Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Easiest way to improve exhaust sound (Read 43 times)
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Re: Easiest way to improve exhaust sound
Reply #15 - 08/27/07 at 15:30:33

I DO!   Grin  Someday I'll be riding one...maybe I should put that mod off, nah...I'm keepin my BLUEZUKI...

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 08/27/07 at 15:53:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
It is well known that drilling this boat anchor rareley yields acceptable results....

That was a tongue and cheek question, you know.  I imagine that you know that I didn't do that to my own bike.

There are a few above that have mentioned the method I'd suggest, but in the end it always boils down to a discussion of how to do it cheap and lazy.  

I should have suggested buying a used muffler that someone else didn't want, right? Tongue

Sorry.  This topic is just another "Never heard of....".

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 08/27/07 at 16:02:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If you have the smarts to swap the muffler, you can rejet the thing. The main jet only requires the bowl be removed. That can be done with the carb still mounted. I used an offest screwdriver. It is bent 90* on each end. If you can find one that's phillips on both ends, great.

That won't work too well if the bowl has never been removed before.  Screws are too tight.  You'll never get enough leverage on an offset screwdriver and just round off the heads.

Go ahead, pull the whole carb the first time.  Then you can actually see what you're doing, change the spacer, main and pilot jets and then close it all up with allen head bolts instead.

Besides, you can actually see what you're doing that way, and you'll learn something in the process.  The allen heads will then be there to just drop the bowl next time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 08/27/07 at 18:34:56

Get some anti sieze to have in the garage & some blue loc-tite, too. Gregs likely right about the first time with the bowl screws. If I remember, I had to fight & went with an impact.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cglenn
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/29/07 at 17:04:16

assuming the use of a stock Harley Dyna muffler what jets need to be changed and what size ? Come you guys who have done the hard work of figuring it out share the wealth.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #20 - 08/29/07 at 20:58:24

surfa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hello -

I'm looking for the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to improve the stock sound on my stock s40 savage.

Thanks.

Easiest way: Get rid of stock muffler
Cheapest way: Used Harley dyna muffler
Works every time, make sure you buy a "baffled" dyna muffler or you will need to re-jet.
FYI

Ike
Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
murphy77

Savage + Devil =
Good Times !!!

Nevada
Reply #21 - 08/29/07 at 21:52:37

Hey all,

That's what I installed, a " baffled " HD Dyna muffler. No need to rejet. Sounds and runs great. $50 on Ebay.

Take care...Dennis

Yellow '96, Dyna Muffler, Sportster Seat.
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #22 - 08/30/07 at 01:46:49

I put a dyna muffler on my '06 and rejetted to a 55 pilot and 152.5 main. Shaved the spacer to 1/2 thickness. You can feel a huge difference in performance and I am still more than 50 mpg. I used a 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 exhaust pipe adapter from Autozone to connect between the header and the muffler. Had to use red high temp silicone to get a good seal. This winter I am taking it apart and having a proper adapter bent and then have it all welded up. With the 'zone adapter you will have just enough room in the slot on a dyna muffler to get one bolt in the mount. I do not have enough play at the header to cylinder head to keep at good seal. I am right at the edge and really have the pipe in more of a bind than I care too. Went to one muffler shop while I was doing the install and they didn't even want to talk about doing any work at all. I got frustrated and did the best I could on my on. I really like the sound of the dyna muffler. It's deeper but not so loud that the neighbors will talk bad about you. Does drive one of the neighborhood dogs crazy but you can't please them all!! Search the tech section for the muffler swap. It's straight forward. I was lucky enough to aquire a complete dyna header pipe with heat shields and all. I cut one of the heat shields that was straight enough to size where it had the clamp on the back side. Dab'd a little black rustoleum along the edge I cut and it looks pretty much factory. You can buy aftermarket heat shields as well. Good luck!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 08/30/07 at 05:13:19

Ike, Murphy77 & Grandpa,
  Did you use the stock Dyna like EBay item 330159648278 that are tappered on both ends?  I want to get rid of the whistle in my pipe, but don't want the super loud noise level.  (this all came to a head last weekend when I pulled into my friends driveway and he said he thought I was the neighbors ATV or minibike,..ouch.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=33015...

I do see some flat black ones in both the tappered style and the slash cut style for you bobber guys.

item:190145370163
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=19014...

and Item: 200147260414  (not sure if this one has the brackets)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=20014...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #24 - 08/30/07 at 07:16:20

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
make sure you buy a "baffled" dyna muffler or you will need to re-jet.

Ike
Grin

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't dreaming.   There is at least one that didn't require a rejet.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #25 - 08/30/07 at 08:38:20

When I got my 02 last summer I read on the forum that there is not much difference between the dyna and stock as far as back pressure goes. I ran the dyna without a rejet  for 5k and had no problems.

IP Logged
murphy77

Savage + Devil =
Good Times !!!

Nevada
Reply #26 - 08/30/07 at 08:39:33

Hello T-Mack1,

Yes, I used the exact stock double tapered muffler, you're showing in your Ebay link.

Did the soda can strips to fill the gaps and used Permatex ultra copper high temp. silicone for a perfect leak free seal.

Love the sound...Dennis

Yellow '96, Dyna Muffler, Sportster Seat.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 08/30/07 at 09:22:06

Murphy77,
 Thanks!!  

Just have to get the better half to  understand......maybe I can use the Safety thing,  "But honey, they will know I'm there better because they will be able to hear me better......."

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 09/01/07 at 12:33:09

I run a 12 inch glaspack (without packing) and a baffled 29 inch fishtail pipe. 155 main, 55 pilot. Smokes like an older diesel now at idle. I'm jetting it down a step this afternoon, both circuits. Have not messed with the spacer, pretty sure I need to.

Jets are cheap. Mufflers and such relatively so.

Take your time, ask Lancer and Greg if you run into problems, both are fair hands with carb work.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 09/01/07 at 14:55:04

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Murphy77,
 Thanks!!  

Just have to get the better half to  understand......maybe I can use the Safety thing,  "But honey, they will know I'm there better because they will be able to hear me better......."

Absolutely, it is definitely a MATTER OF PERSONAL SAFETY !   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:28:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Easiest way to improve exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.