Send Topic Print
Holy brakes Batman! (Read 11 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Holy brakes Batman!
Reply #15 - 08/26/07 at 10:49:11

I replaced front pads at 5,000 miles. At about 7,500 or 8,000 I bought a new set & hung in the garage. I have them ready to install & it is finally time at 15,000 miles. Why did I buy them at about 8,000 miles? Cuz I dont like waiting on stuff when I need it now, so I keep spares. Just saying..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #16 - 08/26/07 at 11:24:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Why did I buy them at about 8,000 miles? Cuz I dont like waiting on stuff when I need it now, so I keep spares. Just saying..

What? You mean you PLAN in ADVANCE?!  Grin
Actually I do too, so little by little the MC home repair kit is getting bigger, with more items in stock at hand as I go along.

A big help has been the ability to read on the forum what is likely to happen at certain stages, and be able to check and prepare for it, like the cam chain for example.  I'm not going to wait until the bike is whanging like a deisel freight train at 14K miles before I open that puppy up.

In fact, one day I was reading here about the stock brake pads not lasting worth squat and hardly even a day later the really noisy front brake squeek started.  Mind you, I had NO ISSUE until that new noise appeared. No major squeals, no pulling, no grinding, no problems stopping.

But, based on what I read here about how fast the original pads wear out, I ordered new pads that night when I got home, and changed them out as soon as I could.

Knowing in advance HOW to do that, with photos, and hearing about the problem from first-hand experience of other Suzi owners probably saved my brakes from freezing up entirely, and surely prevented an accident; which in turn is why I showed photos of how bad mine were.

Getting a bike second-hand means you just don't know for sure what the previous owner did (or did not) do.  And by golly if you got 2,500 on your bike, you 'might' want to pop the cylinder off soon for a look-see!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 08/26/07 at 13:36:35

Those look like the brake pads on the FireLizard before I changed them out. PO obviously did not take care of it before he sold it to the pawn shop where I bought it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #18 - 08/26/07 at 14:34:15

glad to see it was easy for you reading the site, will have to try it one of these days also, site pics nad instructions are great

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 08/26/07 at 15:47:06

Yea the stock front pads are junk, I had to replace mine on my '02 at 2,200 miles. They weren't worn down quite that bad but were shirt card-board thin. I think I used a big C clamp on the caliper piston.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/26/07 at 19:41:44

after you changed the breaks did they stop squeeking?

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #21 - 08/27/07 at 05:42:08

BigWes wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
after you changed the breaks did they stop squeeking?

It appears the new pads completely eliminated the squeeking.
Problem is its been raining so hard I've not had a chance to work on setting the new pads yet, and have not tried a stop above about 5 mph.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/27/07 at 06:58:48

when you do, take it to a lonely road and do quite a few stops from speed to get a feel for the new brakes.  And to make sure they're seated before you take to the streets.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:10:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Holy brakes Batman!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.