Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Easiest way to improve exhaust sound (Read 43 times)
surfa
Ex Member

Easiest way to improve exhaust sound
08/24/07 at 22:44:42

Hello -

I'm looking for the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to improve the stock sound on my stock s40 savage.

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Easiest way to improve exhaust sound
Reply #1 - 08/24/07 at 22:51:15

search 'harley take off'

here's one

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?action=search2

there's a lot more

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 08/25/07 at 07:40:38

1/2" drill bit and cordless drill?

Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/25/07 at 08:34:36

It is well known that drilling this boat anchor rareley yields acceptable results.It eliminated the possible use of the stock muffler should that ever become a legal issue. For those who would say it cant happen, please note the current state of the protections offered by the constitution & how they are being ignored today versus just 10 years ago. No one knows what is coming. I wouldnt mess my stocker up. The HD takeoffs are the best deal, bang for the buck. You get a better sound, free flowing exhaust which translates to more power, & if you see it the way I do, the Dyna muffler looks dang good. I put a Supertrapp on mine, but it was $$ exSPENDsive. I think you will be plenty happy with the HD take off and it will weigh a lot less than that stock piece of poo & look better. So, gain performance, sound better, lose weight, all for less than $30.00? If that is an S40, then the stock main is like a 145? . Anyway, it's too lean, so you will need to rejet. It's easy, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #4 - 08/25/07 at 08:54:07

justin-0, can you please tell me which HD take offs (or other replacements) DO NOT require a rejet?  Much obliged!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
surfa
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/25/07 at 09:22:29

Justin-O,

Thanks for the info - yes indeed, can you share with us the answer for the quesiton on the previous post.

Also, do you have pictures of what this looks like, and where can i purchase one.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 08/25/07 at 10:00:24

From what I understand, you can't change the muffler without re-jetting. This is just what I understand, I could be wrong. Just wait a little longer and I am sure several others will chime and either confirm or deny what I have just said.

I personally am using a Jardine slip-on that a buddy of mine gave me and rejetted my carb using a 152.5 main and 55 pilot.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 08/25/07 at 10:49:56

So how do You think You will get more flow without a rejet?
There is no free lunch in this life. The stock bike is marginally lean. If You go for more flow/air/, You will have to give more fuel/rejet/.
The only thing You can do is to install a short Sporty exhaust which will give You slightly louder and better sound and will keep just about the same flow. And knowing that HD has 2 pipes, You buy both. You punch the baffle from one and You keep other syock. Install the stockwithout rejetting. When You are ready to do some more work,Youo install the debaffled and You rejet.
  Or the other option is to stick to  SUPERTRAP and keep as many plates,as it takes to run stock jetting.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #8 - 08/25/07 at 13:16:49

I thought I recalled reading somewhere there are one or two replacements that didn't require a rejet.  That was the reason for my question.

I too am a Mechanically challenged person looking for an easy fix so when I wear my FF Helmet, I can actually hear the bike...  Wink

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/25/07 at 13:44:57

If you have the smarts to swap the muffler, you can rejet the thing. The main jet only requires the bowl be removed. That can be done with the carb still mounted. I used an offest screwdriver. It is bent 90* on each end. If you can find one that's phillips on both ends, great. I think the bike need jetted even if you keep the stock muffler. I am no whiz mechanic but I think the engine would last longer running a bit richer. IF it has the power you want as it is & all you really want is a better sound, then I guess what the last person said, about the sporty mufflers is the way to go. I dont lknow which mufflers are restrictive & which are free flowing, others have experience here. I did the Supertrapp myself. Buying 2 mufflers is an option if you dont want to do the whole thing at once, but I would start by rejetting richer & then stick an exhaust on. It wont hurt that thig to run rich a week or two.Then, when you replace the muffler, watch the inside of it at the end & see if it's got soot or if it's pretty clean inside. Start by l;ooking inside the stocker. Drag a finger in it & see how clean it is. Pull the plug & look at it. then rejet. Watch the exhaust for soot, Check the plug after a few days of riding, get a few huindred miles on it.Stick a new plug in when the muffler goes on. Make it easy on yerself, do the spark plug door now, the first time you pu;ll the plug. Piece of cake.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 08/26/07 at 06:30:47

I put a Sportster muff on my bike about 7k miles ago and haven't gotten around to any carb adjustments yet. Runs fine and only sounds a little louder than I would like. No complaints from the neighbors. I don't know what was done to the carb and such before I bought it used with 9k miles on it two years ago and it's coming up on 23k now. If you want to see what it looks like on the bike here's a few pix of the Thunder Bee.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #11 - 08/26/07 at 14:20:18

Thank you guys!  Appreciate your input.  New muffler may become part of the winter project as well.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #12 - 08/26/07 at 17:31:33

Put a SuperTrapp on it!!
You will be amazed at the increase of power. Don't exceed 8 discs with stock jets. Rejet the carb, and you can add more discs and get even more power. Also, put a K&N air filter on it for even more power at higher engine speeds.
This little 650 can be pushed to a lot more power with some fairly simple mods. The big one is the exhaust. By the way, the SuperTrapp weighs 10 pounds less than the stock muffler.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 08/26/07 at 19:24:42

So to anwers the question "which take off"

Harley Dyna Muffler.  

My freind has a 2006 and I measured it today.  The Harley mounting bracket on the muffler is slotted and the slot will allow the bolts to line up.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
tbear

former thumper

Des Moines, Iowa
Reply #14 - 08/27/07 at 15:27:20

Ride behind a Harley!  Grin

white & silver '07 C50|windshield|debadged|throttle rockers|gutted stock pipes|lowered 2 1/2"|DJ drive|passenger pegs/pillion removed|contour solo rear rack|saddlebags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:30:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Easiest way to improve exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.