dealer and have them check it to see if it is dead. If it is they might be willing to charge it for you. If after riding around for a while, and your battery dies again, it's either a bad battery or your alternator is not working.

Thanks,but...I do think its a good idea for anyone to have a charger. What if you forgot to turn off the key,etc....and let your battery drain?

You would need to charge it or sit home one Smiley

Also I dont know about charging batterys(and the type I have) for MC's....can you charge them quickly or need to charge them slowly...

My battery says charge at 1.2amps at 5-10 hrs.....dont think I could leave it with a dealer for that long SmileyIf that's my only option on charging.

BTW,I did a search on my particular battery and it is for the/fits the Suz Savage & the right year also....that was good news!

I heard there are some battery experts here. Maybe they will give us some more info SmileyOr don't have to be a expert!

Since the post was started ,has some good info already and I had such a hard time finding info on battery's...I hope all good info gets put here and its not dropped before someone answers these last questions.
Would sure make it easy for someone else to find the answers.In one placeSmiley

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 08/27/07 at 21:33:48

Thought of this a while ago.....Is there anything I could have knocked loose or bent or anything ,when I dropped my bike that would interfere with it starting?

Anything at all? I'm just wondering why my savage started so darn good,dropped the bike hard,and now having starting problems.Coincidence maybe but it makes me wonder....

Especially knowing now that I have a good type of battery!

Other question though is....is there anyway to tell how old your battery is? Stock Date or something? I don't know when it was put in. Was in when I bought it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 08/27/07 at 22:53:27

Well, Yea,, dropping it might do something to whether it starts. Check spark, check to see if fuel is in the bowl( crack that little screw sticking in the pointy down doohickey at the bottom of the carb,, uh huhh, high tech!! ) Make sure the plug wire is on the plug.  Fuel, air, compression, spark,, = putt, putt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 08/27/07 at 23:26:34

Thanks Justin,

Youre going to make a MC mechanic out of me yet Smiley

Hang on though and let me get my only help..owners(almost worthless)manual  Smiley

Ok,the basics:

fuel-I understand,air-I dont ,compression-I dont ,spark-I understand.

Air....only thing I know is the air filter...am I close?
Compression....dont have a clue.

But would be a good start to understand those! You have answers?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 08/28/07 at 05:11:09

There are a lot of different battery chargers out there.  I can say that I've been very pleased with my Battery Tender Jr.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #26 - 08/28/07 at 10:49:05

Batteries do go bad, nothing is perfect.  The sealed units do last longer than the non-sealed (vented) types only because they do better at keeping the water in.

Batteries normally go bad from two main reasons, the lead plates inside get too much oxide build up (old age)or the bottom gets a build up of sediment that is the results of the chemical reaction that happens during charging. (my grandfather use to work at an Exide plant around here).

If the battery is not new than dropping the bike could have shifted the sediment, causing a cell to "short" out and you would get weaker or no Amp's to start the bike.

Charigng your battery,.....  here's where the sealed units have to charge slower.  When you charge a battery, the acid/water boils a little.  The bigger the charger (amps) the more it boils.  Remember your science classes in school, when things boil the expand, so the vented batteries do better to relieve this pressure from expansion.  The sealed units do have pressure relieve valves, but.... if you try and charge it too fast and it could turn into a balloon, than pop.....actually a hiss than...blah...a mess

I use a 1 amp trickle charger over night.  A  Battery tender sold at cycle shops work better becuase they monitor the chagre level and do not over charge ( They also are tricke chargers).    

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/28/07 at 11:31:38

just my 2 cent's

wear eye protection (especially a newbie)

do not smoke around batteries.

get a battery tender and fit the pig tails permantly to the battery then when its laid up you can connect your tender and charge away, lay the wires under your seat,

on an upward note glad to see you girls looking after each other Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

allan.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #28 - 08/28/07 at 11:45:13

For the eventiual battery replacement I have been considering the "Big Crank".
Did someone say that the battery bay needs a modification for the crank to fit? If so what is it?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 08/28/07 at 13:26:34

I think there's a Big Crank that fits without mods.  I had to mod a bit to fit the Odyssey.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:32:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery+checks for beginner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.