Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1 st time this part has broken? (Read 9 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
1 st time this part has broken?
08/24/07 at 16:33:51

Headed to town today for errands and as I came up to the 3 rd stop sign the clutch lever went slack. Stopped back of the line with the red switch and waited for traffic to clear coming across the intersection. The hand lever moved the case lever Ok so it was internal, Started the bike up and no rude noises, so pushed off and snicked it into 1 st gear. OK, so I headed for home using the minimal amount of stop signs and even those were idle throughs with no LEO's in sight. Got home, up on the rack, dumped the oil, Remove the exhaust and RH side cover, the cast iron cam that pushed on the clutch release pin had broken in two pieces. Made a parts list and went to town in the Colorado PU. Parts are on order and may be here in a week, asked if an 88 cover would fit the 96 and the parts guy says, same number. B-i-L has an 88 he isn't riding due to a broken Left femur (17 pieces) that ended up with broken and loose screws earlier this month, he is still on sticks. Was going to borrow his cover and he said I've got the new registration tab here, go ahead and ride it. So I'll charge its battery, and preflight it as soon as it cools* some and be back to 'scootin' again. Max
*We are back in the 90's again here daytime, beautiful riding weather this year, hardly any missed days. Hope Fall stays the same.  

Cam tensioner is at 18 mm to chamfer on body but not wearing oval like last time. Chain is still tight with 12 K miles estimated. Have to check the maintenance records.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 1 st time this part has broken?
Reply #1 - 08/25/07 at 08:51:39

HIs is at 18 mm or yours?
What are ya gonna do? Shim under the front tensioner & bring the cam back into spec( timing). Extend the tensioner arm to force it back into the tensioner body? You know the chain isnt wiped out. Have you considered doing a cam while you are in there?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/25/07 at 10:24:07

Mine is at 18 mm and the chain is tight. It was replaced, tensioner, chain and crank gear about 12 K miles on it. Seems like there is about 5mm to go compared to the old one that went south. I didn't measure new so I don't have a clue how much it has worn. Any repairs wil wait until wet cold weather if I can make it happen that way. It's 'scootin' weather.  Max

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 08/25/07 at 15:37:42

I remember a post some time back about the clutch actuating cam breaking, so not the first time.  It caught my attention as rather unusual, perhaps a design weakness?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 08/25/07 at 16:48:34

And even more suprises, I've been running a RAASK drag pipe with the last foot cut off for a header and when I looked into it today for an unknown reason, was I ever surpised. The inner liner had distorted and fractured and had a chunk out of it. No wonder the outside pipe was well past blued. Have sent pics to Greg and RAASK and will have to decide quickly what to do as I've sent my stock head pipe long ago to someone who needed it. Maybe that was why the fisrt HD FXD muffler center baffle went, the chunk that is missing may have lodged there and increased the restriction. Will usethe flashlight and look some more before it goes back together. Meanwhile have been riding my B-i-L's 88 and what a difference, not bad, but much lighter and rougher feeling than the loaded down bagger. Lots more wind and lower seat w/o the airhawk pad, can tell my knees are bent more. Max

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 08/28/07 at 22:28:29

And the funniest thing is that today somebody brought me for a repair a '96 Savage with the same clutch problem- actuator in 2 pieces. Luckily I had all the parts, that i needed so everything is back together.
By the way the bike has 30.5 K miles.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:30:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1 st time this part has broken?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.