Send Topic Print
Holy brakes Batman! (Read 11 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Holy brakes Batman!
08/25/07 at 14:48:56

My 2006 is at 3700 miles. I ride about 15 miles daily in city stop and go traffic.

Look what I found today when I changed the brake pads!  Shocked

Oh yeah. Maybe that squeeking noise really WAS the pads (or in this case the lack thereof).
Note the thickness difference in what is left of the original stock pads and the new EBCs.

And may I add that the 'dealership' said the original pads should be good through 6000 miles? Huh. Right. Maybe true, if I was using my Fred Flintstone feet to stop the bike instead of the pads.  Tongue

One last thing - a huge THANK YOU to the Tech Section contributors WITH PHOTOS that helped me through this task.

Girls, take note! The only thing I had trouble with was getting the piston back in place. None of my tools were wide enough to clamp it, and I was not strong enough to manually push it in, so I ended up placing a big fat wooden dowel into the bowl and hammered it in with a rubber mallet. Set the brake fixture on a prop (a short stepstool was my choice) for stability during this procedure. Mission accomplished.

Now I am off to slowly putt around my block and get the new brakes set a bit. Whew!  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Holy brakes Batman!
Reply #1 - 08/25/07 at 15:15:31

Go to Menards and get yourself a 6" C-clamp. Not sure about bikes, but a lot of automotive caliper pistons are made of ceramic. If it is ceramic, they can crack real easy and then you buy a new caliper, so you don't want to beat on them. Use one of the old pads and the c-clamp to squeeze the piston back. Much easier, too.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 08/25/07 at 15:21:00

I did try using my C clamps, but could not get a decent grip on either side.  I scratch damaged to the case trying to get the clamps to work.  Angry

The outer shell is curved, and the inside piston looks like soft brass which marred easily.  None my my clamps worked, even using various pieces of wood and cardboard to pad the sides.

However, using the old brake pad might have been an option.  In any case, the wooden dowel and rubber mallet were used on a soft pine wooden stool, all of which muffled the blows.  

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 08/25/07 at 15:33:11

EXACTLY!  See this recent thread:
[url]http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=di
splay;num=1186887735[/url]

The manual says to "Inspect" every 4,000 mi but you be long gone before then.  Replaced my original set at 2,100 miles - right at the wear limit line.  Maybe you'd get 4,000 if you rode cross country on the freeway using the brakes just once to stop at the destination  Angry

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 08/25/07 at 15:41:09

I took a peek at my break pads the other day when I had to get a new front tire. The pads themselves look fine, but the metal that holds them is flaking. Rust has gotten a hold of those. I'm not sure if that's going to affect my brakes. My back breaks are the ones that are squeaking when I use them. Not a good sign I suppose. Looked in the manual, but that job is just a tad too intimidating!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 08/25/07 at 15:43:25

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
My 2006 is at 3700 miles. I ride about 15 miles daily in city stop and go traffic.

Look what I found today when I changed the brake pads!  Shocked

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/08/25/bikepics-1003681-800.jpg

Girls, take note! The only thing I had trouble with was getting the piston back in place. None of my tools were wide enough to clamp it, and I was not strong enough to manually push it in, so I ended up placing a big fat wooden dowel into the bowl and hammered it in with a rubber mallet. Set the brake fixture on a prop (a short stepstool was my choice) for stability during this procedure. Mission accomplished.

Now I am off to slowly putt around my block and get the new brakes set a bit. Whew!  Smiley

You are sooo lucky by the way, not to have had those breaks lock on you!! I,m not sure if they can do this on a bike, but I don't see a reason as to why not.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 08/25/07 at 16:22:58

I'm all for being economical, but maybe you did squeeze a few extra miles out of those pads!  You certainly got your money's worth out of them.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 08/25/07 at 16:56:01

drharveys - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I'm all for being economical, but maybe you did squeeze a few extra miles out of those pads!  You certainly got your money's worth out of them.

