Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
JC Whitney Trunk Installed (Read 88 times)
DanGill

JC Whitney Trunk Installed
08/25/07 at 19:32:10

I finally bought a luggage rack and a large trunk from JC Whitney for my S40. I have been needing lockable storage, and this seemed the least expensive way of getting it done. I looked at the Leatherlyke bags, but just couldn't go the cost. This setup cost me about $170 for the rack and trunk, and about $20 for some cutoff tools because  . . . the trunk wouldn't fit behind the stock sissy bar. The bar angled back too much and I was left with only about 1 1/2 inches to mount the trunk plate.

Here is the bike with the case mounted:

Here is the plate with the cut off sissy bar:

Here is the trunk from the front with the seat re-mounted:

Cutting off the sissy bar was a bit of an adventure, as it's solid chrome steel, about 5/8 inch square. I should have cut it lower, and I probably will trim it down after I get some more cutoff disks. I went through several getting to this point.

The trunk removes with the key, and I may drill it and put in some bolts to back up the latch. It will be holding my laptop, after all. I don't plan to remove it often.

Here's the link to the trunk:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000346517/...

I got the luggage rack from Oneida Suzuki.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: JC Whitney Trunk Installed
Reply #1 - 08/25/07 at 21:14:27

If it's to hold a Laptop it's a good thing you passed on the Leatherlykes -- my 15" Acer will not fit in my saddlebags.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 08/25/07 at 21:41:30

Ditto with my 15 inch DELL.
But if I put it in horizontally it sort of does, I did it last week.
I might get a new one next year, once the warranty expires. A 14 inch!!! lol!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 08/25/07 at 21:44:50

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I finally bought a luggage rack and a large trunk from JC Whitney for my S40. I have been needing lockable storage, and this seemed the least expensive way of getting it done. I looked at the Leatherlyke bags, but just couldn't go the cost. This setup cost me about $170 for the rack and trunk, and about $20 for some cutoff tools because  . . . the trunk wouldn't fit behind the stock sissy bar. The bar angled back too much and I was left with only about 1 1/2 inches to mount the trunk plate.

Looks really nice and handy!
And you are sure the front isn't going to flip up once you put something heavy in it?
Just joking I know the bike is too heavy for that to happen, but still, it looks like it would!
It doesn't bounce when you hit a bump?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #4 - 08/26/07 at 05:22:14

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
It doesn't bounce when you hit a bump?

I haven't actually been able to ride it yet.  :'( Too busy yesterday after getting the thing put on. Maybe today.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #5 - 08/26/07 at 21:10:29

Nice mod..  Would look awesome with some hard bags too.

Do you still have the sissy backrest pad?

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #6 - 08/27/07 at 08:04:53

ratdog472 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Nice mod..  Would look awesome with some hard bags too.

Do you still have the sissy backrest pad?

I have the backrest pad AND the top of the bar.

I rode to work today with my laptop in the case. No noticeable difference in the ride. I'm going to have to watch the luggage rack for signs of fatigue - there is a lot of leverage there.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/27/07 at 08:18:33

I guess you would like my rack.....it's a modified aftermarket from a '70's era Honda CB750.  A "barn-find" dusty but beatiful chrome.  Strong enough to pick the rear of the bike up.    Plus my Swiss Gear laptop bag bungie's on really nicely.

That hard case would fit really nicely........

See bigger picture at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/TomM_LS650.jpg

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/27/07 at 08:49:22

One day I'll remove my sissy bar and replace it with a similar sized bar only bent forward over the pillion.  And bolt on a similar case.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 08/27/07 at 14:02:15

Can you take (and post) a picture of the bottom (underneath) of the trunk mount?

I'm curious to see how much of the plastic case mount is actually sitting on the luggage rack....

I checked with my local stealership..  The pillion handle is $75.00.  I'm hesitant to cut mine and mount a 'universal' mount top case if there's some chace that I could bend the luggage rack.  The I'm buying a new luggage rack AND a new pillion handle...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #10 - 08/28/07 at 05:49:00

I'll post a picture when I get a chance. I actually had to move the case a little further back last night. It was rubbing against the stubs of the sissy bar. That's a temporary solution. I'm going to have to cut the bar off even with the top of the luggage rack so I can move the case a little further forward.

When I started to cut I was working under the mistaken assumption that the bar was square tubing, and I wanted to cut in so that I could re-mount it later using a smaller piece of tubing on the inside. Wrong-O! That puppy was solid. But I'd already started the cuts, and I was running out of cutting disks. I'll trim it further this week.

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/28/07 at 11:51:11

you could have fitted the other grabrail that is on these bikes without the pad then you would have the backrest to reuse or sell ,

I make my own racks as the aftermarket ones are rubbish and will not carry a lot of weight, laptop should be no problem though,
check our racks out on my site may give you or someone an idea,

allan.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #12 - 08/28/07 at 12:22:36

I did not know there was another grab rail, or I would have looked for one.

Live and learn.

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #13 - 08/28/07 at 14:35:04

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I'll post a picture when I get a chance. I actually had to move the case a little further back last night. It was rubbing against the stubs of the sissy bar. That's a temporary solution. I'm going to have to cut the bar off even with the top of the luggage rack so I can move the case a little further forward.

When I started to cut I was working under the mistaken assumption that the bar was square tubing, and I wanted to cut in so that I could re-mount it later using a smaller piece of tubing on the inside. Wrong-O! That puppy was solid. But I'd already started the cuts, and I was running out of cutting disks. I'll trim it further this week.

Dan,

Go the other direction. Get some square tubing that fits over the stubs and you'll be able to remount the sissy bar that way. Just make sure that the tubing has thick enough walls to take the stress.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 06/29/08 at 21:17:42

Dan,

Your trunk setup is similar to mine, except that I have a smaller, cheaper-looking trunk.  The trunk turns this bike into a really good errand-runner.  This is important to me as I do not own a cage of any type.

A word of caution, however.  The Suzuki luggage rack is not the best quality.  I've had welds bust on mine.  I'm currently using a couple of U-bolts to keep it fastened to the bike on the port side.

I'd keep an eye on it, for sure!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › JC Whitney Trunk Installed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.