Girlyfied seat lift (Read 27 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Girlyfied seat lift
08/25/07 at 17:33:22

I thought I'd better do this as a new post instead of putting it with the guy version of a seat lift. They'd probably toss it right out!
Here's what I ended up doing cause the hardware store did not have any urethane 1/4" washers. They only carried faucet washers and the thickest one was 1/8 on an inch at $1.29 each. You can calculate how much that would have cost me, not to mention making the holes bigger on 24 washers, seeing they only had a small puka in them. They didn't even have 24 of them.
Here is what I did:

I cut 2 1 1/4 inch dowel pieces (1 1/16 width), drilled a 1/2 inch wide puka about 1/2 inch deep (for the rubber thingies underneath tank bracket) and 1/4 all the way through for the bolt.
Then I glued the washers on them.
Then I had some chrome looking metal tape very stiff  and hard to handle and wrapped it around the wood a few times for looks and support. And then of course I did the girly thing of adding some 3mm rhinestones in cobalt blue fabric paint on the top and bottom edge.

E voila! my version of a seat lift!
I also put a little strip of rubber underneath the rubber cushions. Oh boy!! what a difference in height! good thing I have long legs!
Now I'm wondering if my turns are going to feel different with the seat being higher. I'd better go slow first.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Girlyfied seat lift
Reply #1 - 08/25/07 at 18:19:09

Girly or not, that's nice work!  Congratulations!  I know you're gonna' like it.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/25/07 at 19:17:34

Heck, that looks really good. Whatever works for you, is what works for you. Just keep an eye on the dowels for compression.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/25/07 at 19:17:42

to own a savage you must have a free spirit to wander the roads life throws at you and inginuity to get where you want to go regardless of the obsticles.

I've said it before you got talent.  you ought to post this with the others.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #4 - 08/25/07 at 19:40:10

Looks great! I lifted the front of my seat with a chunk of laminated oak and maple, cut to size and drilled for the bolts. I also relieved the center to help accommodate the seat lip. (I make cutting boards and I just used a chunk of the cutoff from a Texas-shaped cutting board - I always have plenty of scraps.) I did wrap electrician's tape around it to make it less obvious. I think I made mine a little over 1" high.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 08/25/07 at 20:18:01

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
..... I also relieved the center to help accommodate the seat lip.  

Where do ya'll put something to help with the risers....relieve the center,to use your words Smiley

I've looked everywhere for this and don't have a clue Sad

I want to do this tomorrow and I've looked at my bike but can't figure out exactly where to put the stuff to add.

Down in the seat frame...right? About middle ways?

And yes....islandwahine....looks very nice!!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 08/25/07 at 21:31:10

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Where do ya'll put something to help with the risers....relieve the center,to use your words Smiley

I've looked everywhere for this and don't have a clue Sad

I want to do this tomorrow and I've looked at my bike but can't figure out exactly where to put the stuff to add.

Down in the seat frame...right? About middle ways?

And yes....islandwahine....looks very nice!!

I gluegunned my rubber pieces to the already existing ones, the rectangular black rubbery things on the right and left side of the seat. If you don't see them, then someone removed them. What you'll see then is 2 pukas (holes) on the left and two on the right in the white plastic bottom of the seat.
The previous owner of my bike took them of the passenger seat. But you are right, the rubber cushion does rest on the frame.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 08/25/07 at 21:33:21

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
to own a savage you must have a free spirit to wander the roads life throws at you and inginuity to get where you want to go regardless of the obsticles.

I've said it before you got talent.  you ought to post this with the others.   Grin

Thanks for the encouragement!
Lets see if I can do your confidence in me justice next weekend when I attempt to change the oil in my forks.
BTW what kind of oil does one use for that?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 08/25/07 at 21:37:27

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Looks great! I lifted the front of my seat with a chunk of laminated oak and maple, cut to size and drilled for the bolts. I also relieved the center to help accommodate the seat lip. (I make cutting boards and I just used a chunk of the cutoff from a Texas-shaped cutting board - I always have plenty of scraps.) I did wrap electrician's tape around it to make it less obvious. I think I made mine a little over 1" high.

Guess we are both woodworkers!
I love to make stuff out of wood myself, my hobby.
I'm saving up for one of those gliding chop saws.
How has the wood been holding up?
no cracking or anything? That's why I glued the washers on top, and wrapped the metal tape around the dowels, to keep the wood from drying out an cracking. The metal tape is also very strong and doesn't stretch, so hopefully it braces the wood.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 08/26/07 at 05:51:53

Like the seat lift bobbins, don't think anyones done them out of wood before, nice one.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 08/26/07 at 07:40:49

Now THAT is a cool seat riser mod!  Cheesy

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 08/26/07 at 17:51:12

Every thumper pays homage to the classic Brit bikes in some form or another -- wooden dowels are just reminiscent of the classic wood framed Morgan!

Heck, they made enough three wheelers to almost qualify as a motorcycle!

Who but the Brits would still be making a wood framed car well past 1960!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Motor_Company

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #12 - 08/26/07 at 21:08:22

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
How has the wood been holding up?
no cracking or anything? That's why I glued the washers on top, and wrapped the metal tape around the dowels, to keep the wood from drying out an cracking. The metal tape is also very strong and doesn't stretch, so hopefully it braces the wood.

The wood is holding up very well. Hardwoods like hard maple, walnut, pecan/hickory, or white oak are very strong. Really, the front of the seat doesn't take much weight. The weight really rests on the rubber feet and through them to the frame.

Yep, I do the woodworking thing. It all started with a trip to the store to get a new circular saw for some shelves in my shed. I came home with a table saw, and the rest is history. If you want to see some of my cutting boards, go to www.texascrazy.com. There's a Texas shaped cutting board on the home page. Click on that and scroll down. I make the Texas shaped boards and the rectangular boards with a Texas shaped groove in the face. (Everything on the site is Texas themed.)

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 08/27/07 at 05:14:01

Islandwahine - looking good, I hope it is as comfortable as it looks.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 08/27/07 at 09:31:33

Very nice job!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:17:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Girlyfied seat lift

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.