LOL! Too true and I will squeeze a penny being Scots-Irish, but this is a bit much even for ME! <:^o

BTW - the old ones were the original Suzuki pads, and it was hard to tell they were THIS bad until I took the caliper off.  
For safety, and because it is REALLY EASY to remove that part, it may be wise to check your pads a little more often than the manual and Suzuki dealer say to.... Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/25/07 at 17:29:36

If you had placed each pad back in the calliper, you could have worked a wedge between & pried the piston back into position. Smacking on these items is not an okay thing. Glad you made it. I use C-clamp vise grips instead of C clamps. Much quicker to adjust & the job goes very quickly. They are cheap if ya get the Buffalo brand instead of Vise grip..Look in the discount bin at the auto parts store.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/25/07 at 17:42:03

OHH, yea, I forgot, Mine lasted 5,000 miles. You only got 3,700? Do you use the back brake at all? Is your front tire worn out? Have you mastered "Stoppies" on a Suzuki 650? How did you wear those dudes out so fast?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 08/25/07 at 20:07:41

Skatnbnc,
   The bottom right pad is showing signs of metal to metal contact.  That's not good, wears the rotor fast....You should get the rotor measured.  Manual says 4.0 mm (0.16in) limit.

Also look for groves cut in the rotor.  Grooves will cause minor premature wear on the new pads.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 08/25/07 at 21:10:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
OHH, yea, I forgot, Mine lasted 5,000 miles. You only got 3,700?
How you ride/drive makes a big difference.  My uncle had a '78 Thunderbird with brakes that looked new at over 150,000 miles -- about 99% superslab.

Ride your own ride.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/26/07 at 02:39:49

How was the front bumper on that T-Bird? Maybe he was just hitting things instead of hitting the brakes?

Light scoring in the rotor will cause a bit of wear on the first set of pads after the metal to metal contact, but it will polish down from the pad friction. I did that to several cars & didnt turn them. Had excellent barkes as soon as the pads wore to fit the grooves. Then, after it ate a set of cheap pads, I would put good ones on & as soon as they seated to the depth of the grooves, excellent brakes!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 08/26/07 at 07:07:46

If you had placed each pad back in the calliper, you could have worked a wedge between & pried the piston back into position. Smacking on these items is not an okay thing. Glad you made it. I use C-clamp vise grips instead of C clamps. Much quicker to adjust & the job goes very quickly. They are cheap if ya get the Buffalo brand instead of Vise grip..Look in the discount bin at the auto parts store.

I think we need to add these hints to the Front Brake Pad thread in the Tech Section.  I used what I had on hand, but if I had these other ideas I would have used them instead.

I had my Clymers manual open to the front brake page, and the Forum Tech Section Front Brake Pad thread printed out and sitting next to that. Guess which one I referred to and understood best? The FORUM stuff because it was first hand and very useful with detailed pics.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 08/26/07 at 07:16:25

OHH, yea, I forgot, Mine lasted 5,000 miles. You only got 3,700? Do you use the back brake at all? Is your front tire worn out? Have you mastered "Stoppies" on a Suzuki 650? How did you wear those dudes out so fast?

It wasn't me I swear!  Grin
I bought this Suzi from a girl who went up to a HD cruiser because she felt this bike was too "light".  She also drove in traffic, and obviously had a heavy hand.

I'm the one who skidded my BACK tire by using the BACK brake more during a quick stop.  My front tire still has the little rubber 'hairs' sticking out, and the tread still sharply delineated.

"The bottom right pad is showing signs of metal to metal contact. "
I know, and it worried me as soon as I saw it.  So I cleaned the rotor using a tissue and rubbing alcohol to inspect every milimeter for wear or roughness.

Thankfully it seems that metal wear on the pad is fresh and did not seem to have made any groove in the rotor. The brakes have been fairly quiet up until a week ago, which is when I ordered the new pads.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:28:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Holy brakes Batman!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.