Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forward controls or Higway bar with clamp-on pegs? (Read 13 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Forward controls or Higway bar with clamp-on pegs?
08/24/07 at 14:57:56

Ok, you Savage geniuses....

I chalked up a bit over 1300 miles this week...  For the most part, I'm doing ok, considering the ammount of time I spent in the saddle.

I already had my seat re-upholstered with memory foam and a gel insert, so my butt did ok  (it still got sore, but that was after 2 hours or more at a stretch..).  What really suffered were my knees.

I thought he stock riding position is pretty neutral, but why do my knees hurt so much?  I found relief by stretching my legs out and resting them on my footpegs but don't want to do that too often (putting my feet closer to the pavement at 60mph isn't a really good idea.)

So what can I do about it?

I have three options. 1: Make or buy forward controls. 2: Buy the Suzuki highway bar and mount forward foot pegs on the tube. 3: Trade in the bike for something a bit better set up for long-distance highway travel.

I really don't like option 3.  So that's not the answer.

So my question is which option will I be better off with?  The Highway bar and pegs is ALOT cheaper than the forward controls, but just how much farther forward will the clamp on pegs be?

Or will I be best off by switching to forward controls?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
tbear

former thumper

Des Moines, Iowa
Re: Forward controls or Higway bar with clamp-on p
Reply #1 - 08/24/07 at 15:45:49

I had the same situation after riding my Savage for any extended length.  Oh, how my knees would ache.  My solution was forward controls from Seeger Cycle.  They were a bit pricey, but, WOW, what a difference!  It stretched me out an additional half foot and and that is a good thing for any tall rider (I'm 6'2").  I thought about a highway bar with pegs, but my concern was with the pegs interfering with the stock controls.  They would have to be mounted low on the bar to be ergonomically correct, and that would compromise the controls.  Moving the pegs up on the bar would negate what I was tying to do in the first place, which was to make a more comfortable ride.  Plus, forward controls will keep you stretched out ALL the time, where as the stock controls and pegs would cause you to have to move back and forth between the two.  Riding in the city wouldn't allow you to utilize the pegs much at all, if any.  I found that the constant shifting/braking needed when riding in the city added to my knee misery.  Not now with the forward controls.  Constant shifting/braking is absolutely knee friendly.    

white & silver '07 C50|windshield|debadged|throttle rockers|gutted stock pipes|lowered 2 1/2"|DJ drive|passenger pegs/pillion removed|contour solo rear rack|saddlebags
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #2 - 08/24/07 at 19:27:02

I have the Suzuki highway bars with footrests, and they're pretty much useless for me (6'0" with 34" insearm). They're very high to clear my big toes, and they don't give me any knee relief, really.

I'm also looking at forward controls or a different bike before too long.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/27/07 at 06:31:35

One of those times I like being 5'8".

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tbear

former thumper

Des Moines, Iowa
Reply #4 - 08/27/07 at 10:01:39

Before I added the forward controls, that was the only time I wished I was shorter.       Wink

white & silver '07 C50|windshield|debadged|throttle rockers|gutted stock pipes|lowered 2 1/2"|DJ drive|passenger pegs/pillion removed|contour solo rear rack|saddlebags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:09:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forward controls or Higway bar with clamp-on pegs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.